Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Silly question S5 compared to a RS5

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RS5 really screams over 5k rpm.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Coming from your big brother point of view and sorry for intruding with the 7, the cosmetic difference between the S and RS7 is the much more aggressive bumper and different rocker panels wich contributes to the 22k base difference on the 2016. Perhaps audi should consider a different bumper across the RS lines.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

OT: Mitodad - just curious, when you typed out your signature, did you leave out the model on purpose? Is it an A7? Is it even an Audi?!

2014 Prestige Ibis White, Velvet Beige with Peat carpet and tan Weather Tech front/rear/hatch digital fit liners, Full LED, Driver Assist and Innovation Pkgs, Layered Oak, 20" Sport Pkg, Rear air bags, 3M Black roof wrap, X-Pel Ultimate complete wrap except for roof, 3M Crystalline window tint excluding windshield but including sunroof, Vossen Graphite with machined face CVVS 7 rims. Just Plasti-Dipped chrome including grill and emblems, mirrors wrapped in Carbon Fiber and have AWE Diamond Black Quad-tip Touring exhaust with S-7 valance.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

No I didn't do that on purpose, never really thought about as I always hang out in the a7 forum which is what I have.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitodad
No I didn't do that on purpose, never really thought about as I always hang out in the a7 forum which is what I have.
The A7 is sex on wheels so we'll give you a pass.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thx for the pass and just updated signature
Old 03-28-2015, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dseag2
The A7 is sex on wheels so we'll give you a pass.
Noticed that you need to add another post quickly as this post of yours is numbered"666".
Old 03-29-2015, 02:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Not only the engine in the RS5 is different

Of course the high-rev V8 in the RS5 gives a totally different driving experience (not only a much better sound then the V6C, but also more lineair power build up, and more racy, not so strange, since it is based on the Lambo V10 less 2 cylinders) but there is more.

Drove a S5 with V6C for 3 years, and it is fast, especially because of the higher torque in lower revs, but it is much more nervous. Despite the better mileage on paper, when you really use the car, the V8 uses less fuel per mile/kilometer then the V6C, only when you drive slow, the V6C will do better on 1 liter/gallon of fuel. And as is known, the V6C has many, many problems (replaced engine 3(!) times in two different cars, compressor issues, injector issues [see recall of all 3.0 V6T engines!], kats too hot issues, etc, etc).

Drove my RS5 now for 60K km, and NO problems of any kind so far.

Besides the engine, also the S-tronic in the RS5 is different: faster gear shifts, and a real manual mode (so no automatic upshifts when you drive in Manual).

Also the brakes are better up to the job, and the chassis is firmer/stiffer, as well is the steering. Finally the suspension of the RS5 is also different from the S5.

Better drive a S5 and a RS5 next to each other on the same day, and, when price is not an issues, make your choice.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wieRS5
Also the brakes are better up to the job, and the chassis is firmer/stiffer, as well is the steering. Finally the suspension of the RS5 is also different from the S5.
You have addressed an important issue. If I could change just one thing on my S5, it would be a having a firmer suspension.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by wieRS5
Of course the high-rev V8 in the RS5 gives a totally different driving experience (not only a much better sound then the V6C, but also more lineair power build up, and more racy, not so strange, since it is based on the Lambo V10 less 2 cylinders) but there is more.

Drove a S5 with V6C for 3 years, and it is fast, especially because of the higher torque in lower revs, but it is much more nervous. Despite the better mileage on paper, when you really use the car, the V8 uses less fuel per mile/kilometer then the V6C, only when you drive slow, the V6C will do better on 1 liter/gallon of fuel. And as is known, the V6C has many, many problems (replaced engine 3(!) times in two different cars, compressor issues, injector issues [see recall of all 3.0 V6T engines!], kats too hot issues, etc, etc).

Drove my RS5 now for 60K km, and NO problems of any kind so far.

Besides the engine, also the S-tronic in the RS5 is different: faster gear shifts, and a real manual mode (so no automatic upshifts when you drive in Manual).

Better drive a S5 and a RS5 next to each other on the same day, and, when price is not an issues, make your choice.
Yes. You can get a manual trans in the S5 to avoid the upshift problem. If you live in an urban area with stop and go traffic the manual may be too much hassle. Living in the mountains this is not a problem with our 2014 S4.

Our 2015 RS5 is more fun to drive. And it has a feature that automatically keeps the car from gaining speed in first gear going downhill. The S4/S5 does not have this feature so you have to use the brakes going down our fairly steep driveway.

The S5 is a better urban daily driver. RS5 is more fun in the twisties. With adaptive suspension option the S4/S5 has a smoother more compliant ride. RS5 is a stiffer sport suspension and is not adjustable. Drove the S5/RS5 back to back and found the RS5 to be firm but not harsh. Certainly not unpleasant.

Both cars are great. Just decide what works for YOU.

Quick Reply: Silly question S5 compared to a RS5