Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Silly question S5 compared to a RS5

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've not seen many with the 3.0, (mostly the discontinued 3.2 NA) that is used in many more Audi models, with carbon issues yet. Yet, you have already mentioned a "minor" carbon buildup in your RS on another thread.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...fixed-2878603/

Last edited by lmariorod; 03-23-2015 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by 68l
Good healthy debate here. Ok, let me follow up with this question. Which car is a better daily driver. I imagine most of us will never track our cars. Nor do we live in Germany where we can enjoy the limits of driving a car priced at 85k.
I think this is subjective as well. I personally prefer the RS5's smoothness at low rpm. I dislike the jumpiness of the 3.0 SC down low. I prefer an engine that is tame down low, but wakes up if you rev it as opposed to an engine that gives it all away in the low and mid range and has nothing to follow up up high. I guess I prefer the girl that plays hard to get vs. the one that gives it away with little effort :-).

Originally Posted by lmariorod
I've not seen many with the 3.0, (mostly the discontinued 3.2 NA) that is used in many more Audi models, with carbon issues yet. Yet, you have already mentioned a "minor" carbon buildup in your RS on another thread.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...fixed-2878603/
Yes, I have mentioned that based on what I've been told by the dealer. That was around 15k miles and I'm now at 30k miles. I now think it has more to do with the crappy winter fuel we are getting here in CA and the fact that we can only get 91 octane. I'm sure missing the BP Ultimate 102 RON I was feeding it in Germany during my ED trip.

I haven't had them stick the camera in there again to see if it has gotten worse, but the engine runs fine. I had a few cold start misfires again this winter, but they went away, so it looks like bad fuel again. So far I've been living by the moto of "A redline a day keeps the mechanic away" :-). As far as I can tell, the car pulls as hard as ever.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

My RS5 is a daily driver here in ND, winter and summer. No complaints. Only change is winter wheels/tires and change to summer wheels/tires, April and November.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=superswiss;24668909]The only fair comparison is stock for stock and personal taste is completely subjective.

In addition, the side by side comparison shows an RS with optional 20" and the S with stock 18". So much for stock for stock.

Last edited by lmariorod; 03-23-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

[QUOTE=lmariorod;24669032]
Originally Posted by superswiss
The only fair comparison is stock for stock and personal taste is completely subjective.

In addition, the side by side comparison shows an RS with optional 20" and the S with stock 18". So much for stock for stock.
The 20" are still stock wheels. The base wheels on the RS5 are 19" with optional 20". The base wheels of the S5 are 18" with optional 19". That's part of the different looks we are discussing here. To get 20" on an S5 you have to go aftermarket.

EDIT: Notice I didn't argue which one looks better. I thought this thread was about the RS5 looking too much like an S5 and I pointed out that they look quite different. They'd still look different if the RS5 had the base 19" wheels in that side-by-side.

Last edited by superswiss; 03-23-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Well, was skiing and didn't catch this thread.

Always interesting when "we" debate 2 seemingly similar cars that really aren't. This would be the same as comparing a Corvette ZR1 with a Z06, both are higher performance versions of the base car, have subtle changes to body kit and tires that most wouldn't notice. The bigger changes are under the skin and are felt through your butt; diffs, suspension, horsepower all make the driving experience very different. I never drove an RS5, but did drive an S5 with the sport diff / suspension which I believe the RS has and the difference is very noticeable, even on normal highway cloverleafs at higher than recommended speeds.

So the real question is whether it is worth the extra cash for the difference and / or whether you want to spend the extra money. For me, it was both a matter that the S had the performance I wanted and I have 2 kids in college and one headed there. For others, the answer is different. My answer: Viva la Difference!

Last edited by lyleswk; 03-24-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lyleswk
Well, was skiing and didn't catch this thread.

Always interesting when "we" debate 2 seemingly similar cars that really aren't. This would be the same as comparing a Corvette ZR1 with a Z06, both are higher performance versions of the base car, have subtle changes to body kit and tires that most wouldn't notice. The bigger changes are under the skin and are felt through your butt; diffs, suspension, horsepower all make the driving experience very different. I never drove an RS5, but did drive an S5 with the sport diff / suspension which I believe the RS has and the difference is very noticeable, even on normal highway cloverleafs at higher than recommended speeds.

So the real question is whether it is worth the extra cash for the difference and / or whether you want to spend the extra money. For me, it was both a matter that the S had the performance I wanted and I have 2 kids in college and one headed there. For others, the answer is different. My answer: Viva la Difference!
Well, yes. I have a 2015 RS5 and a2014 S4. Both are great cars. S5 has adaptive suspension. RS5 does not. RS5 can get red brake calipers and sports exhaust . 450 hp vs 333. S5 can get with mt. RS5 dct only. Both are great.

It's an 18k decision. You will get most of it back on resale/trade.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

You need to look past the HP numbers...it is Torque that makes the car go. The S5 has 325 lb-ft and the RS5 has 317 lb-ft. The S5 wins this by the smallest of margins. Yes, the V8 in the RS does like to rev (to 8250 RPM) but the V6 in the S has lots of grunt. I drove both before I bought my S and for the SC V6 a bit more fun. I also want a manual transmission that you just can't get in the RS....
Old 03-25-2015, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
I think this is subjective as well. I personally prefer the RS5's smoothness at low rpm. I dislike the jumpiness of the 3.0 SC down low. I prefer an engine that is tame down low, but wakes up if you rev it as opposed to an engine that gives it all away in the low and mid range and has nothing to follow up up high. I guess I prefer the girl that plays hard to get vs. the one that gives it away with little effort :-).
And who doesn't like to blow their load early?
Old 03-26-2015, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
And who doesn't like to blow their load early?

Quick Reply: Silly question S5 compared to a RS5