Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Silly question S5 compared to a RS5

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just saw on quattroworld.com that rs5 front bumper is like the rs7 along with some similar changes so the 5 and 7 RS series are as comparable to each other as the a and s series as of the 2015 version ASSUMING that you are one of the lucky 95 owners of the 2015. Would suspect it will be as orderable as the rs7 became the second year of production.

Last edited by Mitodad; 03-29-2015 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by wieRS5
Of course the high-rev V8 in the RS5 gives a totally different driving experience (not only a much better sound then the V6C, but also more lineair power build up, and more racy, not so strange, since it is based on the Lambo V10 less 2 cylinders) but there is more.

Drove a S5 with V6C for 3 years, and it is fast, especially because of the higher torque in lower revs, but it is much more nervous. Despite the better mileage on paper, when you really use the car, the V8 uses less fuel per mile/kilometer then the V6C, only when you drive slow, the V6C will do better on 1 liter/gallon of fuel. And as is known, the V6C has many, many problems (replaced engine 3(!) times in two different cars, compressor issues, injector issues [see recall of all 3.0 V6T engines!], kats too hot issues, etc, etc).

Drove my RS5 now for 60K km, and NO problems of any kind so far.

Besides the engine, also the S-tronic in the RS5 is different: faster gear shifts, and a real manual mode (so no automatic upshifts when you drive in Manual).

Also the brakes are better up to the job, and the chassis is firmer/stiffer, as well is the steering. Finally the suspension of the RS5 is also different from the S5.

Better drive a S5 and a RS5 next to each other on the same day, and, when price is not an issues, make your choice.
Just curious as to how many miles you put on your V6C vehicles before you started having the problems you've described. This is my third S5 (previous two were Cabs) with the V6C and I haven't had any issues. My lease on this one is only for 15k miles. I'm assuming these issues came later for you?

I don't remember seeing these issues in this forum, but then again I was away for almost 3 years in LexusLand and that could have very well been when they were happening since my last V6C was an '11 model and they were still fairly new to the Audi lineup.

Last edited by dseag2; 03-29-2015 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old thread but still relevant today. Oh, but forgot, it's the 4.2l V10 from the Lambo with 2 less cyl.

Dyno run on 4.2L V8 vs. 3.0L V6 SC
Old 03-30-2015, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by lmariorod
Old thread but still relevant today. Oh, but forgot, it's the 4.2l V10 from the Lambo with 2 less cyl.

Dyno run on 4.2L V8 vs. 3.0L V6 SC
Not relevant as far as the S5 to RS5 comparison is concerned. The S5 4.2l V8 is a different engine. The only thing it has in common with the RS5 V8 is the displacement and number of cylinders.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Not relevant as far as the S5 to RS5 comparison is concerned. The S5 4.2l V8 is a different engine. The only thing it has in common with the RS5 V8 is the displacement and number of cylinders.
Maybe, maybe not. Does show that bhp is greatly reduced thru drivetrain and actual whp on the pavement is what matters.

Soon enough, there will be a Dyno comparing the S5 3.0 333 bhp vs RS5 4.2 450 bhp. And the whp of the RS will be interesting.

If anyone can find it, please post.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Maybe, maybe not. Does show that bhp is greatly reduced thru drivetrain and actual whp on the pavement is what matters.

Soon enough, there will be a Dyno comparing the S5 3.0 333 bhp vs RS5 4.2 450 bhp. And the whp of the RS will be interesting.

If anyone can find it, please post.
Without reading through the entire thread, the OP doesn't mention what type of drivetrain. If it was auto transmission we are looking at torque converter loss in the S5's tiptronic vs. no torque converter loss in the S4's DSG for starters.

Anyway, there are dyno results out there for the RS5. APR showed it doing 285 awtq and 353 awhp. If you can find the S5 V6 chart done on the same dyno, we would have a relevant comparison.

Last edited by superswiss; 03-30-2015 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Also, before this thread turns into a horsepower pissing match, let's just take a step back and look at OP's question from the perspective of what these cars are meant to be.

The RS5 is not a super car or an exotic car from another planet. That's the role of the R8.

The RS5 is a factory tuned S5 with upgraded looks (the original topic of this thread), upgraded brakes, upgrades suspension, upgraded powertrain, upgraded axles, subframe, sway bars, wheels etc. Then the whole package is fine tuned top to bottom and tested by professional race car drivers and topped off with a 4 year/50k miles warranty and healthy dose of limited production. For that you pay a 5 figure premium over the S5.

If you think you can do a better job than Quattro Gmbh, you can take an S5 and throw a bunch of random aftermarket parts at it to upgrade the looks, brakes, suspension, engine, transmission etc. to get equal or better overall performance. To do all this properly, you'll be spending low 5 figures in parts, labor and working out most of the issues from the aftermarket parts. That's not factoring in the additional wear and stress this puts on the car, because everything is now outside of the OE specs that the original car was designed for and the generally lower quality of aftermarket parts compared to OE parts. Also, the whole package won't be fine tuned and tested by professional drivers, so it will always be rough around the edges and on top of that you'll have to deal with the consequences of a compromised warranty.

Alternatively, you'll be happy with a stock S5, because it suits your needs and driving style better than an RS5.

The choice is yours.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Also, before this thread turns into a horsepower pissing match, let's just take a step back and look at OP's question from the perspective of what these cars are meant to be.

The RS5 is not a super car or an exotic car from another planet. That's the role of the R8.

The RS5 is a factory tuned S5 with upgraded looks (the original topic of this thread), upgraded brakes, upgrades suspension, upgraded powertrain, upgraded axles, subframe, sway bars, wheels etc. Then the whole package is fine tuned top to bottom and tested by professional race car drivers and topped off with a 4 year/50k miles warranty and healthy dose of limited production. For that you pay a 5 figure premium over the S5.

If you think you can do a better job than Quattro Gmbh, you can take an S5 and throw a bunch of random aftermarket parts at it to upgrade the looks, brakes, suspension, engine, transmission etc. to get equal or better overall performance. To do all this properly, you'll be spending low 5 figures in parts, labor and working out most of the issues from the aftermarket parts. That's not factoring in the additional wear and stress this puts on the car, because everything is now outside of the OE specs that the original car was designed for and the generally lower quality of aftermarket parts compared to OE parts. Also, the whole package won't be fine tuned and tested by professional drivers, so it will always be rough around the edges and on top of that you'll have to deal with the consequences of a compromised warranty.

Alternatively, you'll be happy with a stock S5, because it suits your needs and driving style better than an RS5.

The choice is yours.
Nice. Seems like this thread is getting under your skin.

Enjoy the RS. Afterall, for someone that paid a $20K premium and has put additional monies on upgrades and mods, seems a bit hypocritical NO?

I'll not respond further on this thread, for your sake. ADIOS.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Nice. Seems like this thread is getting under your skin.

Enjoy the RS. Afterall, for someone that paid a $20K premium and has put additional monies on upgrades and mods, seems a bit hypocritical NO?

I'll not respond further on this thread, for your sake. ADIOS.
Nah, just killing some time. It's a slow day. You humor me.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Just curious as to how many miles you put on your V6C vehicles before you started having the problems you've described. This is my third S5 (previous two were Cabs) with the V6C and I haven't had any issues. My lease on this one is only for 15k miles. I'm assuming these issues came later for you?

I don't remember seeing these issues in this forum, but then again I was away for almost 3 years in LexusLand and that could have very well been when they were happening since my last V6C was an '11 model and they were still fairly new to the Audi lineup.
I see I never got a reply to this.

Quick Reply: Silly question S5 compared to a RS5