Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Price Negotiation

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Price Negotiation

Hello Guys,

I am negottaiong a new RS5 from my dealer. I did buy 3 Audis before from the same sales person.

The car I am looking at is MMI+black Paint+exhaust + 20' wheels black MSRP is 77K, they are offering me 3K of MSRP (including loyalty). This sounds like a great deal except the car has 45 miles on it.

When I got to the dealer this morning I saw it be loaded of the truck, It had all the wrapping and the protection film. but I am worried why it has 45 miles on the ODO. the SA said these cars get tested before shipping.

After negotiation and when we came to the 74K price, they told me the car is ready and I went to check it, I notice that there is Bluetooth device registered under the name "Nokia Koffer 1" this looks like a german device because Koffer is a german word. Does Audi test some cars in Germany before shipping them.

Sorry for the typos, I am on my iPad typing this and I am trying to decide if I need to pull the trigger. the have other RS5 cars on the lot but they have more options than what I want and are convertible. and this car matches what i need exactly.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So... $2k off + $1k loyalty?

If that's the car you want, I don't see anything wrong with the deal. Or the 45 miles. In the grand scheme of things this will not have any effect on your enjoyment of the car. I say go for it.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Muhammad
So... $2k off + $1k loyalty?

If that's the car you want, I don't see anything wrong with the deal. Or the 45 miles. In the grand scheme of things this will not have any effect on your enjoyment of the car. I say go for it.
I am just worried some abused the car before 45 miles and 9k RPM is not good.

is 3K off MSRP a good deal?
Old 03-05-2014, 03:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Dani_x

The cars are all tested in Germany, it's typical for them to have a few miles on them.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

A few things.. As mentioned, the cars are driven from the factory to the docks for shipping during which time they are tested for faults..45 miles is average and they dont abuse them on the way..

The dealer invoice price for a 2014 RS5 manual coupe with no options is
$65,623.. You should be able to work it up from there asking them to discount the options you add accordingly.. 3k off of MSRP is not so good a deal..If you have bought cars before from them, they can do better..
Old 03-05-2014, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Hy Octane
A few things.. As mentioned, the cars are driven from the factory to the docks for shipping during which time they are tested for faults..45 miles is average and they dont abuse them on the way..

The dealer invoice price for a 2014 RS5 manual coupe with no options is
$65,623.. You should be able to work it up from there asking them to discount the options you add accordingly.. 3k off of MSRP is not so good a deal..If you have bought cars before from them, they can do better..
I left the dealer to think about it, hmm so for an RS5 u think I should shoot around 70k for 77k msrp? I have been looking online and I see a lot of comments that it is hard to do that for such a rare car, also true car and Edmonds are averaging 1k bellow MSRP.

I jUst want to get feed back for what should be fair price. Thanks again .
Old 03-05-2014, 05:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I left the dealer to think about it, hmm so for an RS5 u think I should shoot around 70k for 77k msrp? I have been looking online and I see a lot of comments that it is hard to do that for such a rare car, also true car and Edmonds are averaging 1k bellow MSRP.

I jUst want to get feed back for what should be fair price. Thanks again .
While there's about a 5k difference between invoice and retail on a stock RS5, the difference between invoice and retail on the options is minimal. If you get 10k in options retail, the invoice on those is about 9k. If you get more than 1-2k off an RS5 you're getting a great deal, and getting more than say $3k off is almost unheard of.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Egan917
While there's about a 5k difference between invoice and retail on a stock RS5, the difference between invoice and retail on the options is minimal. If you get 10k in options retail, the invoice on those is about 9k. If you get more than 1-2k off an RS5 you're getting a great deal, and getting more than say $3k off is almost unheard of.
Just to clarify, except for the freight charge which has no dealer markup, currently an Audi base car and factory options all have the same gross profit margin from MSRP: 7%. Only when you get into dealer installed options do the margins go up significantly. So, the math to calculate standard dealer invoice: MSRP "sticker" total - freight x 93% + freight.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Just to clarify, except for the freight charge which has no dealer markup, currently an Audi base car and factory options all have the same gross profit margin from MSRP: 7%. Only when you get into dealer installed options do the margins go up significantly. So, the math to calculate standard dealer invoice: MSRP "sticker" total - freight x 93% + freight.
You managed to say that much more clearly than I was trying to haha
Old 03-05-2014, 10:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My RS5 had just over 40 miles when delivered right off the truck from the port. Only 1,500 RS5's are made each year, and each dealer, depending on volume may only have allocation for 1-6 of them a year. While a bigger discount may be had on a more commonplace S5, anything off the sticker of an RS5 other than loyalty money is considered a win.

Quick Reply: Price Negotiation