Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Sticky Clutch Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 08:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticky Clutch Pedal

I just did a search and did not find any recent posts on the sticky clutch problem. I've seen it discussed extensively on other forums, so it does not seem too rare in our cars.

For those of you who don't know, the problem is that the clutch pedal gives an uneven travel on the way up - "sticking" at one or more points of travel like you are pulling your foot out of deep mud. It is most noticeable when shifting quickly in which case you will miss shifts because of it.

Potential causes seem to be anything from the throwout bearing to the entire clutch assembly components/design. It seems as if the dealers have been replacing every clutch part in hopes of a fix, but I have not seen anyone report any conclusive evidence of a solution yet. Owners have claimed that Germany is aware of the problem and is cooperative when it comes to warranty claims.

I noticed it on my car and brought it in for service about two weeks ago.

I am getting my 2008 S5 back tomorrow and they have replaced many of the clutch components... they are just waiting for one more. When I get it back, I'll post the results and list of components replaced, but in the meantime, has anyone else had this problem and was it resolved?

p.s. The work was all done on warranty with no questions asked. I am pretty sure my service adviser knows I'm a "forum guy". =)
Old 05-22-2015, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey I know this is a bit late but did you figure out the problem? From what I've read it is actually a faulty slave cylinder problem. Is this right?

Originally Posted by glaive
I just did a search and did not find any recent posts on the sticky clutch problem. I've seen it discussed extensively on other forums, so it does not seem too rare in our cars.

For those of you who don't know, the problem is that the clutch pedal gives an uneven travel on the way up - "sticking" at one or more points of travel like you are pulling your foot out of deep mud. It is most noticeable when shifting quickly in which case you will miss shifts because of it.

Potential causes seem to be anything from the throwout bearing to the entire clutch assembly components/design. It seems as if the dealers have been replacing every clutch part in hopes of a fix, but I have not seen anyone report any conclusive evidence of a solution yet. Owners have claimed that Germany is aware of the problem and is cooperative when it comes to warranty claims.

I noticed it on my car and brought it in for service about two weeks ago.

I am getting my 2008 S5 back tomorrow and they have replaced many of the clutch components... they are just waiting for one more. When I get it back, I'll post the results and list of components replaced, but in the meantime, has anyone else had this problem and was it resolved?

p.s. The work was all done on warranty with no questions asked. I am pretty sure my service adviser knows I'm a "forum guy". =)