Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

How long does my original battery last?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long does my original battery last?

I have a 2008 A5 with the original factory battery. How much longer can I expect this battery to last? I'd rather replace it before it dies and not wait until that classic morning when the car won't start! Also, what are some good aftermarket batteries that are compatible?
Old 09-11-2013, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Wow! I'm surprised it lasted that long. I'd find out the ratings on it like CCA )Cold Cranking Amps) and get one a little stronger than that. Sometimes you're limited to the size and the configuration of the terminal posts. The brand shouldn't matter imo.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:34 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve in VA
I have a 2008 A5 with the original factory battery. How much longer can I expect this battery to last? I'd rather replace it before it dies and not wait until that classic morning when the car won't start! Also, what are some good aftermarket batteries that are compatible?
Being proactive is always a good idea but, usually you can tell when your battery is getting close to death. Maybe a slight hesitation at startup or an extra crank on a cold morning are good signs that your battery is on its way out. My last battery change was due to it taking one extra crank cycle to start, I ordered a new battery that day and had it in before I went home for the day. I am like you, any sign of an issue and I jump on it. As for brand, Interstate supplies us with our Audi batteries so I went with Interstate when I changed mine out. I don't know if you can do it as a customer but I was able to get a "blemished" battery for quite a bit cheaper. It can't hurt to ask about a "blemished" battery once you get in touch with a seller or even an Interstate store (yes, they exist). Blemished batteries just have cosmetic issues, nothing mechanical or functional.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jake-AudiUSAParts
Being proactive is always a good idea but, usually you can tell when your battery is getting close to death. Maybe a slight hesitation at startup or an extra crank on a cold morning are good signs that your battery is on its way out. My last battery change was due to it taking one extra crank cycle to start, I ordered a new battery that day and had it in before I went home for the day. I am like you, any sign of an issue and I jump on it. As for brand, Interstate supplies us with our Audi batteries so I went with Interstate when I changed mine out. I don't know if you can do it as a customer but I was able to get a "blemished" battery for quite a bit cheaper. It can't hurt to ask about a "blemished" battery once you get in touch with a seller or even an Interstate store (yes, they exist). Blemished batteries just have cosmetic issues, nothing mechanical or functional.
Good advice. In fact, I buy batteries for my electric boat at Interstate; there's a distributor nearby that sells to consumers. I'll check them out! Thanks.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Steve in VA
Good advice. In fact, I buy batteries for my electric boat at Interstate; there's a distributor nearby that sells to consumers. I'll check them out! Thanks.
No problem! At AudiUSAParts.com advice is always free I forgot to mention that the Interstate battery I put in my car was a champ and fired up my car with zero hesitation, even in the middle of the winter. It lasted 4 years with no change in performance before the car was totaled in a freeway accident (no injuries). I almost pulled the battery while we were cleaning out all of my junk at the tow yard, I’m sure it had a good ten more years in it!
Old 09-11-2013, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Had to replace my '01 A6 battery in 5 years and replaced it in my '02 allroad in 7 years. No warning of any kind in either when it happened. One morning, the cars just wouldn't start.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It really all depends on where you live and how extreme the conditions. Really hot or cold weather will affect the battery life. In my experience, in Colorado, 4-5 years is about average.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Had to replace my '01 A6 battery in 5 years and replaced it in my '02 allroad in 7 years. No warning of any kind in either when it happened. One morning, the cars just wouldn't start.
Definitely a good thing to keep in mind, I know I mentioned "warning signs" and normally there are signs but like you said, sometimes there are no warnings at all. Personally, if I was going on a long trip and my battery was 7-10 years old I would put serious thought into replacing it before I left town, just to be safe, otherwise I would wait for signs or wait for it to die.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Dead battery? If you're a member, AAA. When my last battery died, I just called AAA and they came out within an hour and installed a new one on the spot with a battery that was rated above OEM. Price was 30% less than the dealer. Fast, convenient and price competitive.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I am being proactive and just bought a new battery for my 2009 S5. I went with the Bosch from Pep Boys. 900CCA 1080CA 185min reserve capacity. 3 year free replacement.

I also found out while search for a battery that there are only three battery manufacturers. So your likely to be buying the same battery even though the sticker says something else.

The Bosch ones are made by Johnson Controls.

Quick Reply: How long does my original battery last?