Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Thinking of joining your ranks soon

Old 12-12-2014, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of joining your ranks soon

Thinking of buying an S5 but would like some feedback from other owners.

This will be my everyday driver and I live in the snowy north. Anyone have experience with the S5 in snow? I'm coming from a Volvo XC, which goes like anything in all kinds of snow and slush so I'm curious about what kind of drop off (if any) I'll experience.

I've also heard about some reliability issues with the manual transmission and the electrical system. Anyone have experience or insight?
Old 12-12-2014, 09:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

No experience yet, but from friends that have driven quattro's in the snow they say that it truly is superior to just about every other car on the market. Even against volvo!
Old 12-13-2014, 05:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have an S5 cab, last winter Atlanta got hit with a pretty bad round of snow/ice. I drove home on my "summer tires" and had no issues at all, none!!! Other cars were left in ditches, but the Quattro system was flawless. Keep in mind I grew up in Buffalo so driving in the snow is nothing new to me, but I was really impressed with how well the car handled.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 better than most summer tires!

Originally Posted by Pangerho
Thinking of buying an S5 but would like some feedback from other owners.

This will be my everyday driver and I live in the snowy north. Anyone have experience with the S5 in snow? I'm coming from a Volvo XC, which goes like anything in all kinds of snow and slush so I'm curious about what kind of drop off (if any) I'll experience.

I've also heard about some reliability issues with the manual transmission and the electrical system. Anyone have experience or insight?
At least that's what TireRack testing if not Michelin themselves test.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

TBH my car has summer performance p-zeroes on them, and my s5 sucks in the snow as a result. Featherlight pressure on the brakes always engage the ABS, I have to seriously rev the engine to get it out of snow, and going up a hill is a slippy and slidey experience. I strongly suggest buying all-seasons, or if you have the money, get some snow tires.

My previous A6 had only all-seasons and it kicked *** in the snow.

As for the electrical system, I have had issues with the backup camera that needed replacement, and the keyless entry touchpad on the doors stopped working and needed replacement. All covered under warranty. No issues with the transmission or anything mechanical, here at the 55000 mile mark.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I drive mine every day in southeast MI. I bought it in Florida and drove it up. The P-Zeros are fun in the summer but like driving on skis when it gets cold. I put Blizzaks on for the winter and the car handles beautifully, even with all the snow we had last year.