Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

tire pressure sensors

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire pressure sensors

If a tire pressure sensor needs to be replaced, will the system automatically pick up the replaced sensor without the need for reprograming?

thanks,

David L. 2009 S5 - New Member
Old 02-12-2016, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

If I purchase new sensors as part of my Tire & Wheel Package, what else needs to be done before use?

Many vehicles require new TPMS sensors be activated or initialized at an authorized repair facility or dealership. This process normally involves connecting the vehicle to a service computer (via the ODB port under your dashboard) and having a technician load the new sensor's ID codes into the car's computer. Most cars will need to have this activation service performed each time wheels and tires are changed out (like when changing from dedicated winter wheels and tires back to your summer/all-season set). As always, consult your owner's manual or contact your dealer for more information.

Frequently Asked Questions About Tire Pressure Sensors - Doc's advice on tires | Tire Rack
Old 02-12-2016, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Default No Senors Are Needed or Used on the Wheels

In my experience Audi does NOT use sensors on the wheels. Therefore none need to be added/calibrated nor batteries to be changed, etc.

At least on the 2010 and 2011 S5 Cab and the 2013 A6 Audi uses sensors on the axles that senses wheel rotation for both anti-lock (ABS) and tire pressure. When the computer "sees" differential wheel rotation between the wheels it "knows" that the diameter of a wheel has changed due to a loss of air pressure and flashes the inflation warning in the insrtument cluster.

Also, if you look at the value stems you will see they are just the normal every day rubber stems, NOT the metal with lock nut that indicate a sensor is on/in the wheel.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by AUDIQSS
In my experience Audi does NOT use sensors on the wheels.
AUDI, be careful. OP is in a 2009MY car which would have in-wheel sensors. Most of the Audi family in the USA are sensor-less as of 2010MY.

Dave, on our 2006 wagon, I simply go into the MMI and say initialize wheels and then store pressure. I don't do anything beyond that (when switching between summer and winter wheels/tires). Welcome aboard !!

Last edited by uberwgn; 02-13-2016 at 03:35 AM.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Frankford, Ontario, Canada. 08 R8TT, 08 A5, 90 TT 300ZX, Ducati TT2
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My08 A5 has sensors on the valve stems.
My TPMS system malfunction light has been on since I changed to winter wheels that do not have sensors.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:50 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

If you have an Audi during the years that they had individual wheel sensors and you buy a set of wheels and tires with new sensors from say tire rack you just have to store the pressures via MMI when you swap wheel sets. This is the way I had my winter setup on my C6 A6. Works fine as long as you get the correct sensors. Different manufacturers used different sensor and I believe even the A8 used a different sensor from other Audis of the same model year.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Frankford, Ontario, Canada. 08 R8TT, 08 A5, 90 TT 300ZX, Ducati TT2
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Additional/new sensors have to have the correct frequency for them. Your owners manual explains what frequency your sensors are. I believe the options code list also addresses this.
This is what was in my options codes list:
7K8 = Tire pressure control, frequency 315 Mhz basic level version.
Attached Images  
Old 02-16-2016, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Pressure Sensors

Thanks everyone for the input. In my 2009 S5, I filled the tire with the recommended air pressure and stored the reading in the MMI. The indicator went off and after driving a few blocks it came back on. I am getting new tires and getting my rims refinished and painted. I'll see how it goes after that...may try another OEM sensor with the required transmission frequency. Sounds like expensive Audi reprograming is not needed!