Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Tracking Your Audi from Germany (At least to Rhode Island)

Old 08-22-2013, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bkw
hey Mark!

Whatcha get?
Hey Brian! Long time! Ordered a Q5 TDI S-Line/Sport in Glacier White / Black. Should be here very soon
Old 08-22-2013, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cha777
6. Start tracking the ship. You can track it until it's off the Irish coast or through the North Sea depending on its destination track. You can see the ship "reappear" again around Halifax. It will disappear between Halifax and Quonset Port in Davisville, RI. Remember, unless you pay mucho $$, you will get delayed positions so don't pound your head against the wall if you don't see the ship there the day that it is supposed to be there.
At first I also thought I couldn't track my vessel when it wasn't near shore, but that's not actually true. As best I can tell, there are two ways that marinetraffic website shows updated coordinates. One is via the ship's AIS transmitter and land-based towers/receivers. This is what you get as a result of going to the main/default page of http://marinetraffic.com/ais/ and entering your vessel name in the "Go To Vessel" on the left side. If your ship is within range of the AIS system, you'll get the little icon on the map and you can click "show track" to see where it 's been within range.

However, if you are not within AIS range, when you enter your vessel name in "Go To Vessel" it will respond with "Out of Range". But don't give up here! It seems there is a second way that coordinates are sent (GPS/Satellite likely) and available on this website. What you do instead is go to the "Vessels" tab (http://marinetraffic.com/ais/datashe...a=A&level0=200) and then enter you vessel in the "Vessel's name" field. The result that comes up should have details to the far right for "Position Received (UTC)". That will be the time stamp (in UTC) of the last update for it's location. If you then click that link (or the link that says Show on Map - both go to same place), you'll be brought to that coordinate. Since we've already determined that you're doing this because you're out at sea, the map will likely be entirely blue water with no icon of a boat or anything. You can start zooming out to see where in the world you are. The center of the map is where your vessel was at that time. There's no history to see older timestamps, just the most recent one. You can keep a record of them if you desire to see it's progress. If you look at the URL, you can see where your ship is at that time. I decided to take the coordinates and separately enter them into Google Maps and create a MyMap of many of the updates. I didn't know my car was on this ship until after it had set sail, so I only tracked the 2nd half of the voyage. [Side note: When it was still within AIS distance when it left, there was that history available at first in the "Intineraries" page, but it got deleted after a few days of updates appeared there. I recreated some of those datapoints from that info as well.]

So here is the tracking I was able to do while it was out at sea. I'm currently still updating this map, so if you view this post off into the future, the map will then be updated with it's path all the way to port (I hope!)

Hopes helps some others!

Old 01-26-2015, 04:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long does it typically take between arriving in Davisville and getting through customs and off to the dealer?
Old 01-27-2015, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amd is the best
How long does it typically take between arriving in Davisville and getting through customs and off to the dealer?
mine was 11 days from the day it hit port to the day it arrived at dealership in Atlanta. customs takes 3-4 days then it has to get loaded on rail or truck.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by amd is the best
Plan on an average of 5-8 days in port to get through customs, inspection, install of port accessories and Moroni sticker, minor repairs if needed (hopefully not), invoice processing, truck/rail assignment and loading. Then it depends on how far your dealer is from Davisville, RI. My dealer was 1 hour away from the port.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I ordered my RS5 last September for delivery in April of this year as my lease ends in April. I have been emailing the dealer every month to hear news about the car. This week, he wrote that the car is on the boat and should be in Halifax on Feb 20. Then, transit to the dealer should have the car there the first week of March. I have asked them not to touch the car as I want to see it with the wrapping first.

The wait is unbearable now and then I will have to wait one more month before driving it. In a way, it will be better as the weather in MOntreal should be a lot nicer then.

Feels good to share with Audi crazies as my wife does not quite get my impatience/excitement !!!
Old 03-18-2015, 07:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So glad to have found this thread. If my car gets a spot the Apollon Leader, it'll make it to San Diego on April 27th. The web is so cool
Old 03-20-2015, 04:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is an up and down process. My car was to arrive in Halifax finally on March 9, but then weather conditions over there have been so bad that the boat did not unload and instead did the unloading in Newark beginning of this week.

Dealer tells me they should get the car around March 30th. I have scheduled delivery on April 17th. Hopefully by then, the roads will be nice here.

It appears that in Halifax, cars are in ice and snow and some of them have been flooded, so there may be very unhappy people waiting for their cars. Insurers will be busy.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by jetRS5
This is an up and down process. My car was to arrive in Halifax finally on March 9, but then weather conditions over there have been so bad that the boat did not unload and instead did the unloading in Newark beginning of this week.

Dealer tells me they should get the car around March 30th. I have scheduled delivery on April 17th. Hopefully by then, the roads will be nice here.

It appears that in Halifax, cars are in ice and snow and some of them have been flooded, so there may be very unhappy people waiting for their cars. Insurers will be busy.

Hi, My car is on the same ship as yours with same ETA date of March 9. I was told by my dealer (Toronto) that the ship was instead diverted to Davisville and now the car will come via rail hopefully by end of March. Let's hope it does....
Old 03-21-2015, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jetRS5

Originally Posted by iketheduke
Hi, My car is on the same ship as yours with same ETA date of March 9. I was told by my dealer (Toronto) that the ship was instead diverted to Davisville and now the car will come via rail hopefully by end of March. Let's hope it does....
Davisville makes more sense as Audi does not use or have the proper contracted port facilities in Newark.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tracking Your Audi from Germany (At least to Rhode Island)