Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Transmission Delay in shifting to Reverse from Drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 09:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Delay in shifting to Reverse from Drive

hey guys, I've recently noticed that when I stop the car and shift from drive to reverse in a parking lot or similar area, there is a 2 second delay from when I move the gear shifter to the reverse position to when the car actually starts moving. It only happens when shifting to from D to R. Never happens when shifting from R to D

I have a 2014 A5 with the 8 speed tiptronic and 7k miles. I dont know if this is normal or if anyone else is having the same issue. Please help
Old 08-26-2015, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Same delay problem

Originally Posted by j3500
hey guys, I've recently noticed that when I stop the car and shift from drive to reverse in a parking lot or similar area, there is a 2 second delay from when I move the gear shifter to the reverse position to when the car actually starts moving. It only happens when shifting to from D to R. Never happens when shifting from R to D

I have a 2014 A5 with the 8 speed tiptronic and 7k miles. I dont know if this is normal or if anyone else is having the same issue. Please help

I have the same car and same issue. Did you ever figure out anything? It is very odd.
Thanks!
Old 08-26-2015, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Changed mind..normal. Get it to the dealer and document the issue.

Originally Posted by j3500

You can raise a little hell and get them to drop the transmission pan and filter and inspect for crap. If you lease the car it's one thing; if you're going to keep it, make dang sure there's no crap in the pan.

On second thought, our brand new A5 2.0T does the same thing. I just never realized it took that long. Probably a good thing…don't rock the car out of snow drifts!

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 08-31-2015 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

This happened on my 2013 S5 and it happens on my 2015 RS5. I've always just thought it was normal for S-tronic (since R and 1 are on the same clutch I think) trannies, and haven't bothered to ask my service advisor about it.

Interesting it happens on your tiptronic as well, since they are different in several ways. I need to ask the lady if it happens on our SQ5 - I don't drive it that much.

Last edited by acitrano; 08-27-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by acitrano
This happened on my 2013 S5 and it happens on my 2015 RS5. I've always just thought it was normal for S-tronic (since R and 1 are on the same clutch I think) trannies
Off-topic correction: R and 1 are not connected to the same clutch. Odd gears (1, 3, 5, 7) are on one transmission shaft, even gears (2, 4, 6) and reverse are on the other. Sequential transmissions work by pre-selecting the next gears. While you're in first gear, reverse and second are pre-selected - those are the only two choices you have (from first) and they have to be on a different shaft.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by blinsc
Off-topic correction: R and 1 are not connected to the same clutch. Odd gears (1, 3, 5, 7) are on one transmission shaft, even gears (2, 4, 6) and reverse are on the other. Sequential transmissions work by pre-selecting the next gears. While you're in first gear, reverse and second are pre-selected - those are the only two choices you have (from first) and they have to be on a different shaft.
Thanks.

Hm, then I wonder why the delay...
Old 09-12-2015, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

OK folks I drove the SQ5 and spent a few minutes checking this out.

Shifting from D/S to R in the SQ5 - R gear definitely engages more quickly than in my RS5. Said the other way, my RS5 is a wee bit slower to engage R when shifting from D/S. If memory serves, my S5 was the same way (same as my RS.)

On a related note, I've noticed in my RS that, in some cases, 1 seems a bit slow to engage as well. For example, if I'm in 2 and going fairly slow (say under 15MPH) with low throttle, if I downshift to 1 and then increase throttle it takes an extra beat to engage first gear. Not a complaint; just an observation. She is a thrill to drive!
Old 09-15-2015, 02:05 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

You are aware that the SQ5 has the 8 speed torque converter transmission, while the RS 5 has the dual clutch, right?
Old 09-15-2015, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
You are aware that the SQ5 has the 8 speed torque converter transmission, while the RS 5 has the dual clutch, right?

Of course. Point of experiment was to show OP he wasn't crazy.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I haven't checked it in a while because life got in the way. I noticed a similar delay in my daily driving subaru Forester that has a CVT. I am wondering if its a new thing automakers are doing to the trannys.

My A5's tranny sometimes cant decide on 1st or 2nd gear in stop and go traffic so it jerks a bit every now and then. Normal everyday driving, its buttery smooth.

I will check again and update folks here.

Quick Reply: Transmission Delay in shifting to Reverse from Drive