Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet

Unbelievable - I get my property tax on my S5

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 42603
 
ayap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,628
Default Unbelievable - I get my property tax on my S5

I was shocked to get my property tax on my S5.
I was billed for an extra tax in a city I don't even live in.
It was the city where I bought my car, but I don't live there.
I normally only pay property tax in the County where I lived.
I emailed the tax office - why would I pay property tax in a city I don't live in. Anyone experience this?
__________________
====================================
2012 Audi S5, Monsoon Gray, Black Leather
Tip Auto, Prem Plus+, Navi, Adv. Key, Carbon Fiber Trim, Sports Differential
----------------------------------------
2013 Audi Allroad, Phantom Pearl Black, Black Leather
8-Spd T-tronic, Prem Plus, Navigation/Rear Camera, Adv. Key, Sports Package/Paddles

-----------------------------
2006 Atlas Gray A6 Avant (gone, traded-in for 2013 Allroad, farewell)
2007 BMW 328xi Coupe 2Dr Sapphire Black (gone, traded-in for S5)
2008 Infiniti EX35 2WD Black (gone)
2004 Mazda RX8 Gray (gone)
2003 Cobalt Blue Audi Allroad (gone)



ayap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 10633
 
Tifosi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayap View Post
I was shocked to get my property tax on my S5.
I was billed for an extra tax in a city I don't even live in.
It was the city where I bought my car, but I don't live there.
I normally only pay property tax in the County where I lived.
I emailed the tax office - why would I pay property tax in a city I don't live in. Anyone experience this?
No. It is a privilage reserved only for the few that bought a S5 coupe with an outdated, underpowered 4.2 V8 engine within the last year.



Seriously tho, where do you live and where did you bought the car from ?
Tifosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 163579
 
UmIsThisThingOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,491
Default

This is an easy fix.

Granted, you'll need to go to the two offices, but call them first to figure out which order you need to go in. Probably the County first to make sure you get a receipt that you paid them, then the City where you bought to show them that you don't owe them.

It happened to me one year when I moved from one county to the neighboring county. Simply showed the previous county my license and receipt from property tax for new county.

Easy Peasy Beautiful Cover Girl!
__________________
Tschüß!
Šave
_________________________________________________
'10 Brilliant Black A4 Sline • Hüper Optik • 034 HiFlo Turbo Hose • EC HFC • Milltek • Alu Kreuz/ÜSS • Hankook V12's • ST-40 BBK
Pending: Black Grill • Höen H11 • EC Intercooler • EC Meisterwerk STS
Wish List: PSS10's • New Wheels • ECodes
UmIsThisThingOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:06 AM   #4
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 187740
 
JD15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 700
Default

How many states require property taxes be paid on cars? Hopefully, the politicians in Vermont don't learn about this additional lucrative form of tax revenue.
JD15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:46 AM   #5
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 42603
 
ayap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,628
Default

Thanks guys! I bought my car in Greensboro NC but live in a town 30 minutes away.

I wrote an email to the Tax office, and they have voided my bill saying it was a mistake, and removed the double taxation .. whew !!!!
__________________
====================================
2012 Audi S5, Monsoon Gray, Black Leather
Tip Auto, Prem Plus+, Navi, Adv. Key, Carbon Fiber Trim, Sports Differential
----------------------------------------
2013 Audi Allroad, Phantom Pearl Black, Black Leather
8-Spd T-tronic, Prem Plus, Navigation/Rear Camera, Adv. Key, Sports Package/Paddles

-----------------------------
2006 Atlas Gray A6 Avant (gone, traded-in for 2013 Allroad, farewell)
2007 BMW 328xi Coupe 2Dr Sapphire Black (gone, traded-in for S5)
2008 Infiniti EX35 2WD Black (gone)
2004 Mazda RX8 Gray (gone)
2003 Cobalt Blue Audi Allroad (gone)



ayap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:21 AM   #6
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 151264
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Itasca, Illinois
Posts: 225
Default Move to Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayap View Post
I was shocked to get my property tax on my S5.
I was billed for an extra tax in a city I don't even live in.
It was the city where I bought my car, but I don't live there.
I normally only pay property tax in the County where I lived.
I emailed the tax office - why would I pay property tax in a city I don't live in. Anyone experience this?
A great state. No property tax on cars or any other possessions (except real estate), sales taxes that get upwards of 10%, relatively low income tax that just went up 67%, highest gas tax in the country, a broken and broke pension system, balmy weather, lousy roads, and more governors in jail than anyone else. Oh, and there's the Cubs......
__________________
Current: 2012 S5 Prestige, Glacier White/Magma, Sport Diff, Carbon Atlas, 35% tint, V1; Winter-Pirelli Sottozeros on OZ Energy rims, Summer-factory set-up

Gone: 09 A5, AT, Meteor Gray/Light Gray, ADS, B&O, Prem, NAV, Alum Inlays, H11 fogs, complete LED's, 35% tint all around.
Gone: 2000 S4 Hibiscus Red/Lt Gray
1991 300ZX Black/Black
1986 BMW 325e White/Red
1980 280ZX Silver/Silver
1976 280Z Bronze/Black
Gone and Forgotten: Ford Maverick, Chevy Impala, Schwinn
tpt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 153121
 
wreck111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 309
Default

It could be worse, in Maryland we pay 6% of the sales price when you buy the car plus a tag fee every two years of a few hundred dolors. Plus we have one of the higher gas taxes in the US . Maybe our Governor should be in IL. Thank God this is his last year. Someone else can have him!
wreck111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:02 AM   #8
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 42603
 
ayap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,628
Default

LOL! My cousin in Illinois complains she pays $9,800 for real estate tax on her 2,300 sq.ft. house. I pay only $2,900 for my 3,300 sq. ft. house in NC. So, she's paying about $7K more a year. And you are correct, the roads in Illinois are so terrible for driving. The roads in NC are the best I've seen. Virginia use to have better roads, but that changed in the last 8 years. And she gets sick of the winter in IL. We only get 4 inches of snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpt13 View Post
A great state. No property tax on cars or any other possessions (except real estate), sales taxes that get upwards of 10%, relatively low income tax that just went up 67%, highest gas tax in the country, a broken and broke pension system, balmy weather, lousy roads, and more governors in jail than anyone else. Oh, and there's the Cubs......
__________________
====================================
2012 Audi S5, Monsoon Gray, Black Leather
Tip Auto, Prem Plus+, Navi, Adv. Key, Carbon Fiber Trim, Sports Differential
----------------------------------------
2013 Audi Allroad, Phantom Pearl Black, Black Leather
8-Spd T-tronic, Prem Plus, Navigation/Rear Camera, Adv. Key, Sports Package/Paddles

-----------------------------
2006 Atlas Gray A6 Avant (gone, traded-in for 2013 Allroad, farewell)
2007 BMW 328xi Coupe 2Dr Sapphire Black (gone, traded-in for S5)
2008 Infiniti EX35 2WD Black (gone)
2004 Mazda RX8 Gray (gone)
2003 Cobalt Blue Audi Allroad (gone)



ayap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:13 AM   #9
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 209734
 
PeterJay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA. - USA
Posts: 187
Default Parasites

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreck111 View Post
It could be worse, in Maryland we pay 6% of the sales price when you buy the car plus a tag fee every two years of a few hundred dolors. Plus we have one of the higher gas taxes in the US . Maybe our Governor should be in IL. Thank God this is his last year. Someone else can have him!
Hey, someone has to pay for all the Parasites the government supports from cradle to grave !!
__________________
2011 S5 Cabriolet, Prestige, Sport Diff. Pkg., Phantom Black / Black Top, Black/Silver Leather, Carbon Fibre Trim.
PeterJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:55 PM   #10
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 163579
 
UmIsThisThingOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayap View Post
LOL! My cousin in Illinois complains she pays $9,800 for real estate tax on her 2,300 sq.ft. house. I pay only $2,900 for my 3,300 sq. ft. house in NC. So, she's paying about $7K more a year. And you are correct, the roads in Illinois are so terrible for driving. The roads in NC are the best I've seen. Virginia use to have better roads, but that changed in the last 8 years. And she gets sick of the winter in IL. We only get 4 inches of snow.
This and other reasons are why my wife and I are considering moving to NC from Northern VA.
__________________
Tschüß!
Šave
_________________________________________________
'10 Brilliant Black A4 Sline • Hüper Optik • 034 HiFlo Turbo Hose • EC HFC • Milltek • Alu Kreuz/ÜSS • Hankook V12's • ST-40 BBK
Pending: Black Grill • Höen H11 • EC Intercooler • EC Meisterwerk STS
Wish List: PSS10's • New Wheels • ECodes
UmIsThisThingOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:21 AM   #11
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 153121
 
wreck111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 309
Default

How about $14,200 a year in taxes on a house. That's what mine are plus $600 a month HOA fee... We are looking into Wilmington NC also. You have to also go by the value of your home.
wreck111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:06 AM   #12
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 172428
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 94
Default

Paid 5.5% sales tax on my car (it's now 6%), paid $1400 dollars for excise tax my first year, 900 year two, and pay outrageous property tax on my condo which has no land. Every day I drive on roads that I swear are made to ruin rims and suspensions. Where does the money go?

Yet I still live here. Boo hoo.
__________________
2010 R8, 4.2, 6MT, Blk w/Body color Blades
2010 S5, Brilliant Black/Black, 6-Speed Manual (Sold)
jab23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:29 AM   #13
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 153121
 
wreck111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab23 View Post
Paid 5.5% sales tax on my car (it's now 6%), paid $1400 dollars for excise tax my first year, 900 year two, and pay outrageous property tax on my condo which has no land. Every day I drive on roads that I swear are made to ruin rims and suspensions. Where does the money go?

Yet I still live here. Boo hoo.
And where is there?
wreck111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:04 AM   #14
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 188806
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterJay View Post
Hey, someone has to pay for all the Parasites the government supports from cradle to grave !!
Hey, I didn't know Glenn Beck owned an S5. Welcome to the club.
__________________
"Accept it, deal with it, go along with it, learn it, live it, respect it and understand it." -- Audi S5 TC
Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:10 PM   #15
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 42603
 
ayap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,628
Default

Gawd $14K ... that's a lot. I assume that's a big house? I have a log home in the NC mountains and I pay $1,500 for tax. So, for two homes, I only pay $4,400 in real property tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreck111 View Post
How about $14,200 a year in taxes on a house. That's what mine are plus $600 a month HOA fee... We are looking into Wilmington NC also. You have to also go by the value of your home.
__________________
====================================
2012 Audi S5, Monsoon Gray, Black Leather
Tip Auto, Prem Plus+, Navi, Adv. Key, Carbon Fiber Trim, Sports Differential
----------------------------------------
2013 Audi Allroad, Phantom Pearl Black, Black Leather
8-Spd T-tronic, Prem Plus, Navigation/Rear Camera, Adv. Key, Sports Package/Paddles

-----------------------------
2006 Atlas Gray A6 Avant (gone, traded-in for 2013 Allroad, farewell)
2007 BMW 328xi Coupe 2Dr Sapphire Black (gone, traded-in for S5)
2008 Infiniti EX35 2WD Black (gone)
2004 Mazda RX8 Gray (gone)
2003 Cobalt Blue Audi Allroad (gone)



ayap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:11 PM   #16
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 153121
 
wreck111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 309
Default

Not to big, 3,000 SF on the water. Value 1 Mil
wreck111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:33 AM   #17
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 17725
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 7,459
Default

WOW, you guys get ripped off.

I feel real sorry for people in NC, they have to pay property tax on their cars, boats, etc every year, what a shame.

I was working there all this summer and was looking for a hotel on a month to month basis. Well in NC anything under 90 days you have to pay and extra 16% tax because your in competition with apartments, or something like that, what a rip off.

In Florida we pay just once every other year for the license renewal, we have great roads, and no state tax. Our home property tax is about about $1200 every year on a $330,000 home.
__________________
2009 Audi S5 l Ibis White l Magma Red l GMG Springs l GMG Exhaust l Xpel Clear Bra l Huper Optik Tint l Valentine One l Laser Interceptor l S5 Black Optic Front Grille

todd1010 AT gmail DOT com
Imola Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #18
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 42603
 
ayap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,628
Default

That's why people flock to Florida for retirement, but I heard that some places in FL have raised their property taxes, especially those near the water. Where are you in Florida - I suppose I'd retire in a place like yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola Ghost View Post
WOW, you guys get ripped off.

I feel real sorry for people in NC, they have to pay property tax on their cars, boats, etc every year, what a shame.

I was working there all this summer and was looking for a hotel on a month to month basis. Well in NC anything under 90 days you have to pay and extra 16% tax because your in competition with apartments, or something like that, what a rip off.

In Florida we pay just once every other year for the license renewal, we have great roads, and no state tax. Our home property tax is about about $1200 every year on a $330,000 home.
__________________
====================================
2012 Audi S5, Monsoon Gray, Black Leather
Tip Auto, Prem Plus+, Navi, Adv. Key, Carbon Fiber Trim, Sports Differential
----------------------------------------
2013 Audi Allroad, Phantom Pearl Black, Black Leather
8-Spd T-tronic, Prem Plus, Navigation/Rear Camera, Adv. Key, Sports Package/Paddles

-----------------------------
2006 Atlas Gray A6 Avant (gone, traded-in for 2013 Allroad, farewell)
2007 BMW 328xi Coupe 2Dr Sapphire Black (gone, traded-in for S5)
2008 Infiniti EX35 2WD Black (gone)
2004 Mazda RX8 Gray (gone)
2003 Cobalt Blue Audi Allroad (gone)



ayap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #19
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 17725
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 7,459
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayap View Post
That's why people flock to Florida for retirement, but I heard that some places in FL have raised their property taxes, especially those near the water. Where are you in Florida - I suppose I'd retire in a place like yours.
I'm in Jacksonville.
__________________
2009 Audi S5 l Ibis White l Magma Red l GMG Springs l GMG Exhaust l Xpel Clear Bra l Huper Optik Tint l Valentine One l Laser Interceptor l S5 Black Optic Front Grille

todd1010 AT gmail DOT com
Imola Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:57 PM   #20
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 163579
 
UmIsThisThingOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola Ghost View Post
In Florida we pay just once every other year for the license renewal, we have great roads, and no state tax. Our home property tax is about about $1200 every year on a $330,000 home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola Ghost View Post
I'm in Jacksonville.
I grew up and lived in Jax Beach till '03 when I moved to Northern Va for work.
It was a huge shock to have to pay State Tax, Property tax on my car and then still have Federal on top of it all.

I miss Jax and the lower cost of living, but man did it explode in the mid 90's-2005-ish. I don't miss the excruciating humidity & daily rain from June-Sept.

All things being equal, I think NC will be a nice middle ground between the two.
__________________
Tschüß!
Šave
_________________________________________________
'10 Brilliant Black A4 Sline • Hüper Optik • 034 HiFlo Turbo Hose • EC HFC • Milltek • Alu Kreuz/ÜSS • Hankook V12's • ST-40 BBK
Pending: Black Grill • Höen H11 • EC Intercooler • EC Meisterwerk STS
Wish List: PSS10's • New Wheels • ECodes
UmIsThisThingOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2013, a6, audi, personal, property, q5, s5, tax, virginia


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Join AudiWorld

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:48 PM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community