Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Unbelievable - I get my property tax on my S5

Old 12-07-2011, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Unbelievable - I get my property tax on my S5

I was shocked to get my property tax on my S5.
I was billed for an extra tax in a city I don't even live in.
It was the city where I bought my car, but I don't live there.
I normally only pay property tax in the County where I lived.
I emailed the tax office - why would I pay property tax in a city I don't live in. Anyone experience this?
Old 12-07-2011, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ayap
I emailed the tax office - why would I pay property tax in a city I don't live in. Anyone experience this?
No. It is a privilage reserved only for the few that bought a S5 coupe with an outdated, underpowered 4.2 V8 engine within the last year.

Seriously tho, where do you live and where did you bought the car from ?
Old 12-07-2011, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is an easy fix.

Granted, you'll need to go to the two offices, but call them first to figure out which order you need to go in. Probably the County first to make sure you get a receipt that you paid them, then the City where you bought to show them that you don't owe them.

It happened to me one year when I moved from one county to the neighboring county. Simply showed the previous county my license and receipt from property tax for new county.

Easy Peasy Beautiful Cover Girl!
Old 12-08-2011, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

How many states require property taxes be paid on cars? Hopefully, the politicians in Vermont don't learn about this additional lucrative form of tax revenue.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks guys! I bought my car in Greensboro NC but live in a town 30 minutes away.

I wrote an email to the Tax office, and they have voided my bill saying it was a mistake, and removed the double taxation .. whew !!!!
Old 12-08-2011, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Move to Illinois

A great state. No property tax on cars or any other possessions (except real estate), sales taxes that get upwards of 10%, relatively low income tax that just went up 67%, highest gas tax in the country, a broken and broke pension system, balmy weather, lousy roads, and more governors in jail than anyone else. Oh, and there's the Cubs......
Old 12-08-2011, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

It could be worse, in Maryland we pay 6% of the sales price when you buy the car plus a tag fee every two years of a few hundred dolors. Plus we have one of the higher gas taxes in the US . Maybe our Governor should be in IL. Thank God this is his last year. Someone else can have him!
Old 12-08-2011, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

LOL! My cousin in Illinois complains she pays $9,800 for real estate tax on her 2,300 sq.ft. house. I pay only $2,900 for my 3,300 sq. ft. house in NC. So, she's paying about $7K more a year. And you are correct, the roads in Illinois are so terrible for driving. The roads in NC are the best I've seen. Virginia use to have better roads, but that changed in the last 8 years. And she gets sick of the winter in IL. We only get 4 inches of snow.

Originally Posted by tpt13
A great state. No property tax on cars or any other possessions (except real estate), sales taxes that get upwards of 10%, relatively low income tax that just went up 67%, highest gas tax in the country, a broken and broke pension system, balmy weather, lousy roads, and more governors in jail than anyone else. Oh, and there's the Cubs......
Old 12-08-2011, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Parasites

Originally Posted by wreck111
It could be worse, in Maryland we pay 6% of the sales price when you buy the car plus a tag fee every two years of a few hundred dolors. Plus we have one of the higher gas taxes in the US . Maybe our Governor should be in IL. Thank God this is his last year. Someone else can have him!
Hey, someone has to pay for all the Parasites the government supports from cradle to grave !!
Old 12-08-2011, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL! My cousin in Illinois complains she pays $9,800 for real estate tax on her 2,300 sq.ft. house. I pay only $2,900 for my 3,300 sq. ft. house in NC. So, she's paying about $7K more a year. And you are correct, the roads in Illinois are so terrible for driving. The roads in NC are the best I've seen. Virginia use to have better roads, but that changed in the last 8 years. And she gets sick of the winter in IL. We only get 4 inches of snow.
This and other reasons are why my wife and I are considering moving to NC from Northern VA.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Unbelievable - I get my property tax on my S5