Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Voice command in the S5 Cabriolet

Old 06-30-2014, 06:10 AM
sib
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sarasota A5 Voice Nav

Originally Posted by gkavafes
Anyone know of a local contact (Sarasota, FL) that owns a vag-com or Ross-Tech USB-CAN http://www.ross-tech.com/
cable that would be willing to activate the voice recognition n my new 2014 A5?
Seems like a simple change to the MMI system but requires a cable and software.
http://sharding.org/blog/2011/02/02/...e-recognition/
I received a call from Audi asking about my experience and if i had questions regarding my 14 A5 cabrio. I told them my displeasure in not having the audio and they advised they would call my dealer in Sarasota when I next bring the car in for service to activate the audio. It WOULD NOT be factory install, so probably the software 3rd party app. Suncoast and excellent dealer will do the work at no cost.

My salesman said that Audi would not provide the service, but obviously enough of us have complained and the correction is now being made. Bought my A5 last month.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sib
I received a call from Audi asking about my experience and if i had questions regarding my 14 A5 cabrio. I told them my displeasure in not having the audio and they advised they would call my dealer in Sarasota when I next bring the car in for service to activate the audio. It WOULD NOT be factory install, so probably the software 3rd party app. Suncoast and excellent dealer will do the work at no cost.

My salesman said that Audi would not provide the service, but obviously enough of us have complained and the correction is now being made. Bought my A5 last month.
This feature is de-activated for NA market for unknown reason. There is nothing third party about it. It can be easily activated via Vag Com and there is nothing new about this.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2014 still has no voice command

I was delivered my 2014 S5 Cabriolet and had watched all the Youtube Audi videos. I brought a loaded SD card to put my music in. My salesman went to show me how to use the Voice Command button and was flabbergasted to find out that it doesn't do anything. I have checked the specs for my car and it doesn't say anything about Voice Command, but when you build an S5 coupe, it says "with Voice Command". I guess you need to sleuth this out and decide that you won't get it.
I fault Audi in this. My phone works just fine with the roof closed, OK on bluetooth with the top down, but why not have it disabled when the top is open...the car knows when you have it open?
I pointed out to Audi that everything necessary is in the car, the software just disables the feature. Even the lowly Fiat 500 cabriolet comes with it, as do the other German convertibles, so why not my car?
They were unsympathetic and did not understand how disappointing this is for me and likely every unsuspecting buyer. The specs actually say "without spoiler", I assume because somebody was pissed about the lack of a spoiler on the S5 Cab.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Tifosi
This feature is de-activated for NA market for unknown reason. There is nothing third party about it. It can be easily activated via Vag Com and there is nothing new about this.
My understanding is that the voice is deactivated because of the JD Powers survey. Naturally the voice does not work well with the top down and Audi was concerned that people responding to the JD Powers survey would make a comment.

To activate the voice, it literally takes less than 5 minutes of a techs time. All they need to do is plug into the computer and change a software switch. When my dealer did it he also changed a setting so I could raise or lower all the windows from the key fob.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by deanter
My understanding is that the voice is deactivated because of the JD Powers survey. Naturally the voice does not work well with the top down and Audi was concerned that people responding to the JD Powers survey would make a comment.

To activate the voice, it literally takes less than 5 minutes of a techs time. All they need to do is plug into the computer and change a software switch. When my dealer did it he also changed a setting so I could raise or lower all the windows from the key fob.
I have dealt with Audi Canada about this issue at length by email and by phone. I have also spoken to the dealer and to the area Audi Rep.

They both have told me that they don't do VAG COM interaction with the vehicles, that if I have somebody use this program to alter the software they will be able to see that it has been accessed by an unauthorized agent, and that my warranty will be void. I really wanted Audi to take care of this for me and I am calling "bull****" that they can't do it. I've also had Toyota dealers turn on and modify features on my car with their computers in the past, like turning off the backup "beep" when I put my Prius into reverse and having all doors unlock when I touch the driver's door handle.
Big Brother is disappointed that I don't appreciate their decision to leave the voice feature inactive.
Maybe when the warranty has ended I will get my voice control activated.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

After reading about the "unofficial" change in stance from Audi, I again questioned the dealer when I was in for maintenance on Saturday. To my amazement the service advisor came back and let me know the technician would be able to activate it for me. Cost was $125, but now I have a record that they made the change in the event it vanishes during a future MMI update.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by deschmehl
After reading about the "unofficial" change in stance from Audi, I again questioned the dealer when I was in for maintenance on Saturday. To my amazement the service advisor came back and let me know the technician would be able to activate it for me. Cost was $125, but now I have a record that they made the change in the event it vanishes during a future MMI update.
Find a friend with VCDS and just enable it. Save your $125; don't feed the stealer!
Old 06-29-2015, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by deschmehl
Can you tell me what dealer performed the service for you? I just bought a 2015 A5 convertible and they tell me it can't be done.
Thanks
Old 07-02-2015, 09:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It was Audi of Rochester Hills in Rochester Hills, MI
Old 07-02-2015, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks. After I contacted AoA my dealer enabled - at no cost.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Voice command in the S5 Cabriolet