Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Will A5/S5/RS5 redesign happen for 2016 or 2017?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will A5/S5/RS5 redesign happen for 2016 or 2017?

I'm ready for a new ride but dont want to get a 2015 S5 if the major redo will be for 2016. I've seen both dates listed. Anyone got any insight?
Old 01-10-2015, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by peterwiggin
I'm ready for a new ride but dont want to get a 2015 S5 if the major redo will be for 2016. I've seen both dates listed. Anyone got any insight?
Don't know. My concern is no manual tranny.

What is your present drive?

Last edited by PhilNotHill; 01-10-2015 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

The B9 A5 is expected for MY2016. The S5 will probably be MY2017 and the RS5 MY2018.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by peterwiggin
I had the same concern when I bought my 2014 S5 but figured I could just trade in should the new body style blow me away.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
The B9 A5 is expected for MY2016. The S5 will probably be MY2017 and the RS5 MY2018.
RS4 yes no RS5 in development at this time.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 33 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by s5forum
RS4 yes no RS5 in development at this time.
dont be so sure..you never know whats quattro GmbH's cooking
Old 01-14-2015, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PhilNotHill
Don't know. My concern is no manual tranny.

What is your present drive?
Same here...I am holding my breath in regards to that. The good thing is that its rivals, BMW 4 series and the new Caddy ATS do offer manuals. Also, there was an article a while back on the online Car and Driver website that did state that the next generation will offer manuals. Of course even if Audi does offer a manual, in what configuration would they do so considering the current A/S/RS5 lineup only does in certain models. Personally as a manual fanatic, I do think that manufacturers should continue to offer them and maybe reverse the business model...make an automatic standard and a manual as an extra cost option (flame suit on)
Old 01-14-2015, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jamblastx
Same here...I am holding my breath in regards to that. The good thing is that its rivals, BMW 4 series and the new Caddy ATS do offer manuals. Also, there was an article a while back on the online Car and Driver website that did state that the next generation will offer manuals. Of course even if Audi does offer a manual, in what configuration would they do so considering the current A/S/RS5 lineup only does in certain models. Personally as a manual fanatic, I do think that manufacturers should continue to offer them and maybe reverse the business model...make an automatic standard and a manual as an extra cost option (flame suit on)
I can't figure Audi out. You can get a manual transmission with the S4 and S5 coupe but NOT THE CABRIOLET. R8 comes with manual but the DCT costs something like $9k more. Closer to $1k for the S4/S5.

And the manual is not an option on the RS5 as the DCT is standard.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilNotHill
I can't figure Audi out. You can get a manual transmission with the S4 and S5 coupe but NOT THE CABRIOLET. R8 comes with manual but the DCT costs something like $9k more. Closer to $1k for the S4/S5.

And the manual is not an option on the RS5 as the DCT is standard.
It's all a matter of federalization costs. The A/S3 for example is still made with a 6MT for the European market, there are just not enough buyers in the US to make it worth the federalization cost. Audi has seen a huge drop in 6MT buyers since the intro of the DSG. Quattro Gmbh has seen an even bigger drop, that's why there won't be another RS/R with a manual transmission anywhere. They have stated so. RS/R cars will either have a highly tuned DSG like the RS5 and the upcoming RS3 or a highly tuned ZF8 like the RS7 etc. The R8 6MT sales have dropped below 5% with the availability of the S-tronic. Everybody who previously said the R8 6MT is the car to get, now says the R8 S-tronic is the car to get. The manual transmission market is simply evaporating. The DSG is just more versatile and it's a hoot to drive in RS/R form.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jamblastx
I too love manuals, but I expect that they won't be offered for much longer because the dual clutch technology is so superior. I currently own a Porsche 981S with a MT, but I have driven a 981 with PDK and it is fabulous. My recollection is that a 981S with PDK can do a 0-60 in about 4.2 secs which was in super car territory just a few years ago. A Porsche Turbo S can do 0-60 in under 3 secs which is unreal. Moreover, PDK makes everyone a great driver since heel/toe and rev matching are no longer required. An inexperienced driver can deploy the launch control feature, and match the times of a seasoned pro. Also, every downshift will be perfect since the computer will instantly rev match to the appropriate gear.

Maybe some manufacturers will offer an MT option in the future, but I expect that it will be a costly option and that a DCT will be standard.

Quick Reply: Will A5/S5/RS5 redesign happen for 2016 or 2017?