Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Tires

Hi all,
Can anyone recommend some good winter tires for my 2013 S5. I've been doing some research and seriously my head is starting to hurt with all the stats etc., and likes, dislikes (reviews) on Tire Rack. Originally I was set on Blizzaks but now I'm starting to question everything. Maybe an AS tire would be just fine? I'm in the DC metro area. We do not get a terrible amount of snow but quite a few icy days. My commute is rather far, the roads leading to my house are very inclined and my driveway is straight uphill. Anyway, any help or direction would be very much appreciated.

TIA,
Samantha

Ps. I'm a Florida Native ;p
Old 11-18-2014, 01:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

I used Michelin Pilot Alpins on my last 3 RWD Porsche 911s. I never had any issue with travel through snow in New England. That is the tire I am looking to use on my S5.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm using Michelin PA4's on my S5 at the moment, and in the past was a happy Blizzak owner. I think both are quite excellent tires.

As for the original poster's question about all seasons versus dedicated winters.. it sounds like you intend on having 2 sets of tires for your car: the performance summers and something for the cold weather. So with that assumed, how much more $ is it to do it right and just get winters? You're already doing it right by going with dedicated sets for hot and cold weather, so do it right and get winters for winter, not some AS tires that are "ok" in all weather types. Jack of all trades, master of none.

That's my opinion on the subject, and it works for me because I live near Toronto Canada, where we have proper winter and summer seasons.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

+1 for bilbo47. I have two sets for my 2013 RS5 and need winters here in ND.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm using Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice. Look and function good.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you for your responses. Winter tires it is I guess and yes you are correct I do plan on having 2 sets. It just kills me to spend that kind of $$ on something I will only use a few months but that said I totally hear you and I figured that was the way to go vs. the AS. I just needed a push. I have a new set of black 20's for summer that I need tires for too and was hoping to invest the funds more in that direction

Thanks again,
Sam
Old 11-18-2014, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Oh and also @bilbo47 the Michelin PA4's are the ones I really want. They seem amazing. Since you've had both the Blizzaks and the PA4's - what are some differences you've noticed? What stands out regarding likes and dislikes?
Old 11-18-2014, 11:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by slk928
Oh and also @bilbo47 the Michelin PA4's are the ones I really want. They seem amazing. Since you've had both the Blizzaks and the PA4's - what are some differences you've noticed? What stands out regarding likes and dislikes?
I shouldn't comment too much on differences. Any comments I make would be unfair.

The last set of Blizzaks I had were for a Q5 and they weren't the performance model. I think they were WS70's, which go on light trucks, SUVs and passenger cars. I don't think they would be an option for us, as they don't come in the sizes we need for our cars. They were mean, aggressive, and absolutely bullet proof. No slip, handled all conditions with ease. Unless I was being an idiot, they wouldn't break out from underneath me while driving.

My PA4's are a little different. The tread isn't nearly as deep and the side tread isn't nearly aggressive. They don't feel as soft as the Blizzaks, and they will slip and slide if you push them. I assume it's the difference in (i) power between the vehicles, (ii) the resulting "heavier" right foot I have, and (iii) the fact that the tread doesn't appear to be as aggressive as the WS70s.

I don't think you'll go wrong if you're deciding between Michelin PA4's and the Blizzaks that should be on our cars.. which I think are called Blizzak LM20's? or LM-something.

I'd probably check which tires are getting good ratings on Tirerack for the size you need, then pick from the top 4 or 5 rated tires in the category. When I did this 2 years ago, the PA4's barely eeked out the Blizzaks. When I was at the tire store, I ended up picking up the Michelins on a whim. The price was nearly identical and the guy told me the PA4s were supposed to be the new "best in class".
Old 11-19-2014, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

I have Blizzak LM60 255/40 18's on my RS5. Very satisfied.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 - A non-studded tire that offers supreme driving comfort and safety / Nokian Tires

I have these on my 2013 S5 in 225/45-18. Great in ice and snow. Quiet on highway. No studs. Best winter tire out there. Available locally. These are on titanium wheels. 18x8.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires