Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 01:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run Gislavad Nordfrost 5's on a five spoke Audi rim (sorry no idea of the name). Quiet, great ride and traction wet, dry or snow & ice.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Crusader105
I run Gislavad Nordfrost 5's on a five spoke Audi rim (sorry no idea of the name). Quiet, great ride and traction wet, dry or snow & ice.
I just purchased my 2012 A5 Cab this last summer so it's my first winter with an Audi. When I purchased the car it came with Sport Performance tires which I knew would not work in the Wisconsin winters. I decided to go with the Goodyear LS Sport AS and I couldn't be happier. This car and these tires have been awesome in the snow. I'm having almost as much fun in the winter as I did driving it this last summer with the top down. It's still to early to see how long the will last but two months into a new set of tires I will give them A+. The only possible down side to the tire is they have a built in rim protector on the tire which some feel it looks bad. At first I wasn't sure what I thought, but now after having them a while they look awesome....
Old 12-05-2014, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Winter Tires

Sorry my bad the tires are GOODYEAR EAGLE SPORT ALL-SEASON (V-SPEED RATED)
Old 12-06-2014, 07:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by slk928
Hi all,
Can anyone recommend some good winter tires for my 2013 S5. I've been doing some research and seriously my head is starting to hurt with all the stats etc., and likes, dislikes (reviews) on Tire Rack. Originally I was set on Blizzaks but now I'm starting to question everything. Maybe an AS tire would be just fine? I'm in the DC metro area. We do not get a terrible amount of snow but quite a few icy days. My commute is rather far, the roads leading to my house are very inclined and my driveway is straight uphill. Anyway, any help or direction would be very much appreciated.

TIA,
Samantha

Ps. I'm a Florida Native ;p
The $$$ won't matter the first time you panic stop trying not to slam into the rear of a vehicle. The extra feet will matter big time..I use Nokians on my Subaru outback and those things stop and turn amazing!!!
Old 12-08-2014, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveandKarla
The $$$ won't matter the first time you panic stop trying not to slam into the rear of a vehicle. The extra feet will matter big time..I use Nokians on my Subaru outback and those things stop and turn amazing!!!
I live in the DC metro area and have run snow tires, either Michelin or Dunlop whatevers from TireRack on dedicated alloys.

Whatever snow tire you get will be bad news on ice, even blizzaks. I've been on ice in a Killington parking lot and the only thing that worked was cable chains. Real ice in DC/MD/NOVA I just stay home.

There are traction aids that work on Audis, they're expensive, best ones are
Sport Style/ Alpine Pro Spikes Spider®:

They're not cheap, but if you insist on driving in ice...
Old 12-15-2014, 03:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Our local Audi Club usually holds about 5 car control clinics per winter on a lake that they plow out various exercise courses. They have ACNA sanctioned instructors available for those that request in-car instruction.

I've been attending these for about 6 years now and even on glare ice that one can hardly walk on, you can use throttle, steering, braking and handbrake input and techniques to be safe. You *can* control your car when you have almost zero traction, you just need to know what to do.

Dedicated winter tires are a definite plus even on ice. Some recent All-Season tires are getting pretty good, but even they cannot compete with true winter tire formulations.

Tires and experience are cheap insurance to help keep you from getting bent metal on your wonderful car - swap out complete sets of tires/wheels for winter and summer uses.