Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Yet another control arm bushings case

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Alex,
With regards to your second issue, I have the same exact problem. I bought my 2014 Ibis White S5 4 months back. Within a month I noticed at idle, there is slight bit of vibration coming from the engine or transmission. You can tell by looking at the passenger seat which shakes ever so slightly or if you have a plastic bag (like a grocery bag in the front seat) which also shakes. Will have Audi look at in the next couple weeks. Let me know if you get yours checked out and they tell you if its normal or there really is an issue. My first guess would be the engine mounts if there were to be an issue...Thanks..

GR

Originally Posted by Alex100
Hi all,

Greetings from Dallas, TX, USA.
I've already introduced myself, just transferring my post here as well, for better exposure.

A few days ago I bought a 2013 Audi S5 Coupe, Phantom Black with pearl, used with 47000 miles. Other than the following two issues, I'm pretty happy with the car.

When I turn the steering wheel all the way to the right or left, and move the car very slowly, I hear a groaning noise coming from underneath the front end of the car. I suspected that the control arm bushings are cracked (common issue with Audi cars), and I've attached a few pictures in that regard. I also have a slight vibration when I do around 70mph, which is also probably due to the bushings. What do you guys think? Should I head to the dealership to have this replaced under warranty?

The second issue is the vibration I feel through the seat (through my thighs) when the car is idling (around 700rpm). No vibration when reving higher than that (either in Neutral or Drive). I understand that the 3.0L supercharged V6 is not the most well-balanced engine out there, but the vibration is easily noticeable so I was wondering if there's something else going on.

thanks for any advice given.

br,
Alex
Old 08-15-2016, 10:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've thought of the engine mounts, and also the timing chains (their tensioners tend to break and pieces are caught on the chain, causing the chains to skip/jump slightly) since I also have a noticeable rattling noise for 1-2 seconds when I do a cold start, but the service manager (when I took the car in) said that he would most probably blame carbon deposits for such an issue (I mean the vibration issue).

Anyway, I should have news this week. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by Alex100; 08-15-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So on the drive back home today, i tried to pass a car on the next lane doing about 60mph, and all of sudden the engine started to shake violently when i pressed the accelerator and sounded like it was about to shut off. Also at the same time the EPC light came on. Pulled off the highway and shut the engine down. After about 1 minute started the engine back on, EPC light still on but no shaking. Once i got back home, I let the car sit for about 30mins. Started it again now no light or shaking. Very odd. Never happened before. Going to drop it off at the Audi dealer tomorrow.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That's very alarming. Do tell us what the dealer diagnosis is.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Dropped the car off today. Audi is claiming cylinder #3 misfired due to lower octane gas. Supposedly they tested the fuel in the tank and got 88 octane back. I dont think ive put lower than 93octane in this car or my previous car (Lexus IS350 F-Sport). Also checked my credit card and I bought the gas from Shell which is approved by Audi . They are refusing to check for carbon deposit due to too low miles on the odo (30.7k). Starting to think the switch to Audi may not have been the best idea.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So your Audi claims that 30K miles is too low to even check for carbon deposits, and my Audi claims that at 48K miles it's very possible to have carbon deposits. Looks like carbon deposits is the easy excuse when things don't got their way...

So did you take the car back from them or is it still in?
Old 08-16-2016, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just got it back. Drove it 15miles on the highway. Driving very smooth. Hopefully no more misfires once i get the bad fuel out. They told me to just run down and/or add octane booster.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by S5_01
Dropped the car off today. Audi is claiming cylinder #3 misfired due to lower octane gas. Supposedly they tested the fuel in the tank and got 88 octane back...
I'd love to know how they made a determination of 88 octane. I worked in an oil refinery and the octane testing equipment was rather complicated and quite expensive. It consisted of a single-cylinder, adjustable compression engine (the head could be raised and lowered). Test parameters were kept as constant as possible to keep from altering the results. I doubt that an Audi dealership has such equipment sitting around. It's not like you can dip a special test paper in the gas sample and magically arrive at its octane number.

I call BS on your dealer.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HamOnRye
Would that be the first time?
Old 08-16-2016, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Good color. Def gonna ask if I have another misfire (which I'm kind of expecting as they didnt make any changes) and I have to take it in.

Originally Posted by HamOnRye
I'd love to know how they made a determination of 88 octane. I worked in an oil refinery and the octane testing equipment was rather complicated and quite expensive. It consisted of a single-cylinder, adjustable compression engine (the head could be raised and lowered). Test parameters were kept as constant as possible to keep from altering the results. I doubt that an Audi dealership has such equipment sitting around. It's not like you can dip a special test paper in the gas sample and magically arrive at its octane number.

Quick Reply: Yet another control arm bushings case