Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

2009 S5 warning lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 S5 warning lights

My 2009 S5 was shipped in a covered carrier from NJ to FL last weekend. The car arrived a few days before I did. When I started it at first, and every time since, the ESP and emergency brake warning lights come on, and, of course, were not on when I turned the car over to the shipper in NJ. The car seems to operate just fine and the emergency brake operates correctly. Absent convincing contrary advice I won't take it to a dealer for solution, particularly since I'm still smarting from a recent clutch replacement.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-17-2016, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

According to the Owners Manual, if both warning lights are lit, you should have it checked by an Audi dealer. If you have VCDS, you can attempt to reset the DTC's and see what happens. Dude, there is something wrong with the brakes. Don't gamble with your safety just because you are afraid to spend some money to fix the problem, if there is one. If it is just a false alarm, at least, you'll have some peace of mind that you and your car are going to be OK.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Frankford, Ontario, Canada. 08 R8TT, 08 A5, 90 TT 300ZX, Ducati TT2
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remote chance it has something to do with the power supply for the emergency brake control module. A VCDS check for codes should confirm/deny this.
FWIW, I've been wrestling with a combined warning light issue for the Airbags and Emergency brake for over 9 months to no viable solution other then letting the dealership attempt the old "lets keep replacing parts until the problem goes away".
Old 11-20-2016, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

A wild guess would be that an ABS wheel sensor got damaged by a tie down used during transport. A VAG com scan and then a visual inspection should confirm.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The plot has thickened. The car runs fine when the ESP and parking brake warning lights are on. Now, they occasionally go off and the car runs terribly, very rough, idles at higher rpms. If I put it in a lower gear and run at 4,000 plus rpms the lights come on and the car runs fine again. Any further thoughts?
Old 11-21-2016, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

I wouldn't drag my heels on getting it VCDS scanned.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by jschrauwen
I wouldn't drag my heels on getting it VCDS scanned.
Agreed. That is not a damaged wheel sensor.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default One weird conclusion

I was sufficiently influenced by the possible risks I might be facing with my newest problems with my S5, on an impulse I drove to my nearest Audi dealer, about 30 minutes away. As "luck" would have it they had a loaner for me, a basic Hyundai Elantra, and promised for $149 a thorough investigation of my problem. In fact, a few hours later I received the solution to the presenting problem, a new mass airflow sensor, as well as a laundry list covering repairs that would cost just about the fmv of my beloved ride. I authorized the sensor repair, which the repair desk huckster said would be $585 for the part and $300 for labor. Incidentally, there was an airbag module recall needing attention for which there would be no charge.

I immediately embarqued on a thorough-going research project, which led me quickly to the evidence of the part cost being $235, on, of all places, the very same dealership's online parts site. A phone call to my mechanic up north led me to know that the repair was about a 30 minute endeavor.

I received a call early this afternoon indicating that the car was running properly and that all warning lights (engine, esp, and parking brake) were cleared, and that the car was ready for pickup.

With my iPad Pro in hand I arrived at the desk of my service smoothy, who informed me that my bill was ready, with the part now costing $285 and one hour of labor for the princely amount of $220. After 15 minutes of his conferring with the parts department, which came up with justification even my service guy couldn't buy, he agreed to match his firm's price. The labor component was firm, he said, assuring me that $220 was their hourly rate norm, and not educated to the world of decimals, the one hour labor was just that.

Reluctantly, I paid the adjusted bill, received the key fob, and got in and started the car, which, as promised, purred. Strangely, though, my right hand came up empty when I attempted to latch the seatbelt; the female portion was not to be found. I killed the engine and reported to service huckster, who assured me that he could locate it next to the seat, which he could not as it wasn't there. It seems that in replacing the airbag module that only the first "r" in r & r was performed. The forgetful technician (maybe dental, I fear) was called to task and within 30 minutes the latch was replaced. For all I know or care, perhaps the technician will get an "r".

We all smiled our disengenuous smiles, knowing that our relationship was at its end, and I departed. Should anyone seriously care for the name of the Florida dealership, let me know.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

$220 per hour shop rate? Oh my dear God!!
I'm thankful my local Audi go-to mechanic charges $90/hr.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'd like to know more about this airbag module fix/repair/recall. I've been trying to source as much data on this as possible and most points to a situation that this recall is still pending and not actionable as of yet.
Anything you could provide in this regard would be most helpful to me to nudge my local dealership to be more receptive.
*Note* I do live in Ontario Canada but my car originated from Miami.

Quick Reply: 2009 S5 warning lights