Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

2010 A5 2.0T - Pristine Cabrio

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 08:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 A5 2.0T - Pristine Cabrio

I test drove a 2010 A5 2.0T yesterday w/35k on the ticker. To put it mildly, the car is in like-new condition. I could not find a single scratch on the exterior or interior..next to a 2015, they looked like twins.

Rust is minimal underneath and rims look brand new...so I don't think the original owner ever took it out w/salt on the roads. Summer tires were still on it, so it was probably a garage queen during the colder temps.

The original owner brought it back to the dealer, so it was easy to grab the history on the car; no mechanical/electrical issues. It was involved in a rear-end collision, but was told it was just bumper damage. I looked under the car and the repairs were completed by a competent person...truly does appear it was just the bumper and not a sales pitch.

I've read pages and pages of insight on this wonderful forum and it appears the 2010 2.0T ( & car) are considered reliable by forum members. I saw a mention of the 2.0T consuming oil, but that was in a small number of cases.

Some reports on the "consumer report" type of websites list this car as only average for reliability...thoughts as to why?

It comes with a 2yr warranty & 100k, but are there any considerations I should think about before purchasing this car? I'm handy with tools and can take a Chevy Truck apart, but have never touched a German car...so any repair bills would probably knock me out of my socks b/c I usually just buy parts and install them. Not a big deal, but I'm hoping not wrench on this and just maintain it for at least the first few yrs after warranty.

Any insight would be great!! This will be my DD and it snows quite a bit in my neck of the woods so I would have a dedicated set of winters available.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just found the lawsuit regarding the oil burning. If I buy this car today, can I also have these parts replaced for free should my car burn oil? (this car is certified audi with the 2yr manuf extended warranty)
Old 09-18-2015, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

In 11/2014 I purchased from some long-time friends of ours (located in Dallas TX) a similar 'garage queen' car (2010 A5 2.0T Cabrio) with 10,500 miles.

I am located in Houston TX, so don't have to worry about snow (if it is scheduled to rain hard, I will take the Jeep to work)

To date, my issues are:

1. car is consuming 1 quart of oil every 3,000 miles (yes - I plan on contacting the local stealer-ship for an 'oil consumption' test)
2. had to replace the fuel injectors (injector #3 stuck open - had all four replaced)

This car is my daily driver, and I 'drive it like I stole it'! My wife says "why do you drive so fast?", and I reply "because I can!!"

We enjoy going 'top down' often (yes - even with the Houston heat/humidity)!!!!!
Old 09-18-2015, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd get the car. Sounds like a well taken care of A5. And since you're handy, you can save on maintenance, which at the dealership can be very costly.

I too have a chevy truck (Silverado) you might be able to notice in my avatar to the right of my S5. Chevy trucks are a piece of cake to work on. My chevy has been to the dealer once in seven years for a complimentary oil change and tire rotation. Otherwise everything was done by me. Parts are readily available and inexpensive. Not so with German cars, parts are sometimes harder to find and pricey. However, the driving experience and enjoyment of driving German beats most anything Chevy except for the Z06.

Consumer reports may have listed it as average for reliability because of the major issue of oil consumption.

If you get the car, I'd immediately purchase a dipstick, checking your oil via the dipstick is the way to go. Don't trust the MMI, verify with an actual dipstick.

You'll enjoy this car, it should handle most snow well. And although I've never owned one, I did research it extensively before deciding on the S instead. Best of luck.

Last edited by lmariorod; 09-18-2015 at 05:38 AM.