Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

2010 S5 amp and sub install write-up

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 08:17 AM
Q
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spent some time in one at the dealer just to listen to the stereo. True, it did lack in the bass department. The mids/highs were pretty good. I like to listen loud. You know the guy, in the chevy suburban, you can hear him a block away thumping some Biggie Smalls or whatever. I'm kinda like that guy, only I'm doing it In an Audi or a Porsche with Miles and Freddie Hubbard. One definite is that I will have to wrap the doors. There was some definite resonance there. The center channel did a nice job of keeping the front stage centered but I wish the image were a bit further out. How will I have "dead" speakers? The Bit1 will give me 8 output channels. In the doors are a 2-way system if I recall. I would bi-amp those, one channel each to the center and rears and one channel to the subs. That's 8. Are there drivers in the rear deck other than the B&O sub?
Old 03-30-2010, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Q
I spent some time in one at the dealer just to listen to the stereo. True, it did lack in the bass department. The mids/highs were pretty good. I like to listen loud. You know the guy, in the chevy suburban, you can hear him a block away thumping some Biggie Smalls or whatever. I'm kinda like that guy, only I'm doing it In an Audi or a Porsche with Miles and Freddie Hubbard. One definite is that I will have to wrap the doors. There was some definite resonance there. The center channel did a nice job of keeping the front stage centered but I wish the image were a bit further out. How will I have "dead" speakers? The Bit1 will give me 8 output channels. In the doors are a 2-way system if I recall. I would bi-amp those, one channel each to the center and rears and one channel to the subs. That's 8. Are there drivers in the rear deck other than the B&O sub?
There are 14 speakers in an S5. Yes, there are mids in the rear deck, in addition to the sub. There are also woofers and tweeters in the rear side panels (where rear doors would be if it was a 4 door) So that's your deficit of 6 speakers, 14 minus 8 = 6 ...

I'm not telling you waht to do or anything - just making sure you have all the info. Might just be better to get the car and inspect it firsthand before making up your mind or spending any $$ on something that might not work...
Old 03-30-2010, 07:51 PM
Q
AudiWorld Member

didn't know there were drivers in the rear deck. I haven't built a system with rear speakers in sooooo long. the center channel, is it a single driver or a two way system? Also, what size are the other drivers if you happen to know. I know you can watch movies but what about the audio? Does the factory system decode DD or DTS? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

has anyone figured out how to get the signal for the new sub before it goes into the amp. I have a symphony II. Amp is in the rear drivers side well. I know i could just disconnect the audi's sub wires and turn them into rca's but i think you would get a cleaner sound if you did it before the amp. correct me if i am wrong.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by paulpassat
has anyone figured out how to get the signal for the new sub before it goes into the amp. I have a symphony II. Amp is in the rear drivers side well. I know i could just disconnect the audi's sub wires and turn them into rca's but i think you would get a cleaner sound if you did it before the amp. correct me if i am wrong.
From what I understand, it's an optical digital stream from the head unit to the amp. Tapping into that would be very difficult or require some advanced hardware to make it happen. They make some very nice RCA converter boxes that do noise reduction, gain, eq, etc... That would be the best bet if you want to keep things simple and get a line-level input to your amp.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just did a sub/amp install on my 2010 A5 (w/ B&O) and wanted to share a few pics... the amp is an Alpine PDX and the sub is by JL.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5432923...7625176835005/
Old 05-12-2012, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

What colors were the wires to the factory sub?
Old 05-13-2012, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Breau
What colors were the wires to the factory sub?
Yellow/White = +
Yellow/Blue = -
Old 04-29-2014, 07:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

scribed.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

just use a speaker to RCA adapter at best buy or amazon. It will take the speaker outputs and down them to rca inputs for an amp. I used 500 execlon amp and 2 12" kickers in a box that squeezes into the trunk. The salesman at Braman thought I was joking that it sounded better than the S6 B&O for 6k. It rocks and always get compliments about the sound.
Originally Posted by Imola Ghost
I'm not a car audio installer but a little confused. Don't you need RCA's running to the amp to get the signal?

Quick Reply: 2010 S5 amp and sub install write-up