Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

clutch pedal sticking to the ground, transmission leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch pedal sticking to the ground, transmission leaking?

Good day everyone, so earlier today, I was at a light. I had my foot on the clutch about to go and it was like the car stalled even though my foot was on the clutch. After that happened, the clutch pedal stayed all the way down. After settling with it and lifting the clutch pedal up with my foot, I could get it in gear and limped home. While at home and trying to figure out what was happening, after trying again, I couldn't get it into gear. The clutch pedal was even lighter and just went to the ground. I ended up noticing under my car fluid which I can only assume was either from the transmission or slave/master cylinder after looking at the forums but couldn't find a concrete answer on this. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 02-18-2017, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Classic slave cyl failure symptoms. The fluid is brake fluid. Be aware that the leakage can drain the reservoir and get air into braking system rendering your brakes inoperable.
The good news is that these slave cylinders are external to the bell housing and providing your clutch is still good, will not require dropping the transmission. I just had to replace one on a TT and those are internal. Everything has to come apart for them. Good luck.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
Classic slave cyl failure symptoms. The fluid is brake fluid. Be aware that the leakage can drain the reservoir and get air into braking system rendering your brakes inoperable.
The good news is that these slave cylinders are external to the bell housing and providing your clutch is still good, will not require dropping the transmission. I just had to replace one on a TT and those are internal. Everything has to come apart for them. Good luck.
Wow, seriously? The hydraulic clutch shares the same fluid reservoir with the braking system on these cars?

I'm relatively new to the German vehicles and haven't owned a manual one of these yet but I've never seen a hydraulic system shared like that before.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Immediately check your brake fluid level!!

Originally Posted by Devilhug
Good day everyone, so earlier today, I was at a light. I had my foot on the clutch about to go and it was like the car stalled even though my foot was on the clutch. After that happened, the clutch pedal stayed all the way down. After settling with it and lifting the clutch pedal up with my foot, I could get it in gear and limped home. While at home and trying to figure out what was happening, after trying again, I couldn't get it into gear. The clutch pedal was even lighter and just went to the ground. I ended up noticing under my car fluid which I can only assume was either from the transmission or slave/master cylinder after looking at the forums but couldn't find a concrete answer on this. Anyone have any ideas?
Like another poster has noted, the clutch m/c is filled from the brake fluid reservoir (a failed safety issue IMHO...years ago clutch and brake m/c's had separate reservoirs but when they moved the clutch m/c way down by the floor its reservoir was linked by a tube to the brake m/c)

If your brake fluid reservoir is low, fill it NOW. If it goes dry, you won't have brakes and you'll have air in the lines when you fill it up.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Just as a note, most cars share brake and clutch hydraulic systems. That is not unique to Audis or Germans.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default To be fair, they don't share hydraulic systems.

Originally Posted by lyleswk
Just as a note, most cars share brake and clutch hydraulic systems. That is not unique to Audis or Germans.
They share a hydraulic fluid reservoir. Picky picky.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So we were putting in a new slave cylinder. We were bleeding the system. For a good bit the clutch peddle would still hit the floor until pressure came back but this was still early on. The pressure that came back kept the clutch peddle an inch or 2 from the fire wall and was firm there. The clutch peddle when pushed back would still fall back with little force to that position but with every pull back it was also getting pressure coming up. Now at this point I decided to push back as hard as I can and pop, it went back down and under the engine started leaking again. Im wondering if I just destroyed another slave cylinder and need a new one or if there is an under lying issue that the pressure plate could be screwed. Anyone got any ideas?
Old 02-22-2017, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Should also point out that even though it was leaking, the Reservoir really never got empty
Old 10-04-2022, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Any solution yet ?

Originally Posted by Devilhug
So we were putting in a new slave cylinder. We were bleeding the system. For a good bit the clutch peddle would still hit the floor until pressure came back but this was still early on. The pressure that came back kept the clutch peddle an inch or 2 from the fire wall and was firm there. The clutch peddle when pushed back would still fall back with little force to that position but with every pull back it was also getting pressure coming up. Now at this point I decided to push back as hard as I can and pop, it went back down and under the engine started leaking again. Im wondering if I just destroyed another slave cylinder and need a new one or if there is an under lying issue that the pressure plate could be screwed. Anyone got any ideas?

did you find the solution ?