Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Electrical Gremlins - Convenience Key

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 01:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Gremlins - Convenience Key

2010 A5, 2.0L - Haven't done much to it except replace the grill and install winter wheels/tires but between yesterday and today, I hardwired my V1 into the d/s fuse panel and installed LED reverse light bulbs into the decklid (didn't know that there were 4 bulbs...and also didn't realize that "error free" doesn't mean a damn thing on an Audi, lol).

So, today, shortly after installing the pair of LEDs, my touch/keyless entry stopped working. The buttons work on both fobs, but I get the Convenience Key error and cannot lock/unlock without the fob, and cannot use the Start/Stop button. This is a major annoyance.....

I got a Schwaben VAG scan tool for xmas, which has already gotten some use. Error Code 00183 comes up, "Interior Access Start Authorization Antenna 1 (R138) - sporadic 007 Short to Ground, as well as 01330 Central Control Module for Central Convenience (j393) - sporadic 004 No Signal/Communication.

Does this automatically mean the antenna is dead? Or could any of the door sensors cause this? My doors always unlocked fine, but only while washing the car would it ever lock by touch.

Also, could either of the mods affect the keyless? I'd have to go look at the fuse I tapped into, but it was top of the center stack in the fuse panel.

I see that the antenna itself is not expensive, so I don't mind buying that, but don't want to waste $ if possible.

Thoughts?
Old 12-30-2016, 01:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll add that, lately, the car HAS been locking itself via proximity without me touching anything.

And I just checked the fuse slot I tapped into and it was the interior mirror fuse (brown/center stack, #1), so that's not the cause, nor is the V1 affected...it's working fine.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default have you ever replaced the fob battery?

Originally Posted by BuffaloA5
2010 A5, 2.0L - Haven't done much to it except replace the grill and install winter wheels/tires but between yesterday and today, I hardwired my V1 into the d/s fuse panel and installed LED reverse light bulbs into the decklid (didn't know that there were 4 bulbs...and also didn't realize that "error free" doesn't mean a damn thing on an Audi, lol).

So, today, shortly after installing the pair of LEDs, my touch/keyless entry stopped working. The buttons work on both fobs, but I get the Convenience Key error and cannot lock/unlock without the fob, and cannot use the Start/Stop button. This is a major annoyance.....

I got a Schwaben VAG scan tool for xmas, which has already gotten some use. Error Code 00183 comes up, "Interior Access Start Authorization Antenna 1 (R138) - sporadic 007 Short to Ground, as well as 01330 Central Control Module for Central Convenience (j393) - sporadic 004 No Signal/Communication.

Does this automatically mean the antenna is dead? Or could any of the door sensors cause this? My doors always unlocked fine, but only while washing the car would it ever lock by touch.

Also, could either of the mods affect the keyless? I'd have to go look at the fuse I tapped into, but it was top of the center stack in the fuse panel.

I see that the antenna itself is not expensive, so I don't mind buying that, but don't want to waste $ if possible.

Thoughts?
On the newer cars I get a replace key fob battery icon/warning even though my coin battery tester shows green on the 1620? coin batteries. Nevertheless, when I replaced them I stopped getting key fob battery warnings.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Frankford, Ontario, Canada. 08 R8TT, 08 A5, 90 TT 300ZX, Ducati TT2
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
On the newer cars I get a replace key fob battery icon/warning even though my coin battery tester shows green on the 1620? coin batteries. Nevertheless, when I replaced them I stopped getting key fob battery warnings.
You raise an interesting idea. I've replaced my fob batteries twice in the last year. Albeit with what appears to be regular Sunbeam Lithium CR2032 batteries. Could battery type/brand actually make a difference?
Old 01-05-2017, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would say, yes. When I use some Chinese-branded coin batteries, they do not last as long as the Energizer or Duracell brands.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, and new batteries aren't always good ones.

Originally Posted by jschrauwen
You raise an interesting idea. I've replaced my fob batteries twice in the last year. Albeit with what appears to be regular Sunbeam Lithium CR2032 batteries. Could battery type/brand actually make a difference?
I bug dozens of coin batteries online, some energizer, some weird brands. CR says alkaline is alkaline and cheapest is generally the best value. However, I also have a coin battery tester and some of the weird stuff s in fact old stock or defective or just plain dead, who knows?

Also, the batteries I replaced tested in the good range on my tester but close to weak...I didn't monitor the actual voltage although it was displayed. The new batteries had sgbifivantly higher voltage and stopped the key fob warning. Strangely enough, my wife's fob has the OEM batteries in it with no problem....and it's her car so you would think her batteries would have more use and therefore need replacing.

Rechargeable fob isn't an answer so much. My BMW has rechargeable fob and one of the key sets went tango uniform but I found a guy in TX who has a nice little job replacing rechargeable coin batteries in BMW fobs. It's a 2003 and the repair went well. Still, on balance, I'd rather just replace primary cells every 5 years or so.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Agree. Although I can't link to specific brands

Originally Posted by plat27265
I would say, yes. When I use some Chinese-branded coin batteries, they do not last as long as the Energizer or Duracell brands.
I think a lot of it is new old stock being dumped on eBay.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
and it's her car so you would think her batteries would have more use and therefore need replacing.
LOL I see what you did there.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hmmm...must have been a Freudian slip...

Originally Posted by jschrauwen
LOL I see what you did there.
I did not see that one coming (damn, no pun intended).
Old 01-08-2017, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Getting back on topic. I think the mechanical locking mechanism in my driver's door may be toast. My fob will lock the mechanism on the passenger's door - I hear the "clunk" but I don't get the same for the driver's door. I might try that cycling on/off thing via the inside door locking switch to see if that shows any positive results. Failing that, I think maybe I have to replace the locking mechanism inside. Not really looking forward to removing the door panel. Past experience on other cars has shown that it's never 100% the same afterwards.
I've already replaced both door (touch) sensors last summer.

Quick Reply: Electrical Gremlins - Convenience Key