Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Electrical Gremlins - Convenience Key

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Ow..electrical gremlins. Maybe time to replace car?

Originally Posted by jschrauwen
Getting back on topic. I think the mechanical locking mechanism in my driver's door may be toast. My fob will lock the mechanism on the passenger's door - I hear the "clunk" but I don't get the same for the driver's door. I might try that cycling on/off thing via the inside door locking switch to see if that shows any positive results. Failing that, I think maybe I have to replace the locking mechanism inside. Not really looking forward to removing the door panel. Past experience on other cars has shown that it's never 100% the same afterwards.
I've already replaced both door (touch) sensors last summer.
Things like door mechanisms should last the life of the car. But I share your pain on removing door panels.
Sometimes I can improve the panel by using a better grade of plastic sheeting or even adding dynamat sound dampening.

Once this stuff starts to go you really have to consider how much aggro you want to put up with for the next couple years, not to mention the salvage value of the car if in a minor fender bender.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Frankford, Ontario, Canada. 08 R8TT, 08 A5, 90 TT 300ZX, Ducati TT2
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Things like door mechanisms should last the life of the car. But I share your pain on removing door panels.
Sometimes I can improve the panel by using a better grade of plastic sheeting or even adding dynamat sound dampening.

Once this stuff starts to go you really have to consider how much aggro you want to put up with for the next couple years, not to mention the salvage value of the car if in a minor fender bender.
I have a roll of (I think 6 Mil) house vapour barrier that might be a tad bit thicker. I even have some dynamat-like material on hand as well.
I think I read somewhere that there are teeth or something similar on the locking mechanism tubler and that a few of those teeth can break off which prevents a full lock through electronic means. It does lock using the physical key easy enough though. I just miss having the full functionality of my key fob.
Am I getting lazy/old? ...... don't answer that. lol