Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

found a viable replacement for mt owners like me

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 04:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default found a viable replacement for mt owners like me

no more mt options from audi for performance cars. never thought I would see that day. been with audi for over 30 years - 10 cars, 3 S4s and 3 S5s a few A6s and even a 86' 5000cs turbo. wow talk about a car that sucked. horrible everything. amazing what time can change. I was totally underwater re miles, always went with min miles as I rolled into a new car every 3 years. no new car = $5K I owned them. Audi stepped up and absorbed $2K and waived the destination charge. still $3K is prob 3x what it would have cost me in the lease. what can you do.

I ended up getting a bmw. I know, its still hard to believe lol. 2017 M2 alpine white, mt, exec package and some sort of apple interface. it was a saga getting one of these as the dealers are both marking them up when they can and they are also of limited supply. I cannot imagine any S5 mt owner not liking this car. total blast to drive. I am sure many here know all about it and what the press and reviews have said. just thought I would pass on a personal endorsement of the car. it has a lot to measure up with audi and only time will tell. I seldom had any audi issues - out of 6 S cars I had a trans failure 375mi from home but managed to use 3-6 to get back and the car was returned to me in a day. audi makes an outstanding product, its clear to see. I have heard horror stories re cost of ownership with bmws but also heard the same about audi so its ymmv. bmw was very weight and driving focused with the m2 so some that perfer more luxury might have issue with its more austere approach but overall it works for me. amazing seat comfort and adjustments. solid power and torque. handling from the gods. ~400#s less weight. nice idrive stuff, nav and audio is decent. $hitty fuel capacity. I looked at pcars both 911 and cayman, f-types, mustang gt and shelby, the track focused camaro's and a focus rs. I am very happy the route I went.

Anyway there you have it. I have really enjoyed my time with audi and I hope you enjoy yours as well. be well
Attached Thumbnails found a viable replacement for mt owners like me-1.jpg   found a viable replacement for mt owners like me-2.jpg   found a viable replacement for mt owners like me-stick.jpg  
Old 12-08-2016, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the M2 KurtLA! I too was thrown a huge curveball when wanting to replace my 2013 manual S5 when my lease expired a few weeks ago with first the announcement that the B9 S5 would be auto only and also my other choice, the Alfa Giulia QV suddenly doing an about face with an announcement that it too would be auto only.

Ironically enough I have been considering an Alpine White M4 however I need to wait a few things out as I am also in the process of changing jobs. I am still considering going back to a B9 A5 as at least it will be available in a manual.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default I feel ya. I have an E46 M3 cabrio with MUCH less agro than 02S6 or 2K4.2A6

Originally Posted by KurtLA
no more mt options from audi for performance cars. never thought I would see that day. been with audi for over 30 years - 10 cars, 3 S4s and 3 S5s a few A6s and even a 86' 5000cs turbo. wow talk about a car that sucked. horrible everything. amazing what time can change. I was totally underwater re miles, always went with min miles as I rolled into a new car every 3 years. no new car = $5K I owned them. Audi stepped up and absorbed $2K and waived the destination charge. still $3K is prob 3x what it would have cost me in the lease. what can you do.

I ended up getting a bmw. I know, its still hard to believe lol. 2017 M2 alpine white, mt, exec package and some sort of apple interface. it was a saga getting one of these as the dealers are both marking them up when they can and they are also of limited supply. I cannot imagine any S5 mt owner not liking this car. total blast to drive. I am sure many here know all about it and what the press and reviews have said. just thought I would pass on a personal endorsement of the car. it has a lot to measure up with audi and only time will tell. I seldom had any audi issues - out of 6 S cars I had a trans failure 375mi from home but managed to use 3-6 to get back and the car was returned to me in a day. audi makes an outstanding product, its clear to see. I have heard horror stories re cost of ownership with bmws but also heard the same about audi so its ymmv. bmw was very weight and driving focused with the m2 so some that perfer more luxury might have issue with its more austere approach but overall it works for me. amazing seat comfort and adjustments. solid power and torque. handling from the gods. ~400#s less weight. nice idrive stuff, nav and audio is decent. $hitty fuel capacity. I looked at pcars both 911 and cayman, f-types, mustang gt and shelby, the track focused camaro's and a focus rs. I am very happy the route I went.

Anyway there you have it. I have really enjoyed my time with audi and I hope you enjoy yours as well. be well
Yes, the S54 engine had con rod bearings replace TWICE under warranty, no damage to crank or engines, just recalls and had to go 1500 miles break in twice, both door's regulators replaced (warranty), and both airbags replaced (warranty), but no transmission problems, etc. as with BOTH freakin' V8 audis. I think Audi/ZF simply undersized the transmissions for these cars. I hope the 2016 S8 doesn't have similar trans problems since I'm looking at several of them. I might wait until 2018 A8L...Consumer Reports recommended waiting for the '18.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is one fantastic car. Sat in a blue one at the N.Y. Auto show in April and drove an AT blue one at the track @ Lime Rock Park Racetrack in Conn. Was able to also drive the M3. The M2 is quite a little beast. Much preferred it to the M3 or the Autocrossing raced M4.

Just can't let go of my S5 yet. We'll see in two or three years.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...kdays-2902091/

Last edited by lmariorod; 12-10-2016 at 04:10 AM.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Yeah, my sneaky 50y/o cousin Christina just got an S5 convertible.

Originally Posted by lmariorod
This is one fantastic car. Sat in a blue one at the N.Y. Auto show in April and drove an AT blue one at the track @ Lime Rock Park Racetrack in Conn. Was able to also drive the M3. The M2 is quite a little beast. Much preferred it to the M3 or the Autocrossing raced M4.

Just can't let go of my S5 yet. We'll see in two or three years.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...kdays-2902091/
The 2016 3.0T (?) but still.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Congratulations of the M2 - Hopefully you weren't gouged...

I am looking at the M2 as a replacement for my RS5, but in LA, they are still getting $10-15K over MSRP. Not willing to do that. Also considering the new chassis Camaro as it is available with the 1LE package and a manual…

With respect to ownership costs… all of these cars are a crapshoot - especially those with recent redesigns. I lease and so trade a known depreciation hit against the protection from the unexpected with warrantees and a service package. My cars are pristine and usually the dealer will take them back without penalty at about 60-75% of the lease completed if something new catches my eye (such as the RS5). My philosophy is to capture the most fun at the right price point based on the current opportunities. For example, in 2008, at the end of my lease on a A6 2.7T, I went in thinking S4, drove out in a VW R32 as they were piling up on the dealer lot and the leases were a blowout. Right now, I am also eyeing the Cadillac ATS-V. Phenomenal car that has bombed in the marketplace - Cadillac dealers are pushing them out the door…

Now that you have your Bimmer, consider joining the BMW Car Club of America. I have been a member since 1998 and the discounts, support, events and Roundel are well worth the investment.

Happy Motoring
Eric

Last edited by eric strauss; 12-11-2016 at 06:01 AM.