Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Creaking noise from rear suspension

Old 11-23-2013, 10:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creaking noise from rear suspension

My A5 is about 2 months old with 1700 miles on it. Lately I noticed that every time I turn onto my driveway there is a creaking noise coming from the rear passenger side tire area. My driveway is raised from the main road. The noise only happens when the right rear tire gets onto the driveway at an angle. The suspension is quite during regular driving. Any thoughts?
Old 11-23-2013, 10:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by j3500
My A5 is about 2 months old with 1700 miles on it. Lately I noticed that every time I turn onto my driveway there is a creaking noise coming from the rear passenger side tire area. My driveway is raised from the main road. The noise only happens when the right rear tire gets onto the driveway at an angle. The suspension is quite during regular driving. Any thoughts?
I meant quiet on regular driving..can't type apparently
Old 11-25-2013, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had the same problem, both from the front and rear. Dealer said it was just new and it will disappear on its own. It did for a while, now it happens once in a while.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bebl
I had the same problem, both from the front and rear. Dealer said it was just new and it will disappear on its own. It did for a while, now it happens once in a while.
That's good to know! Makes me feel better. I thought my struts were possibly going bad. The dealer will be checking it out anyway.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by j3500
That's good to know! Makes me feel better. I thought my struts were possibly going bad. The dealer will be checking it out anyway.
My 2014 RS5 creaks a little going into the driveway at an angle. My 2013 S4 creaked REALLY loudly doing the same. Coincidence, I think not.

Bottom line is that nothing is wrong with the car functionally, and unless it is overly intrusive, your best bet is to just ignore it.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MichaelB_1969
My 2014 RS5 creaks a little going into the driveway at an angle. My 2013 S4 creaked REALLY loudly doing the same. Coincidence, I think not.

Bottom line is that nothing is wrong with the car functionally, and unless it is overly intrusive, your best bet is to just ignore it.
The dealer took a look at it to be safe. Said the noise is coming from the bump stops on the trunk under the twisting motion of the vehicle. They said they lubricated the bump stop and added felt to the area.

Brought the car home and the noise is still there LOL. Going to ignore it as its not a problem with the suspension system.

As far as I know, bump stops are usually only on the shock absorbers. Didn't know there were bump stops for the trunk :/
Old 03-26-2014, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default RS5 Noise in Suspension

I had the same noise on the day I got delivery. Turns out it was a rubber part of the suspension that popped out. I took it in and the guys moved the rubber back in place. After that they had to drive it to pop it back into place with car's own force and the problem seems to be gone. I only have 270 km on the car.

Just picked it up 2 days ago with Sepang Blue on white. Man the kinda attention you get on the street and in the dealership. I didn't have an appointment but because it was a RS5, all the mechanics were gathered around asking for help.....lol
Old 03-26-2014, 04:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Are most of the RS5 s you speak of Cabs or Coupes? I just traded in a 2011 S5 Coupe for a 2014 RS5 Coupe and have never heard any creaking sounds. The S5 was rock solid and as for the RS5, I have yet to see. Could it be Cab flex that you are hearing. I test drove the RS5 Cab and I did notice some creaking.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Got it, too

Originally Posted by Misrdrs5
Are most of the RS5 s you speak of Cabs or Coupes? I just traded in a 2011 S5 Coupe for a 2014 RS5 Coupe and have never heard any creaking sounds. The S5 was rock solid and as for the RS5, I have yet to see. Could it be Cab flex that you are hearing. I test drove the RS5 Cab and I did notice some creaking.
Got my 2014 cab yesterday and it creaks. Had an 11 coupe never heard it. Same driveway, same daily route. Let's see if it disappears or I stop noticing it.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My 2011 A5 cab had a creak in the top support joint by my left ear that disappeared when the weather got warm or after a little silicon spray. But with the top down on a sunny day and the B&O turned up, the pure enjoyment of the cab more than made up for it. Best car I ever owned...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Creaking noise from rear suspension