Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Headlights Aimed Low ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Headlights Aimed Low ?

Have only been out a few times now at night .
It seems like the head lights are aimed too low ?

When I start it up in the garage , it goes through its self headlights check, but driving at night I feel like I could over drive the low beam headlight aim easy, even the driving lights aren't much help for right in front either ?

Anybody else notice this or is this just common with them ?

Our old 11 Mini Cooper with the standard headlights (non projector) was so much better aimed and even with the driving lights on it really lit up the first several feet out front.

This being a 14 model , we were parked next to a family members 16 Lexus E350 facing a building wall approx 12 feet away. We both started our cars up , the Lexus headlights were night and day difference in how bright they were.
I know we were sitting about 1-2 inchs lower, at least that's what the roof tops looked like anyways. But our headlights were aimed so much lower than the Lexus were and not even close to being as bright?
Old 12-20-2016, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with you on this. I had a Lexus GS before I traded to my A5 cab. The headlights are terrible on this car. They are extremely low. So much that you need to be very cautious at night on bends. They completely miss the road at times. My GS was like stadium lighting coming down the road. You saw everything perfectly and the lights followed through in bends. I just had my fog lights pulled and added HID lamps. They help a bit, but still poor design on Audi's part.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Apparently us being noobs and with 123 looky loos and counting this must be either a common thing or nobody wants to say a negative comment after the bucks they forked over for these vehicles ???

Heck years ago 2008 I was driving my 92 2x4 GMC pickup down this mountain road at night and a BMW came up behind me I could actually see better with the BMW's headlights path that shot past me. Yes he was on low beam too, I pulled over and let him pass then kept up with him I was just in awe on how bright his light path was.
A few times he hit high beams and the whole area lit up like a stadium.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Have them aimed/adjusted higher. Check them on your garage door.

Originally Posted by OFDPOS
Have only been out a few times now at night .
It seems like the head lights are aimed too low ?

When I start it up in the garage , it goes through its self headlights check, but driving at night I feel like I could over drive the low beam headlight aim easy, even the driving lights aren't much help for right in front either ?

Anybody else notice this or is this just common with them ?

Our old 11 Mini Cooper with the standard headlights (non projector) was so much better aimed and even with the driving lights on it really lit up the first several feet out front.

This being a 14 model , we were parked next to a family members 16 Lexus E350 facing a building wall approx 12 feet away. We both started our cars up , the Lexus headlights were night and day difference in how bright they were.
I know we were sitting about 1-2 inchs lower, at least that's what the roof tops looked like anyways. But our headlights were aimed so much lower than the Lexus were and not even close to being as bright?
They can be adjusted.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
They can be adjusted.
Read on another site about adjusting them manually , then next time start up and they go through the self check it will throw a code ??
Do you know if that's true ?

The wife drives it , so today when she got home and parked in the garage.
I went out a few minutes later and smelled oil , I pulled the eng plastic cover off and noticed the intake/valve cover gasket was wet about 3/4 the way back from the oil fill cap.
Thinking maybe last time the oil was changed somebody was sloppy and missed the whole abit, got to looking closer and its weeping on the other side as well, not just at the gasket area but actually run down the side of the head abit .

I'm going to take it in and show them the oil leak and while there inquire about the headlight aim...
Old 12-21-2016, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Don't know; didn't throw code on C5.

Originally Posted by OFDPOS
Read on another site about adjusting them manually , then next time start up and they go through the self check it will throw a code ??
Do you know if that's true ?

The wife drives it , so today when she got home and parked in the garage.
I went out a few minutes later and smelled oil , I pulled the eng plastic cover off and noticed the intake/valve cover gasket was wet about 3/4 the way back from the oil fill cap.
Thinking maybe last time the oil was changed somebody was sloppy and missed the whole abit, got to looking closer and its weeping on the other side as well, not just at the gasket area but actually run down the side of the head abit .

I'm going to take it in and show them the oil leak and while there inquire about the headlight aim...
But yes, since your car is likely still under warranty, best to take it in for the oil leak and headlight adjustment.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Since you are under warranty, a trip to the dealer pointing towards your oil leak and the headlight malfunction seems prudent. FWIW, my DD is a 2014 RS7. In the evening, the car looks like a searchlight when on low beam, much less high beam. I have driven Audi's since 1996, your experience seems unusual, IMHO.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I adjusted the headlights on my A7 - no codes.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

I've adjusted the headlights on my A3 without any codes.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
But yes, since your car is likely still under warranty, best to take it in for the oil leak and headlight adjustment.
Its a CPO so wonder why it wasn't taken care of while it was supposedly being certified. This isn't fresh oil , you can tell its been there awhile.

Thanks for the other comments about adjusting and no codes...