Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Ordering a RS5 Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS4 cab vs. RS5 cab

I am contemplating swapping from the RS4 cab to the RS5. I have two problems with the trade. One is the loss of the manual (and a great manual box too). But I think the car itself would be so much more in every other area that it would probably make up for it.
Ours is Imola yellow, which we love. I am thinking of repeating that color. How do you think the color would do on the RS5?
Old 07-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JMSIV
I am contemplating swapping from the RS4 cab to the RS5. I have two problems with the trade. One is the loss of the manual (and a great manual box too). But I think the car itself would be so much more in every other area that it would probably make up for it.
Ours is Imola yellow, which we love. I am thinking of repeating that color. How do you think the color would do on the RS5?
Both are great cars, and I understand your feelings about the gearbox. I drove manual always, until 3,5 years ago I got my first S-tronic (S5 cabrio, no manual option....) and I really had to get used to it. It was ok, but needed to drive in Manual most of the time, while the box had its own mind.

The S-tronic in the RS5 is in a different league however: faster, more sporty, and Manual is really manual (so no up/downshifting when you don't want to, like in the S5....).

Still the Auto mode is not what I like (dynamic is too high rev, so too many sound, amd Auto/Comfort is too lov rev, so no torque anymore....) so I drive in Manual 90% of the time, and that is geat (fast shifting, exhaust noise when shifting, good control, etc)

Please test drive it, drive in auto, but also in Manual as if it is a Manual car, and I am sure you will enjoy it!

About the color: that is very personal. I think it looks great on the RS4, but it might also on the RS5. Here we have some larg e dealers that have a Exclusive configurator, so you can see the right color on the right model in full screen, very nice!
Old 07-21-2013, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

A few comments:

I haven't driven an RS4 Cabriolet so I can't compare it to the RS5 Cab, but there are a bunch of folks who have made the RS4 ==> RS5 switch and seem pretty happy about it. You can view a thread on the topic at http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-RS4-vs-B8-RS5. I would venture to guess that you're getting a larger and heavier car with more power and advanced technology, so you have to weigh that tradeoff. I'd assume that if -- like me -- you're driving a cabriolet prior to getting an RS5 Cab, you've already made the determination that the extra weight and cost and reduced rigidity of a convertible is worth it for the open-air experience.

The comment about the RS5 S-Tronic Manual mode being "really manual" isn't quite accurate. First of all, it will downshift automatically when the engine speed gets too low, to prevent the engine from lugging or stalling. It is true that it will never upshift automatically; if you keep on the throttle and don't upshift, you'll eventually bounce off the rev limiter. More generally, the S-Tronic feels very different from a conventional manual, due to the mechanics of the dual clutch system. I say this as someone who's coming to an RS5 from a BMW E46 M3 with the SMG transmission, which is mechanically a manual transmission but without a clutch pedal. In this case, my opinion is that S-Tronic is an improvement, in that in most cases it shifts much more smoothly and quickly in both automatic and manual mode, but clearly if your goal is to have a clutch pedal you will be at a loss.

Regarding color, if you're in the U.S., you're probably out of luck if you want Imola Yellow. See http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...Colors-Updated! for the section of the 2014 Order Guide that explains the exclusive color guidelines and choices. There is Tukan (Toucan) Yellow, but I don't know how it compares to Imola Yellow.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by wieRS5
Also very noteable is that the car is more rigid/stiff than a A5/S5 cabrio (less riddle).
Thank you for your posts. I am getting ready to pull the trigger on either the coupe or the cabrio.
Curious to know after some more time, do you still feel the RS5 cabrio structure is more rigid/stiff than the A5/S5 cabrios?
Old 06-04-2014, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TOSurge
Thank you for your posts. I am getting ready to pull the trigger on either the coupe or the cabrio.
Curious to know after some more time, do you still feel the RS5 cabrio structure is more rigid/stiff than the A5/S5 cabrios?
I've had my RS5 cabriolet for nearly a year, but I have minimal seat time in the A5/S5 cabs so I can't compare. The RS5 cab does weigh slightly more (110 lbs) than the S5 cab but I don't know if you'd notice the difference in feel as a result of this.

As a dedicated convertible guy, however, I would offer the following opinion: If you're deciding between the coupe and convertible versions of any given model, get the coupe. The coupe will always be significantly lighter and more rigid, with a host of associated performance and handling benefits, and it will cost significantly less. It's only worth getting a convertible if you're a convertible person and the thrill of top-down driving outweighs the other disadvantages. If this is the case, then buying a couple wouldn't be a serious alternative.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had a Porsche Boxster, which I absolutely loved, in large part because it was a convertible. But it was also very rigid with no cowl shake or vibration. Curious if the RS5 Cabrio exhibits any cowl shake/etc., after a year of ownership?
Thanks
Old 06-05-2014, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mine feels solid after 8000 miles, certainly compared to the E46 M3 convertible I owned previously (which was 11 years old by the time I replaced it with the RS5). With the top up, going 80 in the RS5 feels like 50 in a regular car.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TOSurge
Have my car almost a year now, more then 30K km, and it still feels more rigid then my previous S5 cabrio. Of course, as written before, the coupe is even more rigid, but if you like open driving, you will enjoy it!

Compared to the Boxster and the V8 Vantage Roadster: there are even more rigid open cars (mainly due to the lesser weight, better weight balance front/back but most important: much shorter wheelbase).