Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

S5 (or RS5), or TTS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Default S5 (or RS5), or TTS?

Thanks in advance for indulging me. I am trying to chose my mid-life-crisis path. With several screenagers in the house, *I* feel we need an extra vehicle. We have a 2015 Q7 TDI (mine?). And, a 2011 A4 Avant (wife's?) - at about 40k miles (which I wouldn't get much for). Not wanting to get an unreliable/clunker/Subaru... I am considering relegating the Avant as the "extra car for the kids"... and choosing of the following slippery slopes:

A) 2014 Audi S5 CPO $41k (~21k miles)
B) 2017 Audi S5 $62k (new)
C) 2015 Audi RS5 $62k (~16k miles)
D) 2017 Audi TTS $58k (new)
E) 2013-2015 Fiat 500e $9k-$10k (10-20k miles)
F) pay off house/add to college funds/blah, blah...

The A) S5 CPO is white w/ black optic, sport differential and alacantra... good so far. But low spec MMI, no nav or backup camera. I could make it a "project" and install a camera... but. I loved the test drive.

The B) new S5 would be spec'd perfect. High depreciation gets me the white/black optics/carbon trim I like, sports diff, and preferred 5-spoke titanium wheels. It would be swell. But I'd likely have to ship it from CA to OR to avoid state taxes. I am kind of hoping this outgoing model will come with some incentives.

A local non Audi dealer has the C) RS5. Right color, w/ black optics.... Nav/camera... but (non preferred) BLACK 5-spoke wheels. Better even-pulling 4.2 engine, but worse gas mileage. Great looks.

Here's where it gets interesting. At my dealer. The D) TTS gets you into a fun run around w/ perfect, if not overloaded, specs. (Technology, back optics, Napa leather, red calipers, B&O). I will forgo the sex change... and this can be an olive branch to my wife as we can pitch it as "her car". Maybe she will let me borrow it on my twice month commute to the airport. I must say I haven't been especially fond of Audi's new design direction with the B9 era... which is why I rushed to get the last old model q7 (right before dieselgate, but I digress), but I worry the mk3 TTS won't age as well as the stunning mk1 S5.

The electric car. It's probably all that I need. It is the reason I started car shopping, and got distracted by Audi. The kids can get themselves around town to their high school activities, at $9k it's pretty much a throwaway. Batteries expensive when needed to be replaced. It is cute (ish).... would be terrible in the winter snow and rain. I could even make an argument to say it's not the safest car for my kids to be driving.

I am in the wrong for forum to discuss F. None of you would send me that way. (I should probably sign up with a therapist. Might be cheaper.)

So... As somebody who basically needs an "autobahn car" - getting back and forth to the airport (smooth, zero traffic ride that takes 60mins) - I am looking for the quietest smoothest ride (and I won't spring for an A6/S6/A7/S7, etc).

S5 (or RS5), or TTS?

If anyone has direct inside cabin quietness knowledge or comparisons, this is probably my only real question.

I must say I am impressed with Audi's move to a smaller engines with similar power... and buying a 4.2 L engine at this stage in our history seems moving in the wrong direction. Especially given that my main criteria of when to select a new car is to get improving gas mileage (hence the move from a Minivan to the Q7 TDI). But... Since my 2003 A4 Avant 1.8T, and now with a A4 2.0T and Q7 3.0 TDI, I seem to be frozen at around 29 mpg on HWY. That said, I am intrigued with the 3.0 S5 supercharged engine, since the TTS 2.0 might feel too much like the turbo lag/hesitation off the line Tiptronic 2.0T, which I already know in the Avant.

I see TT(S) fanatics on the forum, and S5 fanatics... but I haven't figured out who wins that battle for the autobahn slayer, and a perhaps more practical car.

Last edited by BlackOptic; 11-24-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well, an extra car will certainly be fun...

… having come through the purgatory of a house full of teenagers that are now out in the world - I hear your plight. To me, it would come down to the type of driving that I wanted to do.

If you are committed to the track or aggressive weekend driving in the canyons/mountains, etc., you might make the case for the RS5. It would be fun. However the operating costs are crushing and not worth it if you are not using the capability. I just came back from a 100 mile canyon run to clear the head before Thanksgiving and am reminded why I tolerate the horrific gas mileage, new tires every 7-8K miles, rotors and pads at 15K intervals, etc.

Otherwise, you really can't go wrong with the other picks (well - I am not real happy with Fiat or FCA as they are hosing their dealers by putting so much cash on the hood. It will spell the end of Chrysler and likely Dodge - Fiat will retreat from the ashes back to home base). Personally, I have always acquired cars new through leases (nine Audi's so far) as it protects me against unexpected costs and depreciation. CPO is a good choice as well.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

If quiet cabin is your criteria, then the RS5 is not it. Between the engine, exhaust and road noise from the fat tires, sound is part of the experience. Having said that, on smooth pavement and with the revs low plus car in comfort mode I love doing road trips in this thing and wake it up the moment I come upon a fun road.

Your other options are all quieter, but not as raw. I agree with Eric, it comes down to what kind of driving you plan to do. If you don't regularly wring out an RS5, then it's not worth it.

I would say best is to drive them all and decide for yourself. I have two friends who have/had the 500e. One had major problems and dealer ended up buying it back. The other friend's one seems to be holding up as a commuter car.

The TT/TTS are fun little cars. A friend and I took one out for a day trip. Not much room to put stuff, so this would be purely a weekend/fun car.

Personally I'm a big fan of GT coupes, hence the RS5. It's the best combination of fun and practicality for a couple with no kids.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hey Superswiss - happy thanksgiving and a question...

I am ready for yet another set of rotors and pads (all four corners) for the RS5. ECS has put their full-floating Tru-Float rotors on sale and they work out to be LESS than OEM. How has your experience been with them??? They do certainly look beautiful as the hats are a work of techno-art. Pad choice - no real time on the track but lots of long runs in the canyons and I hate the dust (but I understand the sacrificial surface argument)??

Thanks

Eric

Originally Posted by superswiss
If quiet cabin is your criteria, then the RS5 is not it. Between the engine, exhaust and road noise from the fat tires, sound is part of the experience. Having said that, on smooth pavement and with the revs low plus car in comfort mode I love doing road trips in this thing and wake it up the moment I come upon a fun road.

Your other options are all quieter, but not as raw. I agree with Eric, it comes down to what kind of driving you plan to do. If you don't regularly wring out an RS5, then it's not worth it.

I would say best is to drive them all and decide for yourself. I have two friends who have/had the 500e. One had major problems and dealer ended up buying it back. The other friend's one seems to be holding up as a commuter car.

The TT/TTS are fun little cars. A friend and I took one out for a day trip. Not much room to put stuff, so this would be purely a weekend/fun car.

Personally I'm a big fan of GT coupes, hence the RS5. It's the best combination of fun and practicality for a couple with no kids.
Old 11-24-2016, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
I agree with Eric, it comes down to what kind of driving you plan to do. If you don't regularly wring out an RS5, then it's not worth it.
Yes, I should have added that. I must admit I don't often go seek a "drive" just for the hell of it. No Canyon Runs for me. I used to think vehicles were only needed to move from A to B, with myself and toys (Mtn bikes, road bikes, windsurfing gear) around. But starting in '03 with the A4 I began to appreciate the finer rides in life. But with an Avant and Q7 and now Kiteboarding (less space requirements) more space isn't needed. Just a comfy yet enjoyable ride.

So, no canyon runs. Mostly Pacific Northwest Autobahn-ing. In sometime torrential raining interstates. All I need is space for me and the roll aboard bag.

I've always enjoyed your insight (Superswiss and Eric)... But I wonder what Tailwagger, Huey52 and our TT brethren would say.

Last edited by BlackOptic; 11-24-2016 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by eric strauss
I am ready for yet another set of rotors and pads (all four corners) for the RS5. ECS has put their full-floating Tru-Float rotors on sale and they work out to be LESS than OEM. How has your experience been with them??? They do certainly look beautiful as the hats are a work of techno-art. Pad choice - no real time on the track but lots of long runs in the canyons and I hate the dust (but I understand the sacrificial surface argument)??

Thanks

Eric
The experience has been great. It's a nice improvement over the OEM setup. I like the Hawk pads. They don't dust as much as the OEM pads and the dust is a light brown instead of black, so the wheels look cleaner much longer. My front pads are coming up for replacement soon. I think I'm gonna try the Hawk 5.0 next. They're supposed to be a notch up from the current ones. What I have now is an all-around improvement. Much easier to modulate the brakes in every day driving and in the canyon and the response is more consistent and linear. Better stopping in the rain, too.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

What about waiting for the 2018 S5 and comparing it to the rest of your options? That would seem to make more sense than buying a 2017, which will be replaced by the B9 in six months.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JD15
What about waiting for the 2018 S5 and comparing it to the rest of your options? That would seem to make more sense than buying a 2017, which will be replaced by the B9 in six months.
I am interested in seeing the B9 cars. But, like I said, I am not too much of a fan of the new B9 A4, Q5, Q7 etc design aesthetic. Yes, I see some good 'refinement'... especially on the interiors... but as several others also stated, I think this time around Audi has moved to a same-y same-y less stand out fleet of cars. I am not a fan of the lower/wider/more angular grille.

Also, like my recent "end of run" Mk1 Q7 purchase, I wonder about getting discounts for an outgoing model S5. Although the good ones are getting sparse.

I guess I could be patient for a CPO S5 with 15-20k miles and the options I want.

BTW, one niggle I have with purchasing new Audi cars is constantly having to take off the "summer" tires. Usually the "upgrade" rims don't accommodate the "all weather tire" option (i.e. the S5 has an all weather tire option, but only for 18")... And the dealer gives you, what, 33% of the value of new tire traded in at purchase as a credit for the tires I need (up here in the PNW). I am beginning to amass an attic full of unused Summer tires. (I run All Weather 75% of the year, and real Snow Tires on 2nd rims for the other 25%). Maybe I'll figure out AudiWorld's Classified section and finally get rid of the PZero's to some track-racer dude.

Last edited by BlackOptic; 11-25-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-25-2016, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I had a 2011 A5 and just loved the exterior styling and typical Audi high end interior refinements. Also the all-day grand touring capability. Alas I was one of the very few who just happened to get a problematic one so moved on to an allroad which I also enjoyed very much. The allroad was one of the most comfortable and "planted" vehicles I've ever owned.

Then I had a mid-life crisis .... well, ok, a latter life. I had wanted a TT MkI when introduced but other family requirements at the time distracted me. So when the TT/TTS MkIII for the US was announced I ordered one the first day I could in June 2015.

The TTS has been everything I expected. Very capable performance in all regimes and fairly practical logistically for a sportscar. Fun from the time the pneumatic seats hug me at startup to when it gets put to well deserved rest at night. I do more byway than highway driving these days and that's where it really shines. I have had zero issues with mine, although some have had seat trim anomalies (I suspect resultant of vendor value engineering, but the current TSB should rectify). The TTS also has a fairly small footprint in the garage compared to A5, allroad and a Q5 loaner I had for a couple weeks. None of these huge cars of course but I've appreciated this form-fit factor none the less.

However, putting aside this itch that had to be scratched and my present overall downsizing mindset if I were the author I would go for a tasty S5. I'm likely biased, but I think the first gen styling was perfect and didn't need the subsequent (2x) freshening. And I've come 'round to forced induction as a force multiplier as it were, even if the original V8 had a great naturally aspirated sound. Still the present S5 is a thoroughly elegant vehicle in styling and engineering performance.

Although they have their place I think the TTRS and RS5 are overkill for public roads. I can barely use my TTS so the RS would be wasted.

Just my two cents and hope it helps. Of course you can't go wrong either way so a nice problem to have.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by a4avant-ti
I've always enjoyed your insight (Superswiss and Eric)... But I wonder what Tailwagger, Huey52 and our TT brethren would say.
My tenure with the TTS is a mere hundred and fifty miles and as these things are rather personal, I won't offer too strong an opinion one way or the other. As I've mentioned elsewhere, my biggest concern about the TTS going in, likely relevant here, is that they chose to shorten the gearing over its R/S3 brethren. That would have been terrific had they bestowed a seventh cog upon it, but as we know, so far, they haven't. Given the drivetrain is cranking at something around 3k rpm when at the low end of brisk highway speeds, I would suggest, despite a personal lack of long distance experience in the car, that likely for most buyers its a bit too busy to fully assume the role of executive express.

I do believe all the grousing about ride quality to be overdone and find the TTS's suspension to be well judged given its target audience, at least on the 19s. After the first 10 miles of playing around, I put the car in dynamic and so far have just left it there. But its undeniable that the shorter 98" wheelbase will always be less comfy than its larger GT brethren. And for reference, I need to note that my opinion is informed by having come to the TTS from an AMG, not an Avant. The payoff for the TTS's diminutive size and weight, of course, is a level of liveness and agility that its more substantial relatives may simulate, but not match. I was out on 20 mile old, still quite green, undersized (225/45) snow tires in this morning's cold drizzle and was rather non-plussed by how the grip and cornering levels at normal pace were utterly unaffected despite a few modest attempts at inducing otherwise. The reserves are vast. These are traits I value above most others and I'm happy to compromise numerous other aspects in service of it, but there's little doubt that its not a common recipe for happiness.

I do admire those who own high HP, turbo 6/8 cylinder models for their levels of self confidence and/or restraint. Personally, I'm incapable of being paired with such levels of potency in a road car, as invariably, over time, I will use it. I shopped the S4 a few years ago and found that even on a test drive I couldn't do less than 80 on the highway without an elevated frustration level. In that regard the TTS shorter gears keep a lot of that 'lets go a lot faster than deemed prudent by law enforcement' at bay and serves to help retain my good standing with the local constabulary. Assuming you've spent your years acquiring the appropriate levels of maturity as opposed to mine, misspent in the pursuit of hooniganism, I'd suggest that indeed the S/RS/5 path is likely the more appropriate one. Though perhaps the '17 S3 might provide a middle ground. If it has to be a coupe, you could always weld the rear doors shut.

Conclusion? Don't be so damn predictable; buy the TTS!

Quick Reply: S5 (or RS5), or TTS?