Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Frankford, Ontario, Canada. 08 R8TT, 08 A5, 90 TT 300ZX, Ducati TT2
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some good advice there like checking tire pressure first thing in the morning.
An old rule of thumb which a lot of us used at the track for our motorcycles was if the tire pressure rose by more then 3psi after a good run on the track, then the cold tire pressure was too low to begin with. I like to think that same sort of process can be applied to performance car tires.
Then there's the opposite scenario for people like myself who experience severe cold weather conditions. In these cases, some of us experience drastic tire pressure drop over night when the temps go to -20C to -30C. This is when we have to be even more vigilant about tire pressures because in those conditions, the cold tire pressure can drop as much as 5psi to 7psi quite easily.
And I won't even mention the time I spent in Cold lake Alberta where the temps would drop to well over -45C with the wind chill. It's a very strange feeling driving on tires where all 4 have a flat spot in them because it got so cold, the steel belts within would literally freeze hard. One would initially have to drive very slowly while experiencing that womp womp womp feeling/sound until enough heat built up within the tires to return them to normal shape.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default For all weather are the continentals the best bet?

probably want a M/S next time so I could take the car to Lake Tahoe
Old 01-20-2017, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by oskidunker
probably want a M/S next time so I could take the car to Lake Tahoe
As far as performance all-season tires are concerned the Conti DWS06 seems to be the leader. But even the best all-season is not really a snow tire. The DWS only maintains snow traction up to a certain tread wear. It has the letters D (dry), W (wet), S (snow) molded into the tread. Ones the S is worn, then it doesn't have enough snow traction anymore and once the W is worn, it doesn't have enough wet traction anymore, so basically the wet and snow capabilities are not maintained over the entire lifetime of the tire.

An alternative is the Nokian WRG3. That's an all-weather tire, not all-season tire. They are much better in the wet and snow than an all-season tire, but not sure how they compare to the DWS in the dry. They may not be as performant, so it all depends on what you are looking for in a tire.

https://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-wrg3/
Old 01-21-2017, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

It may be best for the OP to read up on the differences between All-Weather and All-Seasin tires because there is a difference.
Many make the mistake that because they're city dwellers they can get away with an All season tire year round and have reliable summer and winter traction in all weather conditions. A popular misconception.
I use a top tier Conti for my summer wheels and currently use Blizzaks on my winter wheels on my A5. On my A4, I used Gislaved tires on winter wheels for 7 winter seasons. One of the best winter tires I've ever used.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I've got the WR G3 for winter tires for our Avant. They're going to be far better than the DWS. You're supposed to be able to drive on them year-round. We got so little snow last winter that I can't really say much about them.

Name:  DSC_0027_1_zps12b4881b.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  134.6 KB
Old 01-21-2017, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks again for the info

I have used All season M/s for years on my A6's and they worked good. I live in San francisco Bay area. There is no snow here in the winter. I go to Lake Tahoe a few times a year. Buying All weather (snow tires) would mean I have to change tires every time I go there as I would not want to drive around the Bay area with snow tires.I have a place in Tahoe, so I usually wont go if conditions are really bad.I imagine I could get caught if conditions are very bad but that has never been the case.

The information is interesting. Looking at the tire rack it looks Like the Michelin tires are a little quieter than the Continentals They are out of the Conti's so not sure if that tire is still being made.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just to be clear, there's 4 types of tires.
Summer Tires
Winter Tires
All Season Tires
All Weather tires
Each type have their own unique design and rubber compound. Each has their optimum temperature ratings where they would deliver their best (and worst) performance.

oskidunker - In your case, it seems you're looking for either an All Season or an All Weather tire. I would suggest reading up on the differences between the two to determine which best suits your needs.