Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Tracking Your Audi from Germany (At least to Rhode Island)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Am I doing something wrong? Port loaded 8/6, but I don't see any such date in the PDF
Old 07-30-2013, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark P
Am I doing something wrong? Port loaded 8/6, but I don't see any such date in the PDF
The one I'm seeing is for July departures from Emden. The August load pdf should be available soon. Also, where is your dealer located? That will determine which port destination to line up for the correct roro carrier ship to track on the marine tracker website. Also, be aware that once you ID your ship and it gets outside of the tracking area from Emden, you won't see it again until it gets in range of the tracking area in North America.

http://www.pwl.de/static/schedules/vwl_hb.pdf

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/def...spx?level0=100
Old 07-31-2013, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by snagitseven
The one I'm seeing is for July departures from Emden. The August load pdf should be available soon. Also, where is your dealer located? That will determine which port destination to line up for the correct roro carrier ship to track on the marine tracker website. Also, be aware that once you ID your ship and it gets outside of the tracking area from Emden, you won't see it again until it gets in range of the tracking area in North America.

http://www.pwl.de/static/schedules/vwl_hb.pdf

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/def...spx?level0=100
Ok thanks. My dealer is Raleigh, NC so I assume Brunswick, GA port.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark P
Ok thanks. My dealer is Raleigh, NC so I assume Brunswick, GA port.
Mark, it probably will be Brunswick. A couple of other things to note... Once your ship lands at the port (you'll can actually see it docking on the AFIS map), it gets unloaded almost immediately. At that point, you (and your dealer) will lose track of it's progress. Next, it has to go through customs, inspection, port installed accessories, minor repairs if needed (hopefully not) and moroni labels installed. Once the port handler gets the invoice from AOA (interestingly, mine came from the Audi Canada office), it will be assigned to a ground carrier, loaded and on it's way to the dealer. The port process usually takes about a week but can take longer if repairs or scheduling holds it up. Not sure if yours will come from the port by truck or train then truck but that can take another one day to a week. Your dealer usually doesn't get much, if any, advance notice of the delivery. Finally, a few hours to a day for the dealer to prep the car for delivery (remove suspension blocks, take off transport coverings, etc.).

The cool part is tracking the ship from Emden to Brunswick. Once you've identified it as yours, if you zoom in to the ship on the Marine Traffic map (when visible within range of the AFIS system), you can actually see it moving every few minutes. (Exasperating if you see the ship sailing in circles near the arrival port for awhile as mine did). Great fun. Not as much fun as getting the car though.
Good luck!

Here's some shots I took at the Davisville, RI port. I would imagine Brunswick is very similar.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...8053&styleid=6

Last edited by snagitseven; 07-31-2013 at 06:03 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Cool thanks. Yes, I replied previously in that thread
Old 07-31-2013, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is VERY cool! If I'm right, my Q5 is on the "Bangkok Highway" and currently sailing at 17 knots through the English Channel.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is on the Bangkok Highway too! Scheduled to be in Brunswick on the 12th of August.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

The August schedule hasn't been posted yet, but my RS5 is scheduled to be loaded today, destined for Toronto via Halifax. Looking at the Emden port map on http://www.marinetraffic.com, I see there is one vessel moored at, what appears to be the Emden Autoport destined to Halifax, "SEVEN SEAS HIGHWAY".

So we'll see if my theory is right after they publish the updated schedule
Old 08-20-2013, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by cha777
7. The ships can get delayed. Cougar Ace got delayed at Zeebruge and Halifax for a total of 3 days. Many of the RO-RO carries are owned by either Wallenius-Wilhelmsen, Hoegh Lines, or Mitsui OSK lines to name a few. WW lets you track by VIN number so you can actually track your car by VIN for free. The Cougar Ace is owned by Mitsui OSK which does not allow public VIN tracking, but if you know which ship you are on, you can track the schedule here.
Where do I go to confirm my VIN is onboard?

Last edited by Mark P; 08-20-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:54 AM
bkw
AudiWorld Senior Member

hey Mark!

Whatcha get?

Quick Reply: Tracking Your Audi from Germany (At least to Rhode Island)