Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Upgrading the Bang & Olufsen Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: There are costs/budgets that limit how well the systems can be engineered. Reflected in quality

You're correct, it is a previous model year speaker but I wanted to give it a try based on what Ive read out there. I've read a lot of good reviews about the 8IB4 on the BMW forums. They have a current kit for the 3 series that uses two 8IB4s and people seem to really like it. I also heard good things about the Image Dynamics subwoofers but I don't have any experience with them. You can still get the IB4's on eBay and they are rated at the same ohm rating as the factory B&O (8)

Here is a link to Crutchfield with a few more options and Ive heard that Soundstream has some IB compatible drivers also. Definitely many good choices out there.<ul><li><a href="http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3NnvszHTOB1/App/Product/Group/ProductMenu.aspx?g=520&amp;tp=111&amp;nvpair=AG_Ge neral%7cFFFree_Air&amp;nvpair=FFSize%7c%5brank3%5d 10%22">Crutchfield Search of Free Air Subwoofers</a></li></ul>
Old 03-30-2008, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you think this is safe?
Old 03-30-2008, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorry, I dont know much about car audio....

so you can just fit that JL sub (pictured) in place of the stock subs?

how difficult is the job? is there any chance of creating a rattle spot if not done carefully? does many parts have to come off to install them?
Old 03-30-2008, 10:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Quattrings - THANKS! It is one modification I am planning to do as...

I have also always upgraded my sound systems. I did a full component/headunit/amp/sub in my B7 A4, but less than willing to take apart my new A5, due to the MMI.. I also wish to avoid unwanted rattles.

Hence I went with the B&amp;O. I am glad to know the sub can be upgraded alone, improving the quality of the bass without necessarily hooking up a mono amp.

I will link to your post, and when I get my car, will give the forums the details of my own work.

Your projects are very inspiring, always a pleasure to read you on these boards.

Regards,
Old 03-31-2008, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Is that you Nigel?
Old 03-31-2008, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Upgrading the Bang & Olufsen Subwoofer

Will this a plug and play swap. ?

Jarod.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The removal of the factory subwoofer is tricky. Care needs to be taken to remove

the factory speaker grills from the rear deck. The OEM 8" sub has 3 screws that are only accessible through the grill. Once the three screws are removed in addition to the other two, the deck can be proped up to remove the OEM sub from the car. I used to run a couple of Autosound shops years back and would mention that one should be comfortable with removing the components and parts of the interior before attempting. The grills are relatively fragile and can be snapped in two if not patient and without using the proper panel tools.

I used a lot of dynamat extreme to drastically reduce rattle chances on the rear deck but a high-end 10" subwoofer has the potential to move a lot of air and in a free air environment could cause a rattle at the rear license plate, etc. Also the rear deck is not fully sealed from the factory. There are multiple holes and even large rectangle openings that should be sealed off for the potential for best sound.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks Heyrenzo
Old 03-31-2008, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I created a harness that has the spades for plugging into the factory wiring. I didn't want to

cut any wiring on the install. I will take closeups once I get the 2nd subwoofer installed for evaluation.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Went to my local car audio place

They suggested going with a Pioneer unit that is super low profile.. Like 3"

Quick Reply: Upgrading the Bang & Olufsen Subwoofer