Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Water going into trunk when opening trunk

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water going into trunk when opening trunk

Seems to be at the end closes to opening. I wonder if the gasket is bad. Not experienced this with other cars.. Anyone experiencing this?
Old 01-08-2017, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by oskidunker
Seems to be at the end closes to opening. I wonder if the gasket is bad. Not experienced this with other cars.. Anyone experiencing this?
Unfortunately, this is a design flaw of the 5 along with water pooling in the sunroof gaps and then running into the interior on the next turn if you have the window open. If you open the trunk lid too fast, the water runs down the rear window too fast and ends up in the trunk instead of the gap in front off the gasket. I think it has to do with how the trunk opens in the 5. It's high up over the rear window when fully open. Most other cars hinge the lid much closer. Whenever I have water on the trunk, I open it partially first to let off some of the water before open it fully and also do it slowly. That seems to do the trick. It's one of those things you just have to live with. Since it only rains for a few months here during the winter, it's not a big deal for me, but the same happens after washing the car and then opening the trunk.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-08-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Frankford, Ontario, Canada. 08 R8TT, 08 A5, 90 TT 300ZX, Ducati TT2

Excellent advice right there.
Originally Posted by superswiss
Unfortunately, this is a design flaw of the 5 along with water pooling in the sunroof gaps and then running into the interior on the next turn if you have the window open. If you open the trunk lid too fast, the water runs down the rear window too fast and ends up in the trunk instead of the gap in front off the gasket. I think it has to do with how the trunk opens in the 5. It's high up over the rear window when fully open. Most other cars hinge the lid much closer. Whenever I have water on the trunk, I open it partially first to let off some of the water before open it fully and also do it slowly. That seems to do the trick. It's one of those things you just have to live with. Since it only rains for a few months here during the winter, it's not a big deal for me, but the same happens after washing the car and then opening the trunk.

I would also like to add that if water does happen to run down, it may also run down along the driver's side trunk compartment that houses all of the stereo equipment. Many people have had their stereo amps and such short out because of that water getting in behind that trunk side panel. I keep a towel handy in the trunk at all times especially for this.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks for the advice

Was going to mention this to the dealer but now will not.. Problem is I use the trunk more since the car is a two door,
Old 01-10-2017, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by oskidunker
Was going to mention this to the dealer but now will not.. Problem is I use the trunk more since the car is a two door,
You'll get used to it. I occasionally forget and end up with some water in the trunk. The thing is whatever I throw in there is most likely wet anyway and while the trunk is open it's gonna rain into it. As long as you don't have floods of water ending in the trunk, an occasional spill isn't gonna hurt anything.