Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

2018 RS 5?

Old 01-22-2017, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
I'm looking to switch from my S6 to a better handling car. I love my S6 but I don't need a 4 door anymore and want something that handles better, not that the S6 is a slouch; I guess I'm at my pre-midlife crisis too.
I want a sport cars that's good at everything, a Jack of all trades-master of none...something that is a comfortable DD but sportier than my S6, especially in the handling department. It needs to be something that'll hold me over until I get my supercar in a few years. I'm hoping that the future RS5 will fill that void. I'm also looking at the upcoming TT RS. As some of you have said, I hope Audi doesn't ridiculously price the RS5.
You are describing a GT and the current RS5 fits that bill exactly. That's why I still have it. Especially with supercar aspirations, the high-revving V8 in the current RS5 gives you that experience, but it's still a practical, comfortable DD and long distance cruiser if you don't need 4 doors. The new RS5 will be different. Chances are it will be softer just like the S models become softer every generation and the turbo charged engine with most likely a regular automatic transmission will give the next RS5 a very different character from the current one.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The RS5 and TTRS will have to have a cost separation...

The previous spread was approximately $10-12K for base MSRP. That will likely widen as the RS5 will need to fill a gap left by the departed V8 R8 manual.

My RS5 had all that I wanted and stayed right around $75K. That seems unlikely going forward as the S-variants have gone up in price. My assumption is that I will not be able to afford the next RS5, so I am looking elsewhere as the lease grinds down. If we keep a four-door S-car in the family S4/S6/S5 hatchback, then a TTRS is a possibility as there is quite a bit of room for two with gear. I am, like you, ambivalent about the S6 - I love many aspects of it, but not sure it's what a I want on Sunday in the canyons (I would like third car in the family for such shenanigans, but oh well) . There have been a couple of opportunities for great lease options on the S6 and I never cinched the deal for that reason.

It is wonderful to have choices…

Eric
Old 01-22-2017, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
You are describing a GT and the current RS5 fits that bill exactly. That's why I still have it. Especially with supercar aspirations, the high-revving V8 in the current RS5 gives you that experience, but it's still a practical, comfortable DD and long distance cruiser if you don't need 4 doors. The new RS5 will be different. Chances are it will be softer just like the S models become softer every generation and the turbo charged engine with most likely a regular automatic transmission will give the next RS5 a very different character from the current one.
The current model RS5 is a gorgeous car, no doubt. The NA engine sounds great and the body is as sexy as they come. Before I bought my '16 S6, I really wanted the RS5 but I needed (at least I thought) a four door at the time; now, not so much. The two things that I don't like about the current RS5 is the straight line performance and the outdated interior. My S6 with a tune will smoke the RS5 in a straight line and the interior is nicer also, IMO.
I love the NA 4.0 but I think the new twin turbo 3.0/2.9(?) will make the RS5 a more potent car, which remains to be seen. I'm afraid the exhaust note won't be as awesome as the NA 4.0 but I'm pretty confident that the new RS5 won't be too far off, especially after hearing what the new TT RS sounds like.
I'm looking to order a 911 TT/TTS in a couple of years, which has been a dream of mine since I was a kid. I plan on keeping a second car (hopefully the new RS5) for work. Then, I can be a bigger speed junkie!
Old 01-22-2017, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

The current model RS5 is a gorgeous car, no doubt. The NA engine sounds great and the body is as sexy as they come. Before I bought my '16 S6, I really wanted the RS5 but I needed (at least I thought) a four door at the time; now, not so much. The two things that I don't like about the current RS5 is the straight line performance and the outdated interior. My S6 with a tune will smoke the RS5 in a straight line and the interior is nicer also, IMO.
I love the NA 4.0 but I think the new twin turbo 3.0/2.9(?) will make the RS5 a more potent car, which remains to be seen. I'm afraid the exhaust note won't be as awesome as the NA 4.0 but I'm pretty confident that the new RS5 won't be too far off, especially after hearing what the new TT RS sounds like.
I'm looking to order a 911 TT/TTS in a couple of years, which has been a dream of mine since I was a kid. I plan on keeping a second car (hopefully the new RS5) for work. Then, I can be a bigger speed junkie!
Yeah, the RS5 is not about straight line performance, although it will leave at least a stock S6 behind on something like the Autobahn. It's lower to the ground, lighter and has a higher top speed, so it's all relative. Not sure how straight line performance is even of value in congested SoCal. It was awesome during my 4 week ED trip, but here it doesn't matter IMO. It's about corner carving in the canyons, which we are blessed with here in Cali. I'm afraid the next RS5 will lose the soul and character of the current one and be just another turbo charged performance car. If besides the Panamera engine, they'll throw in the PDK, then I might change my tune a little bit, but the current engine combined with the tuned S-tronic is simply phenomenal to drive in a deserted canyon. We'll see once it hits the street and we had some review time with it. As for the interior, that's personal taste I guess. I much prefer the cockpit style, driver oriented interior of the RS5, over the S6 interior. Same for the newer Audi interiors, except for the TT and R8. But the 4 and 5 lost the sport/driver oriented interior, which is a shame.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure same were said when small blocks with turbos and superchargers started replacing big blocks. Numbers and specs don't lie. To each his own, I guess.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 01-22-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:55 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm sure same were said when small blocks with turbos and superchargers started replacing big blocks. Numbers and specs don't lie. To each his own, I guess.
Truth - Technology evolves.

Now we're at the point where electric cars routinely smoke Hellcats and Corvettes at the drag strip.

Now Audi has abandoned the Le Mans 24 Hr race to Formula E, I think it's safe to say electric cars are the future.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently drove a TT RS and then an RS3. I ended up ordering a new RS5 which is scheduled to arrive late February just as the snow leaves our area. Anyway, I can't wait for it to arrive.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seinsmeld13
I recently drove a TT RS and then an RS3. I ended up ordering a new RS5 which is scheduled to arrive late February just as the snow leaves our area. Anyway, I can't wait for it to arrive.
There is an ordering guide and pricing?
Old 01-01-2018, 05:13 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LOVEMYGOLFR
There is an ordering guide and pricing?
Yes, if you are in Canada:

https://www.audi.ca/ca/web/en/models/a5/rs5-coupe.html
Old 01-01-2018, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by N8!
THANK YOU if exchange rates and Audi Pricing is comparable for USD, mine would cost $ 82,500 - right where I thought it would be...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 RS 5?