Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5/S5 Sportback questions

Old 03-21-2017, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S5/S5 Sportback questions

Hey gang

New here....going to order an S5 or S5 sportback and had some questions.

The S-Sport package in the USA. Do you think that is worth order? I had questions about it in regards to things like...

- How much does it cost to replace the dampening magnetic shocks
- If you opt for the 19" wheels is this a must
- Will you ever notice the sports differential if you aren't tracking this car?

This will be my first Audi so I'm really torn/not sure about certain things.

The tech package...read that the standard gauges have a mini virtual cockpit between the analog gauges so is this package even worth it at all considering I'd use navigation on my phone.

18" vs 19"s in regards to ride quality...also about tread....I live in the DC area and the weather here does get below 40 and we have snow occassionally...but are the 19's with summers ok for this area? Wish they give you 19" option with all seasons like they give the 18's with summer option.

Lastly...the sportback vs coupe question....totally torn on this.

Thx!
Old 03-21-2017, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 587 Likes on 422 Posts

lol if you don't check every option, just lol
Old 03-21-2017, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
lol if you don't check every option, just lol
Thank you for the worthless information and post.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 587 Likes on 422 Posts

Old 03-21-2017, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know how many people have experienced the magnetic damping shock system to truly know what it's like. It's different from the airbag suspension systems. Rumor has it that its smoother than a stock A4 in comfort and Super stiff in Dynamic. The damping system won't stop you from bending a rim on a pothole but it might help soften the ride in Comfort mode.

As for summer tires in the winter, it's dangerous. The rubber compound gets very hard and brittle at freezing temperatures so you loose traction there and then the tread pattern will leave you spinning in any snow. Audi won't even let you take delivery of a car with summer tires in the winter. If this is an everyday driver car for you with no backup then you really should invest in a set of winter tires or all season tires mounted on rims.

The virtual cockpit is totally superfluous but I ordered it anyway because I like gadgets. If you're happy with your phone navigation I can't make a good argument for you to get the virtual cockpit/ tech package.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 133 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan-S5
Hey gang

New here....going to order an S5 or S5 sportback and had some questions.

The S-Sport package in the USA. Do you think that is worth order? I had questions about it in regards to things like...

- How much does it cost to replace the dampening magnetic shocks
- If you opt for the 19" wheels is this a must
- Will you ever notice the sports differential if you aren't tracking this car?

This will be my first Audi so I'm really torn/not sure about certain things.

The tech package...read that the standard gauges have a mini virtual cockpit between the analog gauges so is this package even worth it at all considering I'd use navigation on my phone.

18" vs 19"s in regards to ride quality...also about tread....I live in the DC area and the weather here does get below 40 and we have snow occassionally...but are the 19's with summers ok for this area? Wish they give you 19" option with all seasons like they give the 18's with summer option.

Lastly...the sportback vs coupe question....totally torn on this.

Thx!
I don't know how much it'll cost to replace the dampers (probably a lot of money), id recommend it if you're going with the 19s because it does increase ride comfort will not sacrifice the drive. Also the money to retire it it will be WAY more than just getting it from factory. Sports differential is a must if you like to take your car on twisty roads etc. but if you don't and just drive the car to get from point a to b then i wouldn't recommend it. I would recommend the Tech package because the standard gauges do look old and virtual cockpit is very cool looking and usability wise very helpful. Coupe vs sportback is based on which one you think looks better and on how much space do you need (ie do you have a family, do you go on roads trips often and so on). Let me know if you have any other questions! Goodluck on your decision!
Old 03-21-2017, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Pabla
I don't know how much it'll cost to replace the dampers (probably a lot of money), id recommend it if you're going with the 19s because it does increase ride comfort will not sacrifice the drive. Also the money to retire it it will be WAY more than just getting it from factory. Sports differential is a must if you like to take your car on twisty roads etc. but if you don't and just drive the car to get from point a to b then i wouldn't recommend it. I would recommend the Tech package because the standard gauges do look old and virtual cockpit is very cool looking and usability wise very helpful. Coupe vs sportback is based on which one you think looks better and on how much space do you need (ie do you have a family, do you go on roads trips often and so on). Let me know if you have any other questions! Goodluck on your decision!
That's my big concern is that there isn't a real known price on fixing these magnetic shocks but I've heard they have to be changed in pairs and it's like $600 a shock.

It sucks you can't get the sports differential without the active suspension
Old 03-21-2017, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

There's probably a chance it'll be impossible because of the requirement of the sport differential must mean something. Maybe the mounting points are different. All car manufacturers makes sure most of their options are not able to be retrofitted so that it gets buyers like us, to buy all the options at once.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Pabla
There's probably a chance it'll be impossible because of the requirement of the sport differential must mean something. Maybe the mounting points are different. All car manufacturers makes sure most of their options are not able to be retrofitted so that it gets buyers like us, to buy all the options at once.
Yah I figured they come in things for a reason.

Tough decisions on the sports package...etc. I really want an S5 but my buddy is like if you don't get the sports differential then just get an A5 but I really don't want a 4 cylinder but I don't want to incur some crazy repair cost on this dampening suspension.

Also cannot believe they don't offer a all season option for the 19's. Considering 3/4 of the US has temperatures with bad weather for 6+ months, to not offer all seasons on the 19's is kinda a bad decision which forces you to fork out more $$$
Old 03-21-2017, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Spartan-S5
Yah I figured they come in things for a reason.

Tough decisions on the sports package...etc. I really want an S5 but my buddy is like if you don't get the sports differential then just get an A5 but I really don't want a 4 cylinder but I don't want to incur some crazy repair cost on this dampening suspension.

Also cannot believe they don't offer a all season option for the 19's. Considering 3/4 of the US has temperatures with bad weather for 6+ months, to not offer all seasons on the 19's is kinda a bad decision which forces you to fork out more $$$
Yea that was the problem with me too we need all seasons at least but guess we'll get a dedicated set of winter tires. An s5 is not an a5 without the differential because it still has a different engine, gearbox, suspension and interior.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S5/S5 Sportback questions