Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

01 Allroad Cooling Fan Relay and Fuses

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Allroad Cooling Fan Relay and Fuses

Hello Audiworld,
My Aux Fan doesn't turn on with the A/C switched on, nor does it turn on with the A/C OFF and at slightly over running temp. Oil 230-240 F, Coolant at halfway to 1 notch passed half.
The temps out here in Vegas can reach 115 deg F, So running my car on the freeway for 25 mins from work to home at the end of the day causes the coolant temp gauge to rise to the first bar passed the half way mark, this is with the A/C off. Under this condition, I check to see if any of the aux fans turn on, but they stay stagnant. Now, when I run the car with the A/C ON, the driver side fan is on, but not on high speed mode. I think it is at 2nd speed. This causes the coolant gauge to rise to 2 notches past half. The smaller aux fan never turns on. I am trying to locate a fuse under the driver side dash, but don't how to unbolt that panel under the steering wheel. It seems like there are 2 bolts on either side of the steering wheel, I assume I unbolt these and slide it out. Also, I would like to add, I dont hear my after run pump working either, should i be able to hear it? Sometime i can hear a very faint bubbling noise after i shut down car or A/C. Where should I start with the diagnosis? Is it the fan itself? Is it the coolant thermo switch in the lower rad hose? Is it a relay by my ecu up by the p/s reservoir? Is it a 60 amp fuse under the steering wheel? Does it have anything to do with my faulty bank 1 02 sensor heater? Is it my after run thermo switch?
Old 07-16-2015, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Not sure about your questions on the cooling fans but I can help with tips to remove the panel under the steering wheel. There is a small panel that sits above the steering wheel just below the gauge panel. Adjust your steering wheel to lower it and pull straight towards you to remove that panel and you'll see two small bolts one on either side. The large panel has 3-4 additional bolts on the very bottom of the panel that can be accessed from the driver footwell. One you have the panel off you'll see the additional fuses and relays just to the right of the main fuse box.

Last edited by Irish1004; 07-16-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Alright! Thanks man, didn't want to just get in there and start un-bolting things and ripping things out.