Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

05 4.2 Suspension Questions

Old 10-17-2016, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 05 4.2 Suspension Questions

Hi All,

New to the Allroad section here. I have "searched" and read numerous posts here and other forums, but hoping to get some thoughts specific to my suspension situation.

Front air suspension drops (sometimes within a minute) if I park in level 1 or 2 after turning off the car. If I turn off in level 3, don't have much drop at all even if it sits for a couple days. The wierd thing is the front bags have been replaced with Arnott by the prior owner within the past 6 months. Could it be the compressor? The rear suspension does not have any issues (running original Audi bags). Car has 88k miles.

My other question is, I'd imagine it's best to run the car in Level 3, even on the freeway so the car doesn't auto drop to level 2 (at which point I occasionally see the dash light come on (and stay on) as I'd imagine it is trying to keep the bags up in level 2. I can make it stay in level 3 by pressing the up or down button for 3 seconds or more, right? Will it stay in manual mode even if I turn the car off and then back on later?

Obviously I need to get this checked out by my local indy, just a matter of getting the time. Please let me know your thoughts if you are able.

Thanks guys!
Old 10-17-2016, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, check for any leaks in the bags or line with soapy water. Leave the car at level 2while checking for leaks. Arnott bags have been known to go bad.

As for driving in 3 on the highway, it is not recommended. The higher the suspension, the more of an angle on your CV joints. This will burn them up, and they will fail prematurely.

Before I swapped to coil overs, I would drive the car in automatic mode, but pump the shocks to level 3 before shutting it off.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the compressor is pumping the bags back up from level 2 to level 3 in 30 seconds or so then the compressor is OK but if it needs to keep running when on levels 1 or 2 then eventually you will destroy it. These compressors are expensive so you want to avoid doing that. Bagpipingandy on this and other forums has a ring kit to rebuild the compressor thats inexpensive and works a treat, but if you burn out the compressor that wont help you.

Follow advice from Mrkid for checking air leaks.

The sensor on the front left lower control arm sets the ride height and also the adjustment for the headlights. If its not an air leak this sensor may be faulty. You can swap the sensors around, (left and right fronts) the black actuator is the same on both sides, they have different part numbers because they come with different mounting plates but the mechanism is the same. If you have or can get a Vag-com you can reset the ride heights (there's instructions on this site for the 402 mod which explains in good detail and you can reset to standard or 402mm.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my 2001 I can locked the suspension in any level....but not sure about your later model. I heard that functionality was removed...

Sounds about right, you may have a small tear in the lower levels 1 & 2 in a fold in the rubber bag (BTDT), and putting it up at 3 or 4 will 'seal' the leak when the rubber bag is stretched. I worked at a dealer and we would park the used allroads in level 3 or 4 all the time so the fold rips would not happen. Do you know if you have Gen 1 or 2 Arnott bags?