Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

2.7T auto: problem with reverse

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 12:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to try to understand the problem a bit better.

Scenario 1: Torque converter is shot (something about a rod going straight through some kind of faulty drum?) and I need to have the tranny rebuilt.

Scenario 2: Problem with multifunction switch. Change the switch or clean connectors and solve problem.

With regards scenario 2, I ran a vag-com yesterday and no codes came out. Here is my question: could this multifunction switch be faulty without the computer giving me fault codes? and if not, does that eliminate scenario 2 completely?
Old 01-08-2011, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

check brake light switch, there 8 dollars, replace that first. if the ecu see's a faulty signal, then it will disengage the reverse. there doesn't need to be a fault code stored for this issue.

im in burlington vt if you want to drive down.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Having the same EXACT problem in my 03 Allroad... Started on Christmas Eve... No fault codes.
When i go to transmission repair stores, they say all they can do is change the transmission, that is only $3500.
It might be an easy issue, so please guys if somebody has solved that, let me know because its really pain in the a** that i have to push my allroad out off the parking spot because there is little bit of snow behind the car...
Old 01-10-2011, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

99 times out 100 its a vag com fix or a filter change for these autos.
if you have the radio code, do a hard reset by disconnecting the battery for 30 minuets.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by choptt
99 times out 100 its a vag com fix or a filter change for these autos.
if you have the radio code, do a hard reset by disconnecting the battery for 30 minuets.

I did the hard reset already (Never asked me for the code tho)
VAG-COM - No fault codes.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default reverse

Wish I can also tell you all kinds of hopes in this issue, the torque converter failed a while back and now the damege is too severe to reverse.
sorry but I think your tranny is done.
sorry to disagree but I actually seen more than 100 failed transmissions on allroads alone and 99 out of 100 is extremely hopeful or wishful thinking to be a simple reset, specially when reverse is completely gone.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Burbrocks
Ok so I did a quick search, and I have a few ideas what the problem might be, but I'm not conclusive, so here it is:

I have a 2001 2.7T Allroad automatic tranny. When I put the car in reverse, it backs up, but if I give it gaz, it's almost as if the car is in neutral. So I can back up slowly on a flat surface (without pushing the accelerator), but if there's a slight incline, it won't move (it'll actually go down the slope). If, on the same slope, I put the car back on Park and then back on Reverse, it'll motion upwards a bit, and then I'll feel something that 'disengages' and then I'm back to neutral feel. No weird noise that I could hear, no gears crunching or anything (which makes me hope it's not the whole tranny that's messed up).

prognosis?
Whoa everyone lets slow our roll here... Timewise is correct. It's the reverse clutch. It's not the brake light switch or the multifunction switch. This is often a side issue of the 17125 TqC problem though not always. It's bad news for sure ( I have this exact symptom / issue in my car with new TqC).

The only fix will be trans rebuild.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

hello, i hv the same exact problem with my reverse except that i am getting a code on the abs/esp module 01119 - Gear Recognition Signal intermittent. what does this mean?
Old 01-24-2011, 06:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just had this same issue in november 2010, Went in to have a tranny service, flush and filter change and they found a bunch of aluminium keys in the pan. Not one tech had any idea what they were for or where they came from. No fault codes, interminent reverse, no reverse on an incline. turns out the keys were parts of an aluminium housing that grenaded. Tranny shop showed me the part and it was amazing i couldnt hear any noise because it was rough. Replaced torque converter, order a reman tranny problem solved.....$4k later
The following users liked this post:
bigpoe (07-12-2019)
Old 01-28-2011, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default rear clutch drum

Ok here it is there are thoudands of these tiptronics zf trannies that this has happened to.In many cars not just audis there is a drum which houses the clutches for reverse gear, at leading edge of drum is a ring gear the wall was to thin and over time it splits drum cracks and cluth plates no longer will lock up. Tranny needs to be rebuilt and of course zf has a updated drum.

Quick Reply: 2.7T auto: problem with reverse