Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

2002 2.7T Automatic All-Road : Bottomless pit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 2.7T Automatic All-Road : Bottomless pit?

Hi,

This is my first post
I'm contemplating purchasing an old All-Road (it was imported here for a only a few years).

They are dirt cheap due to a reputation of very high maintenance.
I wanted to ask the experts (this forum) how real is that?

I searched around the forum and found I can replace the air suspension with regular coil overs for a couple of hundreds and remove a huge pain.
(I don't mind not having an adjustable height).

Since what I'm mostly after is:
1.The 2.7T motor (same one as the old S4) , I know it can easily be tuned, but how safe is it? I'm talking minor tunes , getting it to 300HP-350HP.

2.The four wheel drive , I don't like FWD, but Audi Quattro system is FWD biased , is it the same in the All-Road?

3.The Audi brand .

4.The huge spacious and quality interior.

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ohad.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:28 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi, first off knowing your location is a nice detail to know, different regions mean different approaches to different problems.

1. a simple tune can get the 2.7 to right around 300hp
2. as far as i understand, quattro is 50/50, not fwd bias like other awd systems like the 1st gen volvo awd and older subies

if it was taken care of by the previous owners and you can do a lot of your own wrenching, then its shouldn't be bad to maintain it.
i have 201k miles on mine and im still running the original turbos, tip and tc, engine internals and the interior is only now starting to show a little wear, mostly on the drivers seat.

they can last, just have to be a little **** about keeping it up to snuff
Old 07-12-2015, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '03 AR just rolled up 195k and is still on original turbos and tranny and still rolling on the air suspension. Had it for about 5 years now and has been quite reliable. Required a bit of TLC for the first couple years, but once all that was sorted it has mostly been regular maintenance. Still looks beautiful, inside and out, with no rust.

Can they be a bottomless pit? Oh hell yes they can. Really depends on previous maintenance and a bit of luck. Real key is being able to do your own work. Motor can easily handle a tune, but the TIP tranny is the weak point and I wouldn't push it beyond a stage 1 tune of about 300hp or so.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you for answering.
I'm in Israel , so it's hot and humid here .

Take into account a couple of more items (although they are subjective) , the AR used to cost ALLOT here out of the dealership , around 100K USD (crazy import taxes).

The question is if the second hand owners were as financially strong to maintain such a high end vehicle.

How about the transmission? Audi + automatic isn't the best combo , they aren't known for their reliable transmissions (no manual in sight ).

Besides the transformation from air to spring suspension , anything else to do to reduce maintenance ?
Old 07-13-2015, 06:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Reduce maintenance costs by correcting problems before they turn into bigger problems. And on a more Audi specific note - your car isn't a chemistry lab, so use the manufacturer's recommend fluids. You don't have to take my word for it, but saving $20 on coolant today will cost you more in the long run when your thermostat sticks, or your coolant temp sensor fails.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

How would you compare the maintenance issues of the all road compare to A6 2.7T Quattro?

There are a few for sale (of each) , limited variety.
Biggest advantage to the all road is it being a station wagon (I like the extra space, and no A6 station for sale now).

A6 doesn't have the complex air suspension , and looks a little bit less aggressive.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From my experience- my 2004 2.7 was in very ordinary shape when I got it. The previous owner sold it because he could not afford the repayments. This also meant I learned the hard way that he also did a lot of poor maintenance. You really need to check what the previous owner has done for servicing.

Also, what is your ability to do repairs yourself and what is your access to OEM parts at decent prices?

I can do most the work myself, but parts in Australia are just too expensive, so I pay for shipping parts mainly from the USA. This adds $60-$100 (AU) to the cost which really adds up.

Remembering these are a high end vehicle when new, lots of things break after 13 years of wear & tear, but the parts are all obtainable. I previously owned a high performance BMW of similar age, I would not say the Audi was any worse than the BMW for repairs.

I have the Arnett bags, no issues, but i don't change the levels much either.

I now own 4 VAG cars (1 * Audi, 2 * VW) so that must say something?
Old 07-14-2015, 08:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ohadohad2
How would you compare the maintenance issues of the all road compare to A6 2.7T Quattro?
A6 doesn't have the complex air suspension , and looks a little bit less aggressive.
You nailed it. It's the same car, the Allroad trim adds the air suspension and body styling. Shocks and springs need replacement too, so any car will require suspension work at some point. Is suspension repair more expensive on Allroad? Depends what needs to be replaced, but overall yes.

Engine repairs are expensive on the 2.7t motor. There are two turbochargers and the associated plumbing tightly packed around the 2.7 lieter V6. This leaves very little room for hands and tools. Many jobs require the front of the car to be removed, some jobs (ex. turbo replacement) require extensive disassembly to reach the desired parts. (Engine gets pulled from car).

It's really hard for anyone behind a computer to judge the condition of the used car you are looking at. The best way to buy it is with the expectation of inheriting some problems, and money set aside to do the repairs.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Last week I purchased a 2002 AR from a guy here in Toronto. The safety is being done even as we speak. I look forward to trouble-free driving along the 401 and down into the US.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by JAMES1944
Last week I purchased a 2002 AR from a guy here in Toronto. The safety is being done even as we speak. I look forward to trouble-free driving along the 401 and down into the US.
How much does it sells for? Here they're dirt cheap , basically people want to get rid of them.

2002 AR 2.7T Auto , around 100K-120K miles is about 5K$ asking price , probably lower after negotiation.

Quick Reply: 2002 2.7T Automatic All-Road : Bottomless pit?