Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

2002 allroad suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 04:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cris
Bentley's publishing did a video on how to replace control arms, and explained how to get a stuck pinch bolt out with air hammer (~1:00 mark). No torch needed, but requires air compressor and air hammer.

Audi A6 (C5) 1998-2004 - Front upper control arm replacement DIY, how to - YouTube
I decided to stay away from the torch because I concluded for heat to work it would have to be such that it will fry the ball joints as they are clamped in and pretty much part of the knuckle. Anyway, my massive clamp turned out to be a complete failure. With shocks from an air hammer it might work but I know this: after 12 years, on salty roads in Ontario, there is no force which can remove 3 inch bolt fused in a tight hole. My clamp was a 1.5x1.35 mild steel section and I managed to deform it by cranking a 3/4x16NF bolt. So, I simply twisted off the head, drilled successive holes through the bolt until the drill penetrated the bolt and showed through the second slit where the rear upper arm attaches. I thought the bolt will break there when I crank the nut over some bushing like trying to pull it out but, to my surprise, the bolt started moving and eventually I got it out.
Short story, today I installed the new bag, gradually lowered the car, suspension is pressurized now and I left in level 3 for now, did not have the courage to lower it to level 1 to check if something else is leaking or not, I wanted to enjoy the moment...
Old 11-24-2014, 04:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jahroots
Hi Stan,

I just installed a new compressor on my 2001 allroad, but it doesn't seem to be starting up, and my shocks are all deflated. I called Arnott, and they said that the compressor should just start working automatically, but that's not the case. Do you, (or anyone else reading) know if there is a trick to getting the compressor to kick on after installation?

Thanks for reading,
George
This is how I understand how it works, starts automatically when there is a need for air. As with all things electric, first thing is to check if it is getting the power,
but with Allroad I will not be the one to advise on this, haven't even got my Vagcom yet. With the expertise in this forum you should be getting the help shortly :-)
Old 11-25-2014, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jahroots
Hi Stan,

I just installed a new compressor on my 2001 allroad, but it doesn't seem to be starting up, and my shocks are all deflated. I called Arnott, and they said that the compressor should just start working automatically, but that's not the case. Do you, (or anyone else reading) know if there is a trick to getting the compressor to kick on after installation?

Thanks for reading,
George
Is the suspension error light on? it will do nothing if the suspension error light is on constantly, (yellow car with up and down arrow)

let us know

regards

Andy