Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

2002 OVERHEATING

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 04:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 OVERHEATING

Hi Everyone,
I bought my 2002 Allroad 60 days ago and it has 236,091 KM. It overheated during a traffic jam, stop and go, on the hottest day of the year. The ambient temperature went to 36 C that day. The temperature signal sounded constantly during the final leg of the trip. Fortunately, I was able to pull off to the side of the street and I found a cool place to leave it for the night.

When my mechanic looked at it the next day, he said the total work would cast about $3100 since they would pull the front of the car off and replace the timing belt, the water pump, and the thermostat all at the same time.The mechanic said they would spend about 10 hours on all the replacements etc.

The temperature siren whines and I see the thermometer icon on my dashboard. My question is: If it's a problem with the thermostat being plugged or broken, what are my options with this car?
Old 09-10-2015, 05:17 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Interestingly, you didn't mention if he was looking at the cooling fans. I assume that the car did not overheat while in motion? If a car overheats while stationary, but not underway, then the first thing I'd look at is the cooling fans.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
Interestingly, you didn't mention if he was looking at the cooling fans. I assume that the car did not overheat while in motion? If a car overheats while stationary, but not underway, then the first thing I'd look at is the cooling fans.
^^^What he said!^^^

If true then find a new mechanic. There are 3 cooling fans. 2 electric and 1 mechanical. Mechanical doesn't do much when idling, but electrical's do. One in front of radiator(easy to replace), one behind radiator(more difficult). If temp is fine when moving then it's the cooling fans and not all the other stuff he is trying to replace.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My Allroad was in stop and go traffic where you sit with your foot on the brake and the engine idling for 10 minutes then move 3 meters. This stop and go situation went on for about 90 minutes. During that time, we moved about 1 km maybe less.
The temp icon began to appear and the siren wailed incessantly until we came to an area when I could shut the car off.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would definitely look at the cooling fans first before anything. It could be the electric fans themselves or the fan control module. Either fix will be a lot less than what the mechanic quoted.

With that being said when was the last time the timing belt service was done? It may not fix your overheating but it is good to have done if you're not sure when it was completed last time.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree.
Possible reasons to check out. Priorites as numbers. All of them are possible at this age if all components are still the original. Mine had almost all, except of no. 2. Mine had the same probs 2 ys ago
1. Electric fans do not run / do not start (switch on -> thermo switch or fan control module in the engine bay left, front) - electrical problem/s
2. Your viscous fan tends to be too old (the "tech gel" inside spoils so the fan rpm at hot engine is too low and does not proportionally follow the engine rpm)
3. the radiator is partially clogged. Very common at 236t km. I replaced mine and the oil temp dropped by approx 8 celsius grades. After that, the coolant temp never exeeded the mid scale (90 Celsius)
4. The oil pan (definitely) has some oil mud of approx 1cm thickness.... This causes worse oil cool effect -> makes the water even warmer! That is relatively simple to demount, clean and seal back if you change the engine oil. The turbos will also say a big thank you.
5w50 Mobil1 is the best oil for hot climate. This drops the oiltemp about 5 Celsius compared to normal 5w40 oils and is very stable at hight temperatures. Turbos will last longer, too.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default ALLROAD SMOKING SEPTEMBER 17

Thank you to all and most recently PETROL BEAR. my car is in the shop, even as we speak, to check the allroad plumbing. They will perform a high pressure flush and check the thermostat and the two coolant pumps. For now, I wait.
James