Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

2003 AR Radio Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 06:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 AR Radio Replacement

Hi Guys,

So my '03 has almost 150K on the clock, and its time to replace the radio (pixels missing) and the Climate Control module (button finish worn on the + and -). I have replacement units in hand, but before I remove anything, I have a question regarding the SAFE code. I have done a search, but the answer eludes me...

Will the New-to-Me Symphony II throw a safe code when I install it? I have seen mention that these units know which vehicle they are in. Does this mean it will recognize and Audi and be happy? Or is it VIN specific?

The Symphony II is from a wrecking yard, and out of a 2000 A6 4.2 Sedan. I know there has been a lot of postings regarding the SAFE code, but I just want to be sure I have all the information needed before I go ahead with the replacement.

As I will be refreshing my AR over the next weeks and months, I will be coming at you with a lot of questions! Be patient with me!

Thanks,

Gersh
Old 04-28-2015, 12:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

as long as you have the code the radio will work. i take radios out of passats and put them in jettas and its no issue. just make sure its the same system (swap symphony 2 for symphony 2)
Old 04-29-2015, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Look online as there is a lot of information and YouTube Videos with instructions that provide a wealth of information about the radio code and the SAFE Mode.

If you have the radio code it will be really simple. If you don't then you can either go to one of the many online sites and get it for a small fee or contact your local Audi Dealer. They will give you the code for free provided you have the radio serial number and the car's VIN number and can show proof of ownership.

My understanding is that the code is radio specific but here's the catch 22 if the radio (as in your case) is not the original one installed by Audi. The automotive records will have the code for the original radio installed and again is accessible using the VIN and radio serial number.

I'm guessing that more research online will uncover what to do if you replace the original radio but don't have the code that goes with it. I know that some cars have an override procedure and I'm betting that Audi does as well.

Your local Audi Dealer should be able to advise you should you need the code. Good luck!