Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

2003 Audi Quattro Allroad Revs but wont move!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Audi Quattro Allroad Revs but wont move!?!?!?

To try and keep it simple, my 2003 Audi Quattro Allroad car turns on, engine sounds good (normal) put into Drive, 1, or any gear on auto/tiptronic to move forward and all my car does will Rev but no forward motion!?!?!?

Thought from previous experience is needing to get new fresh amts of both oil and coolant.

Any help/advice/tips would be GRATEFULLY APPRECIATED!!!! THANKS AUDI WORLD!!! 😉😉😉
Old 08-15-2016, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sounds like your overrun clutch drum in your trans came apart. Common on 5hp transmission series. If it cracks, it wont engage any gears because the overrun clutch drum is needed for each gear. Drop the trans pan and see if there are any pieces of the drum in the pan. Plus, when you take the pan off, I believe you can see the drum through a small 1" square kind of towards the back of the trans.

One way to eliminate the torque convertor as a problem is to see the input shaft speed on live data. If its turning while the engine is turning, you can bet its an internal trans problem.

Hope this helps, Connor.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

sorry to thread jack. this may have answered my question as well. i just bought a new tcu thinking that was the case. first i dropped the pan and stuck in between the solenoids i found two small aluminum/metal pieces. so as of now fresh fluid and filter, and i have a new tcu but i am waiting for the new wiring set to fix the power line at the tcu harness. when i go into drive or reverse it just revs and if i rev to much it slams into gear. what i have been able to do is drive the car in limp mode (with the tcu removed) then when on the highway or a road that is 55+ i will reach over to the passanger side and reconnnect the tcu. i can then drive in gears 3,4,5 in tip or d,s. doingt this allows me to drive in gears 3,4,5 but not 1,2. hope this helps and again sorry for jacking the thread. my car is a 2004 audi allroad auto.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

The way I would go about it if it was my car is diagnose and repair any electrical conditions first.

Michael, if you have codes in your TCM, I wold repair them first, and see if the condition is repaired.

If everything is checking out electrically, then you would suspect the mechanical condition I described above.

Losisupertruckguy, if you are able to drive it in LM, then you might not have an internal problem. Post a picture on your thread of the metal pieces found in your pan. That can be helpful, because I might be able to give you an idea of what it could be a part of.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

ok gonna go take a pic now
Old 08-17-2016, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by losisupertruckguy
ok gonna go take a pic now
Old 08-17-2016, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by losisupertruckguy
Old 08-17-2016, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

oh ya those are the teeth that hold the snap ring down in the overrun clutch drum. I would recommend pulling the transmission out to take it to have it rebuilt, or watch some vids on youtube and see if you feel comfortable doing it yourself.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by transman
oh ya those are the teeth that hold the snap ring down in the overrun clutch drum. I would recommend pulling the transmission out to take it to have it rebuilt, or watch some vids on youtube and see if you feel comfortable doing it yourself.

Thank you.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

ok so quick update:

i started my vehicle and unplugged my maf, i can now get engagement when i shift into drive, before i wouldnt feel any sort of engagement. the car will slightly move forward as well as reverse with maf unplugged. im also doing this with the redwire(power) not plugged into the harness as i am waiting for my new wiring kit to arrive tomorrow. so my question is is it possible for a failing maf to effect the communication and send an false reading on engine load to avoid r or d to engage? im appauled that i can now feel my car engage into drive with the maf unplugged when before there was no detection going into r or d. so tomorrow i will fix my red wire to my tcm harness and try to find a working maf to see if this fixes my r,d problem. i hope all this helps someone else as well. transman please chime in if you can.

Quick Reply: 2003 Audi Quattro Allroad Revs but wont move!?!?!?