Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

2004 allroad shift lock solenoid problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 allroad shift lock solenoid problem

Have a 2004 allroad I just bought and it will not let the shift lever come out of park when the wiring harness is plugged into the circuit board that houses the PRNDS lights. When that harness is unplugged, pushing on the brake pedal will activate the shift lock solenoid and it will come out of park. Pluging it in and pressing on the brake until the brake lights come on will not activate the solenoid. I took it apart and there was a quarter in there but both of the magnets were where they should be and there was no visual indication of damage. The PRNDS lights are lit around the edges including the light telling you to press the brake before shifting out of park. None of the lights light when the black plastic is moved to any of the gear positions or into the + or - ranges. I have never driven this car so know very little about it. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just a bit of hunting around, here's a link for the part and a thread stating that the fluid level may be low.

Hope this helps,

04 2004 Audi A6 Quattro Automatic Transmission Solenoid - Transmission - Genuine - PartsGeek

and

A6 Allroad Transmission Problem - Audi Forums
Old 05-27-2015, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Found the solution

Took the shift indicator out and disassembled it. Previous owner had dropped a quarter in the shift mechanism and it had gotten into the area where the circuit board is that lights up the PRNDS lights and shorted the board to ground blowing the fuse. I had checked fuse #31 but turns out it was fuse #5. Replaced 10 amp fuse, problem solved.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by corvair
Took the shift indicator out and disassembled it. Previous owner had dropped a quarter in the shift mechanism and it had gotten into the area where the circuit board is that lights up the PRNDS lights and shorted the board to ground blowing the fuse. I had checked fuse #31 but turns out it was fuse #5. Replaced 10 amp fuse, problem solved.
Thank You Corvair... I just searched up and down the Internet for this particular problem and I had the same issue as you. But I could not find any change in the gear shifter. This happened after a car wash... Weird, but Thank you for posting, I would never had thought of looking at a lousy fuse.