Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

2016 Allroad crossbar Rack Options

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Allroad crossbar Rack Options

I know this has been a popular theme in the past and wanted to provide an update to the crossbar options for the Allroad. I was looking for the cleanest look, lowest profile that would still accommodate a functioning sunroof, needed minimal "bar-real-estate" (i'll explain later), will keep the bars on the car during winter to accommodate a ski-box and not use them in the other months...lastly, i wanted the quietest bars I could find as my square Thule's were quite noisy.

The bars tested in order of profile; lowest first:
Whispbar Rail Bar - lowest profile, best looking, couldn't open sunroof...bigger issue was that I couldn't get the Yakima roof box "foot" around the bar. This was based on clearance, not the diameter of the bar. I have the new Yakima SkyBox Lo Carbonite Cargo Roof Box. Love the box, but the clamps are larger than Thule's. apparently Thule's will fit around the Rail Bar and the Aero Blade Edge bar. As long as you don't open the sunroof, you could have the lowest profile set up with either of these.

Thule AeroBlade Edge - could open the sunroof, but got caught on the closing of the roof.
Whispbar Flush Bar - on order, appears to be the best option
Whispbar Through Bar - The S16 appears to work, though another poster stated that he went wit the S17 so that they could fit a roof box and bike trays on the outside of the roof rails.

The flush bar option is pricy...about $560 from Racknroad, due to the cost of the K328 smart foot needed. "theSaint024" did an excellent writeup in 2012 with pics. The Rail Bar option was about $80 cheaper and the Thule option was about $490 (but I believe you can find it a lot cheaper during sales).

I'll follow up with update pics when I receive the Flush bars.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you belong over here A4 allroad (B8 Platform) Discussion - AudiWorld Forums
Old 02-22-2017, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by hammillt
I know this has been a popular theme in the past and wanted to provide an update to the crossbar options for the Allroad. I was looking for the cleanest look, lowest profile that would still accommodate a functioning sunroof, needed minimal "bar-real-estate" (i'll explain later), will keep the bars on the car during winter to accommodate a ski-box and not use them in the other months...lastly, i wanted the quietest bars I could find as my square Thule's were quite noisy.

The bars tested in order of profile; lowest first:
Whispbar Rail Bar - lowest profile, best looking, couldn't open sunroof...bigger issue was that I couldn't get the Yakima roof box "foot" around the bar. This was based on clearance, not the diameter of the bar. I have the new Yakima SkyBox Lo Carbonite Cargo Roof Box. Love the box, but the clamps are larger than Thule's. apparently Thule's will fit around the Rail Bar and the Aero Blade Edge bar. As long as you don't open the sunroof, you could have the lowest profile set up with either of these.

Thule AeroBlade Edge - could open the sunroof, but got caught on the closing of the roof.
Whispbar Flush Bar - on order, appears to be the best option
Whispbar Through Bar - The S16 appears to work, though another poster stated that he went wit the S17 so that they could fit a roof box and bike trays on the outside of the roof rails.

The flush bar option is pricy...about $560 from Racknroad, due to the cost of the K328 smart foot needed. "theSaint024" did an excellent writeup in 2012 with pics. The Rail Bar option was about $80 cheaper and the Thule option was about $490 (but I believe you can find it a lot cheaper during sales).

I'll follow up with update pics when I receive the Flush bars.
Hi Hamillit,

How did the whispbar flush bar s6 work out for you? I am trying to find a bar that will work on my 2014 allroad and my Yakima skybox pro 16s. I had emailed whispbar and they said that it will not work with the whispbar s6 and my skybox since it would interfere with the sunroof.

Thank you
Old 02-22-2017, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 604AR
Hi Hamillit,

How did the whispbar flush bar s6 work out for you? I am trying to find a bar that will work on my 2014 allroad and my Yakima skybox pro 16s. I had emailed whispbar and they said that it will not work with the whispbar s6 and my skybox since it would interfere with the sunroof.

Thank you
The S6's work great, remember, you have to get the separate foot component also. they are higher profile, don't look as good, but have plenty of clearance for the clamps of the box along with I don't have to worry about an accidental sunroof opening.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by hammillt
The S6's work great, remember, you have to get the separate foot component also. they are higher profile, don't look as good, but have plenty of clearance for the clamps of the box along with I don't have to worry about an accidental sunroof opening.
Hi Hammillt,

Thank you for the repy!

Would it be possible to take a picture of your box on your allroad? I want to make sure the mounting clamps are the same as mine.

Thank you in avanced!
Old 02-22-2017, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Did you get the Whispbar S6 or Whispbar S26?
Old 02-22-2017, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Below are pics of my AR and a friend's, both with the same bars.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you for the pictures!

I have done some research and I think the clamps on your Yakima SkyBox Lo Carbonite Cargo Roof Box and my Skybox 16s Pro are the same.

Did you get the Whispbar S6 or Whispbar S26?

US Whispbar website
$459 - $479
FLUSH BAR: S6 1000mm &1000mm
+ $90 FIT KIT: K328
FITS YOUR:
2014 AUDI A4 ALLROAD WAGON

New Zealand Whispbar website
FITS YOUR:
2014 AUDI A4 ALLROAD WAGON
Whispbar S26 Flush Bars - 1000 & 1050mm
2014 AUDI A4 ALLROAD 5 DOOR WAGON 2009 - 2015 (RAILS) REMOVE VEHICLE
S26W FLUSH BAR: $444 RRP