Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Advise on Shocks for Allroad

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Advise on Shocks for Allroad

I bought my Audi Allroad a year back and have in general been very pleased with it. Added 20k miles on the car, so we used it a lot. As I got it, the airspings have already been replaced with the Arnott's, and I replace the shocks in the front with the Arnott equivalent. I now want to also replace the rear shocks, and are having problem finding any aftermarket shocks. I can but the Audi OEM for a bit more that $1000 for a set, but are looking for a cheaper alternative.

Can anyone recommend an alternative? The Arnott provided shocks are apparently all gone.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:18 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the arnott bilsteins can be had on fleabay
i got my pair off there for about 350
Old 11-05-2015, 06:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What he said. For a DD, Bilsteins are a good replacement. If you are going to haul heavy loads most of the time, stay with OEm shocks.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The allroad C5 rear Shock absorber are dynamic. The dumping force varies according to the height and the weight. There is no one from the after market that offers thet. It gives you a unique comfort ride and extra stability to the vehicle.
Googel for SSP243 For an explanation about the allroad air spring system

Last edited by amiram; 11-07-2015 at 06:55 AM.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by amiram
The allroad C5 rear Shock absorber are dynamic. The dumping force varies according to the height and the weight. There is no one from the after market that offers thet. It gives you a unique comfort ride and extra stability to the vehicle.
Googel for SSP243 For an explanation about the allroad air spring system
You understanding very well how it is working, but it is so easy. Algorithm of functionality of mechanical parts it is simple and artless. Next generation of pneumatic suspension is not so easiest.
Proven solution is using Koni shock absorber from A6C6 for rear suspension Allroad A6C5.
If you interesting i can give you direction for solving.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:39 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you want to read/page through it here are links to the audi self study pdf's for the air suspension system

Book 1

Book 2
Old 11-09-2015, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PaperToast
if you want to read/page through it here are links to the audi self study pdf's for the air suspension system
Believe me, before start find technical solution, these SSP files was read out to the holes and overviewed all technical parameters like forces of tension and compression.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for the many inputs. I did read some of the SSP papers, and it gave me a better understanding of the complexity of the rear air suspension. Clearly the OEM shocks are preferred, however still a bit expensive. I very seldom load the car up in the rear, or pull something heavy, so I am considering aftermarket solutions.

I saw Romario's comment about using a Koni A6C6 rear shock for the Allroad. Seems quite creative. Any modification needed of the shock itself? Please forward a few more details.

I also found a like to a polish company that apparently are modifying Sachs shocks to be used with the Allroad. Link Audi A6 Allroad C5 Regeneracja Airmatic Limak

Any experience on the Polish approach.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Johnbach
Thanks for the many inputs. I did read some of the SSP papers, and it gave me a better understanding of the complexity of the rear air suspension. Clearly the OEM shocks are preferred, however still a bit expensive. I very seldom load the car up in the rear, or pull something heavy, so I am considering aftermarket solutions.

I saw Romario's comment about using a Koni A6C6 rear shock for the Allroad. Seems quite creative. Any modification needed of the shock itself? Please forward a few more details.

I also found a like to a polish company that apparently are modifying Sachs shocks to be used with the Allroad. Link Audi A6 Allroad C5 Regeneracja Airmatic Limak

Any experience on the Polish approach.
Today evening (Moscow time) I will fill up info.
Few month ago I've prepared installation kit for my friend. He pulling of trailer for boats twice per week. He was realy happy after installation.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Photo containing OEM shock absorber vs Koni 8240-1230 Sport.
You can see same length of shock absorber's bodies and more length of Koni's shtok. It is due OEM shock absorber equipped additional metal spring inside, which working like damper in 4th level of suspension. If you do not planning to jump on the dunes in full speed - this spring function is not actual.
Why we select Koni's shock absorbers? It is easy. Koni is once from any other manufacturer doing disassemble unit and it can be overhauled.

Quick Reply: Advise on Shocks for Allroad