Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Air suspension rear knocking (repeated and then stops)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by r7ehw
Hi Andy,

I have at last got around to getting the compressor off the car and one of the things I did do was to change the piston ring with one of your kits. I also had a huge problem actually getting one of the alloy mounts off the car but my local garage gave me a hand with that when it was in for a service.

So I have removed and refitted and put in place a new piston ring. Well the noise is still loud but different tone clearly changing the ring has made a difference but the noise is still very unpleasant and my wife thinks the car is about to disintegrate every time she goes in it. Is it possible that the compressor is worn in another way and needs replacing? the thing is it does work and nothing is wrong with operation of the car. Its all about the noise.

Ideas suggestions for my next step welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Russell
check the compressor sits on its 3 spring mounts and does not hit the antiroll bar when you move it. & make sure the end plate is still rivited on, also watch the compressor when it runs, it shakes very vilently and it should be free to bounce around on its springs, if the noise is a thud thud thud then i suspect it is hitting the car body, or if no springs the vibration will go through the car body.

The motor bearings could go causing a noise but not a loud noise, and never had to change one yet!! watch the compressor as it runs is a good step it may be obvious then

let us know what you see

regards

Andy
Old 07-29-2015, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good news - PROBLEM SOLVED -

Thanks to much help and advice from Bagpipingandy I eventually decided to replace the compressor with a new unit from Andy. This has solved the problem and I am left with a quiet car. In fact a very nicely sorted and beautifully running car. Shame it is to be sold as I have just got a job with a company car.

Will be selling in September after our around Europe trip in her, France and Italy anyway
Old 08-02-2015, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by r7ehw
Good news - PROBLEM SOLVED -

Thanks to much help and advice from Bagpipingandy I eventually decided to replace the compressor with a new unit from Andy. This has solved the problem and I am left with a quiet car. In fact a very nicely sorted and beautifully running car. Shame it is to be sold as I have just got a job with a company car.

Will be selling in September after our around Europe trip in her, France and Italy anyway
I'm glad I could help, and its running quiet again!