Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Allroad c5 output bearing

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 10:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Allroad c5 output bearing

Hi everyone..new to the site but have been lurking for a while.Some great cars and info on hee.
My car is a 2002 2.7t allroad with the tiptroni .I have been having some problems with vibrations under load.I narrowed it down to a faulty half shaft which I have replaced ,when I was doing the job I noticed a fair amount of play in the output flange.
I can move the whole right hand shaft up and down a fair bit compared to the leftt which has negligble movement.
Replacing the cv has solved part of the problem but there is still an annoying vibration,I pulled the output flange out and I am guessing the output bearings are the culprit here.
My question is how do I replace the bearings,is this a gearbox out job ,or do I can I split the case in situ and acces the bearings that way ?
thanks i advance
Old 07-22-2016, 02:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Michael Mccrudden
Hi everyone..new to the site but have been lurking for a while.Some great cars and info on hee.
My car is a 2002 2.7t allroad with the tiptroni .I have been having some problems with vibrations under load.I narrowed it down to a faulty half shaft which I have replaced ,when I was doing the job I noticed a fair amount of play in the output flange.
I can move the whole right hand shaft up and down a fair bit compared to the leftt which has negligble movement.
Replacing the cv has solved part of the problem but there is still an annoying vibration,I pulled the output flange out and I am guessing the output bearings are the culprit here.
My question is how do I replace the bearings,is this a gearbox out job ,or do I can I split the case in situ and acces the bearings that way ?
thanks i advance
I have changed this needle bearing few week ago.
You need only remove the output flange and pull out the bearing.
You can use an hammer puller or one like this with minor modification
Old 07-22-2016, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by aritaly
I have changed this needle bearing few week ago.
You need only remove the output flange and pull out the bearing.
You can use an hammer puller or one like this with minor modification
Thanks for the reply.Was taht for the 5hp19 ? The bearing seems to be held in by a pressed in aluminium ring.I was expecting to find a snap rind holding it in place.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Michael Mccrudden
Thanks for the reply.Was taht for the 5hp19 ? The bearing seems to be held in by a pressed in aluminium ring.I was expecting to find a snap rind holding it in place.
Yes is for 5hp19.
The bearing is the hk3224 and is only press fitted.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Check your output flange bearing surface as well. The link below gives several issues that cause the excess movement on the right side output shaft.

I have the same issue, ordered a used flange and new bearing. That bearing is difficult to find in the US. Struck out with all the bearing distributors I called. Found them at a distributor in Great Britain via eBay. Shipping was almost as much as the bearing.

aritaly, thanks for the bearing number. No mention of it in any ZF parts list. Nobody seems to know what's in there.

quattroworld.com Forums: Passenger's side output flange excessive play.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Links to the bearing and the oil seal

HK3224 Elementos Rodantes Rodamiento de Agujas Con Dos Abierto Salidas | eBay

Audi VW Front Right Axle CV Shaft Seal 01V409399 | eBay
Old 08-09-2016, 12:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by CJKaz
Check your output flange bearing surface as well. The link below gives several issues that cause the excess movement on the right side output shaft.

I have the same issue, ordered a used flange and new bearing. That bearing is difficult to find in the US. Struck out with all the bearing distributors I called. Found them at a distributor in Great Britain via eBay. Shipping was almost as much as the bearing.

aritaly, thanks for the bearing number. No mention of it in any ZF parts list. Nobody seems to know what's in there.

quattroworld.com Forums: Passenger's side output flange excessive play.
thanks to you, the link is very usefull. my car have started to vibrate again. i'll try the way of a new flange
Old 08-10-2016, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5x HK3224 for about the same price if you're not in a rush

5pcs/lot drawn cup needle roller Bearing HK3224 32x38x24mm on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Old 08-11-2016, 12:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Metronet
I did order the bearing from the UK, took a little while. My supplier did finally quote them, 90 day lead time coming from Germany! Output flange came quickly, perfect bearing surface. Will be interesting to measure the original (sloppy) one when I remove it.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well I ended up putting it leaving it for now as I did not have the right equipment to pull the bearing .The vibration is tolerable for the moment.
I have found this code 17125 - Torque Converter Clutch: Stuck OFF / No Power being transferred
P0741 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
I am now contemplating a manual swap

Quick Reply: Allroad c5 output bearing