Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Allroad "double spoke" wheels/vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Allroad "double spoke" wheels/vibration

I have been chasing various vibration issues in my vehicle. I have a 2004 six speed ar with just under 80,000 miles on it.

I recently bought one new wheel that was bent and most of my vibration issues have gone away. I have also replaced upper control arms and bushings.

Today I started having some vibration issues on certain pieces of road. I went to a do-it-yourself car wash and sprayed the crap out of my rims. Problem seems to be resolved 99.99%.

Are these double spoke rims simply prone to collecting dirt? I know last winter in some heavy snowstorms I had major problems with snow collecting on evenly. Anyone out there switched from these twin spoke rims to the standard five star and have a smoother and more consistent ride?
Old 09-27-2015, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I assume you are referring to the OEM "double layer premium" wheels offered as an option when new. I have those on my wife's allroad and I can say the car is very susceptible to vibrations and any even slightly out of balance or slightly bent wheel results in noticeable vibrations. Based on my experience. Quattro vehicles of that era in general can be very sensitive to wheel or tire vibrations,
Old 09-27-2015, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Correct with your description of the wheels. "Premium" double layered.

Wonder if the other type of wheels are worth trying. They MUST be better at not collecting dirt and snow.

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I assume you are referring to the OEM "double layer premium" wheels offered as an option when new. I have those on my wife's allroad and I can say the car is very susceptible to vibrations and any even slightly out of balance or slightly bent wheel results in noticeable vibrations. Based on my experience. Quattro vehicles of that era in general can be very sensitive to wheel or tire vibrations,
Old 09-29-2015, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tahoesilvers4
Correct with your description of the wheels. "Premium" double layered.

Wonder if the other type of wheels are worth trying. They MUST be better at not collecting dirt and snow.
I used to own two VW Jettas. One was a GLS with the standard 5 big spoke wheels and the other was a GLX and had the double spoke 5 spoke wheels that were similar to the premium Allroad wheels. I had vibration issues with the double spoke wheels almost every time we had a significant snowfall but seldom had this issue with the standard spoke wheels. Apparently the double spoke wheels tended to trap the snow and once frozen it became the worlds biggest wheel weight. I solved it the same way that you did ... a hand full of quarters and multiple passes at a do it yourself car wash!

Last edited by Irish1004; 09-29-2015 at 07:08 AM.