Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Allroad suspension light on - no ESP ?

Old 01-24-2015, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It was all down to water in the floorpan !

At last I believe its sorted !
There have been a number of developments since I last posted on here
1) All 4 indicators came on solid and wouldn’t go off
2) I suspected the flasher unit
3) I Bought a new flasher unit but found it was identical but had one pin more than the original so I sent it back.
4) I then read on here that the problem could be water in the Comfort module under the carpet
5) Sure enough I found an inch of water sloshing around the black box and inside it
6) I spent days removing the water and took the module indoors for a thorough drying out. I used a heater, a hair drier and a de-humidifier in my efforts to dry the saturated carpet and rubber underlay.
7) I found the cause which was exactly as written about on here by many members. The Plenum chamber was filled with 2 inches of water and the pollen filter seal was completely perished. Water had been entering the car via the air intake probably for months!
8) I removed and discarded the 2 rubber grommets from the drain holes. They do nothing but ensure a blockage! I then removed and cleaned the pollen filter housing, fitted a new rubber seal made from a large O ring finally re-fitting with half a tube of black silicon sealant for good measure
9) When the comfort module was refitted the indicator problem was cured but the level warning light was not. It was now coming on and off at random.
10) The breakthrough came when I lifted the carpet some more and saw some green corrosion around a point on the wiring harness. On inspection I found a crimp connector holding 5 wires together that had corroded almost to a powder. 2 of the wires were detached.
11) I quickly cut the wires back and reconnected them with a terminal strip then wrapped them tightly with self healing tape.
12) Now I can safely say the problem is solved – a short test drive today was free of warning lights and everything is working fine
13) I am going leave the passenger seat out and the carpet raised for a week or so to allow a complete drying out. On a friends advice I have put some trays of cat litter in the car to absorb any remaining moisture.

The conclusion is that the Audi designers who decided to place a vital control module on the floor where is can (and will) get wet and then specified a perishable rubber seal as the only line of defence should have been sacked years ago!
Attached Images      
Old 01-28-2015, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well done thats a good find and good info

regards

Andy
Old 02-05-2015, 02:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is just one more incident to report. When I disconnected the passenger seat the airbag warning light came on and I expected it to go off when I replaced the seat but it didn't. The solution was a scan with Vag.com using one of those cheap OBD2 interfaces from Ebay and it worked a treat.