Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Allroad tiptronic reverse gear going out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Allroad tiptronic reverse gear going out?

Hello all, I picked up a 2001 Allroad two weeks ago. It is in good shape, has 105k miles on it. Ive had to do the brakes on it and an airbag. I also had to replace the exhaust flexpipes and it smells like i'll be needing to do a valvecover gasket soon. Anyways, I had my car up on my friends lift yesterday and when I was done with it and trying to reverse it off of the lift, it would go into reverse normal and then about 2 seconds later it would just jump into neutral. Indicator indicates that it is still in reverse. It kept doing this so i would put it in neutral and then reverse about 8 times until I could actually get it off the lift. This was all done with the car at operating temperature. This morning, I started the car up to just move it back a little bit. It went into the reverse very hard and then i put my foot on the brake and it was like it popped into neutral and then back into reverse with a loud thud. It just started doing this all yesterday to my knowledge but i dont drive in reverse often. Is the tranny done for? or could it just be low on trans fluid? Thanks in advance, hopefully I wont be puttting a trans in it because I am in college with low funds...
Old 08-31-2014, 10:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the first thing to check is the fluid level. I would advocate dropping the pan and changing both the fluid and filter. With 105k on it, the transmission definitely needs it. Not very expensive to do, but your transmission will love you for it.

The problems that the ZF 5HP19 (AKA Audi 01V) transmission has on other car types (BMW) with losing reverse doesn't happen on the 01V due to a design change. This problem doesn't allow you to select reverse at any time, which is different to the problem you have.

Is the car going into limp mode after you have selected reverse? It will select reverse with a thud if this is the case. If this is happening, it's probably some electrical issue rather than a mechanical one.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

sorry for the delay, first time I have been able to work on the car because Ive been off at college. Anyways, I figured id start with a trans fluid and filter change. Just got done dropping the pan after draining the black engine oil appearing trans fluid. I found this piece in the pan stuck to one of the magnets.
Name:  7445ECB6-99E4-402A-9FBA-467BBBBB4A96.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  31.8 KB
I assume I will need a rebuild at this point? Im not sure what it is or what its from. Only gear that is messed up is reverse.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

And ive got the dreaded p0741 torque converter code...
The following users liked this post:
Cryto16 (01-25-2024)
Old 10-06-2014, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I hauled the car to a somewhat local euro car repair shop. They concluded that it needs the trans rebuilt/replaced and a new torque converter as I suspected. They said they could possibly put in an unknown condition used trans and tc for $2500 with no warranty. Too much of a gamble for me to go that route. I am a senior in college going to school for automotive engineering and have a good car mechanical background but limited tools to do the trans removal install, ie no lift. I may be able to have the trans removed at the school and installed for basically free as part of a class. They would not be able to rebuild the trans though. I have found a video tutorial for the trans rebuild on a 5hp19 trans non Quattro (mine being Quattro) that didn't look very frightening. I have not rebuilt an auto trans before although I have done several manual gear boxes, full engine rebuilds etc. With reference to a zf rebuild manual and the videos, how possible would it be for me to do the rebuild on the transmission myself? 0% chance or good chance with right tools, reference manuals etc. Thanks in advance! Trying to not call it quits on this otherwise nice vehicle!